• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

1950s usu trackmaster

River badger

Hey, I recently picked up a 1950s Trackmaster. Slowly starting to go through the machine. I have found lots of broken grousers. Does anybody have any info on grousers for that particular machine? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks Ryan

Attachments

• 0301181059a.jpg
    0301181059a.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 264

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
kinda looks like a good machine to start with, hope you are able to post photos of your progress restoring the trackmaster, know there have been a couple trackmaster restorations started but never seen one done, thinking you have a great opportunity to show how to finish one.

good luck

GMoose

GOLD Site Supporter
Looks like the same tracks as my Frandee Model D (also from Utah Agricultural college in Logan Utah - predecessor to Thiokol). I spent years looking for track parts and found none that were available. I ended up making my own. I made jigs and was able to manufacture several tire guides from mild steel, the same as the originals. I also made wear plates that go on top of the wood cleat. The cleats are 2 inch thick hickory. All is held together with flat head screws and square nuts like the original tracks.

Attachments

• DSCN3695.jpg
    DSCN3695.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 277
  • DSCN3579.jpg
    DSCN3579.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 270
  • DSCN2067.jpg
    DSCN2067.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 255
  • DSCN2076.jpg
    DSCN2076.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 257

GMoose

GOLD Site Supporter
Also, make sure you do not use the military style tires, they destroy the tire guides. I use vintage truck tires (Coker I think) I got from Summit Racing, they are the same design as truck tires from the 50's. They are 4 ply bias and have a basic hyway tread but grip just fine if the tracks are tensioned properly. I was able to repair the majority of my tire guides that were broken by welding, they tend to brake at the peaks where the cold bend is made at the peaks of the "W". If you have broken tire guides do not throw them away, keep them, they can most likely be repaired.

River badger

Thanks for all the replies, it has been quite a task trying to get the old broken grousers taken off the track. Lots of pulling, pushing, prodding, punching, grinding, welding, grinding, painting. And of course the bloody knuckles. Looking like I may need to have around 25 to 30 grousers made up. One side is definitely worse than the other. Another thing I noticed when looking through the forums Was An Old Post of 2 1950s Trackmasters and the tracks rolled up next to them all the grousers looked in great condition. The two units were located in the Northwest Territories. Ring any bells.? Here's a couple of pictures of the grousers I've redone Thanks again Ryan

Attachments

• 0427181313.jpg
    0427181313.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 257
  • 0427181313a.jpg
    0427181313a.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 238
  • 0412181445.jpg
    0412181445.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 242

vintagebike

Yes, an expensive group effort dragged two Trackmasters down from Yellow Knife a while back. Turns out they were too far gone for restoration so we stripped them of all the usable or saveable bits. I do have extra grousers, wheel guides and the metal wear plates. Much more too but I will be out of Idaho till June 1st or so. I now have 3 4VL Trackmasters, two running and one that is on my to-do list. These pics show the two runners as found in Nevada and California.
C8DB8F58-48EA-40E0-83A2-8EA1A8F1C82F.jpg

C4934E6A-5411-41C2-8AED-501351E425F1.jpg

GMoose

GOLD Site Supporter
After looking at your latest photos posted it looks like the Frandee tire guides are taller and will not work, so disregard.