• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

J5 the ultimate moose rig.

akimp

After a lot of work and dedication the J5 did a fantastic job on my family's annual moose and bear hunt. Incrediable flotation in the swamps and able to climb tundra covered hills that the suzuki king quad could not the J5 was a crucial part of hauling a whole moose out of the back country to camp. I did blow a rear tire from a broken grouser about 1/2 mile from camp which required removing the track in the pouring rain. Solid tires for the rear next hunting season. Can the solid tires fit on a standard rim or does the rim have to be bolted together?
The monster truck in the photo did not make it out of camp. Broke of a key on the main shaft supplying power to the drive axles. Pops is machining a lager key in the shaft as I type.

Attachments

• IMG_0574.jpg
    IMG_0574.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG_0578.jpg
    IMG_0578.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 248
  • trudy 1.jpg
    trudy 1.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 249
  • trudy tundra.jpg
    trudy tundra.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 246
  • truck.jpeg
    truck.jpeg
    135.4 KB · Views: 245

akimp

We got the moose started with cum alongs and backed up to a tree and slowly drove forward to drag the moose on the rest of the way. i'm going to put a winch on for next year with some roller on the ROPS to help with the process. A winch is going to be used to pull me out if I get stuck. Had the machine to the running boards in mud and muskeg and was not able to pop its nose out to the vegetation. We cum along off a rock and it Poped the nose up enough to be able to drive out of it. I was very nervous about that one.

J5 Bombardier

Nice pics and a great looking moose. Solids , new and old style are a two piece rim. Good idea to get a set on the rear.
J5 Bombardier

akimp

Solids will go on the back for sure. I had enough air in the tire to get out of the swamp before the track started skipping. Some more pictures of hunting camp with Mt McKinley in the background.

Attachments

• mtn.jpg
    mtn.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 240
  • moon.jpg
    moon.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 226
  • fall.jpg
    fall.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 226

the old trucker

Nice pics and a great looking moose. Solids , new and old style are a two piece rim. Good idea to get a set on the rear.
J5 Bombardier

My friend has solid tires all around his J5. They are the one piece rim. The ones that filled them just checked out the condition of the rim & tire, installed new tubes & filled them up. Still working great.
J5 bombardier what do you mean by a 2 piece rim ??

J5 Bombardier

I was talking about the solid tires, which are sandwiched between a rim that can be unbolted to replace the rubber. The foam filled pneumatic tires are another option.
J5 Bombardier