• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

High wheel line trimmers

ghautz

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
My wife and the neighbor lady are conspiring to get a high wheel line trimmer. The deal is that I will be responsible for maintaining it (and probably for much of the use:smileywac ). The neighbor has found an old DR trimmer that apparently needs a significant amount of repair. I would prefer something reliable. I have looked on the web at several brands and nearly all that I can find with good reviews have been redesigned since those reviews. My FIL and a former neighbor each have a Craftsman model that has worked well, but the new models use a different head and, apparently, an engine with plastic gears that have not held up well for some people. The products of the MTD brands (Troy Built and Yard-Man, for two) have some rather negative reviews. New DR products are priced out of consideration. Husquvarna has a good reputation, but I cannot find any reviews of their models. Does anyone here have any recent experience with these? If I could get these women to hold off, the best bet is probably to find a 3 or 4 year old Craftsman, but...

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
Just what does "a significant amount of repair" amount to?? A friend has an old MTD that has cut weeds and grass up to the gates of hell and back and just keeps asking for more.
As for the plastic gears,IIRC Chevy used fiber timing gears on the old 216 cu in "dipper" 6's for a lot of years. Haven't heard much on the plastic gears today.
As for the craftsman,who makes it?
Mike

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
best bet is probably to find a 3 or 4 year old Craftsman, but...
I suggest there must be better bargains than an old Craftsman.

I bought a Craftsman high wheel string trimmer in 2001 and wore it out in about 50 hours of abuse, using it as the primary mower here before I bought the tractor. The front spindle is the heart of the machine and it got sloppy then if I remember right, the pulley shattered. It cost over $50. The clutch (belt control) also went flaky so I have to hold the engage lever in place with one hand while I hold the deadman bar with the other. Also it has puked oil since day 1. I think MTD built those for Craftsman since the front spindle was an MTD part.

I still use it to clean the last few inches around trees and flowerbeds where the tractor won't fit but it's an example to me of a frustrating cheap tool.

It still starts easily, runs strong, and cuts well, even shredding berry bush canes.

I would look for a better brand.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I just picked up a slightly used Craftsman. No idea on how long it'll last but the way I see it, if the components for the cutter fail, I'd just move the engine over to some other implement (e.g. the wood splitter). I got it for $80 and I figure the 6.75hp B&S engine is easily that. If you find something similar (a quasi-disposable unit) and may have other uses for the engine, it may be the way to go.

ghautz

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
Went with the neighbor this morning to look at the DR she found. It is apparently less than 2 years old, but has been left out in the weather. I'm going to check it out to see what it needs. She can get it for considerably less than the price of a new one, so it might be worth fixing.

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
I would jump on the DR. I think its better quality than a Craftsman.

2 years couldn't have done much damage beyond appearance and maybe spiderwebs in the magneto or a dried out carb, no big deal.

ghautz

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
I have no doubt that the DR is better quality. However, after inspecting it, I find this one is older than I was led to believe. A call to the factory confirmed it was made in '94. The engine won't fire--apparently no spark. Since my neighbor wants to buy it, I will let her decide. Repair parts are available, but I would think that at that age, it could develop expensive mechanical problems. The owner is willing to sell it cheap. It might be worthwhile for someone needing a project, but I don't.