• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

rear drive differential

Hello,
Can anyone identify the differential in the picture ? Its on a homemade snowcat and is a two speed differential. The lever in on the right side shifts it. I broke something internal and wanted to identify it to see if there are parts available. thanks

Attachments

• cat1.jpg
    cat1.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 529
  • cat3.jpg
    cat3.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 535
  • cat.jpg
    cat.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 561
  • cat2.jpg
    cat2.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 542

PJL

This is a pic of a M29 Weasel differential. Looks like what you have.

Attachments

• brakes9.jpg
    brakes9.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 538

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
The chassis of that cat appears to be an A model spryte,

Could be a lite foot proto-type

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
only two things make me suggest that it is an A model.

A) the structure that would have been holding the original diff is not there a B/C model hangs from the tunnel, A models hang in an underslung manner and they rely on the drop boxes for support.
B) the Sprockets that drive the track look very much the same as the larger A model. smaller bolt pattern.

I am no expert, but to have those parts and gousers would be odd to have it been modified from any other model? are you axles coil springs?

Yes, actually I have been in a selling mood recently,(doesn't happen often) There is a bidding situation on the 58' ST4, a couple of gentlemen are bantering with a indecisive seller......

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
A model sprytes are great machines, Of all the cat chassis's I play with I really enjoy how nimble and light the A models are.

The banter is fun and centered around the 58' machine. it is currently subaru powered, I have the original engine also.

Thebartman

HI. I'm in Helena. We should get a group together. Maybe, someday a snowcat jamboree on our home turf?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 379
After visiting Beartooth yesterday and looking at his amazing collection of snowcats, I was motivated to lay out on the frozen ground and tear into the rear differential on the snowcat. Here is what cat4.jpgI found in the left side drop box. That's a triple roller chain broken and wadded up in there.

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
Any ideas of where we go for a cat gathering ?

McCall Idahoe is prob the closest for you. see the mccallin all cats entry in adventures http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/showthread.php?t=77286

even if you can't get the cat there, go yourself, it is a great networking opportunity and the ability to pick brains of those who have already been down the roads you are about to travel. or to discuss those things we all hold dearly: quality of snow, public lands, hot booze drinks...

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
Oh, and the highway department wants to discuss your source of aluminum skin for your cat...

Snowy Rivers

Montana

I am curious about the chain boxes used on your cat ????

I have a very good chance of securing a WEASEL rear axle for my project and knowing what your boxes came from (Or home made) would be sweet.

Thanks

Completely homemade ! I was totally amazed when I disassembled this machine at the craftsmanship, countless hours the builder put into this. I talked to the builders son last night and he told me his dad build that that cat with an arc welder using E 6011 rod completely under the Big Montana Sky. (no shop). I can take some pictures of it as I am about put it back together thanks to U.S. Roller chain and sprocket company. (very nice people) The builder suspended the weasel differential by sliding a 1/2 piece of flatiron between the differential and axle tube, axle tube bolts hold the diff in place. The drive axle has a pillow block bearing bolted to the cover for the drop box. You can also see where he welded some side gear that fit his axle splines into the center of the sprocket. His son told me that the cat is powered by a 287 Rambler V-8 backed with an automatic transmission. A low budget marvel to say the least.

Cletis

Montana B, I just spent a few days around Jackson, Wy. The powder was crazy fun. Driving over Togwotee pass out of Dubois was killing me not to stop and play. Powder was deep! I plan on several trips to Togwotee pass next yr for sure. Not sure about this yr but if you Montanans had any good, deep powder areas up there to play in for next yr, I'd be in for coming up from Wy.

Cletis