• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Craigslist

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
Doc, how about renaming this forum Ebay and Craigslist.

I think craigslist has reached critical mass and has become the dominant site for transactions that are essentially local such as housing rentals, ordinary vehicles, and a lot of job listings. The same stuff that traditionally was in the newspaper classifieds. I think several of us will use craigslist from time to time, and what we know about Ebay isn't necessarily applicable.

And I have my own cautionary tale for any craigslist newbie. I first used craigslist this weekend to list the rental cabin out at the ranch. I had forgotten how broad a range of humanity you become exposed to when showing a rental - it's been a long time since I owned the 8 units (3 locations) that seemed to turn over constantly.

Two of my applicants were 50ish single women who were embarked on searches to find themselves. "I'm the ideal tenant for you: someone who travels light (no furniture of my own; have sold it)..." and the other lady (sig line) "One of the signs of maturity is developing the ability to tolerate living in ambiguity...". This is a tiny cabin clearly described as suitable for a single student with room for only student-type possessions. I'm not running a mental health clinic.

Three other applicants emailed that I should phone them long-distance to cell phone numbers elsewhere because they hadn't bothered to get a California phone number since arriving. My phone number was in the ad, let's make this conversation on your dime.

Only two applicants phoned and seemed familiar with the area. Both came to see it, and the second signed a rental agreement.

But my strangest reply was the following:

Reply-To: dcm3210@yahoo.com
Subject: Am Interested In Your Apartment !!!
To: jialins@yahoo.com <........................................[that's not me!]

Hello there,
Compliment of the season,
How is today with you, Your work and your family over there?
I hope all is going on Healthy with you.

I am writing On behalf of the Apartment you placed on the Web for renting,

Am Amanda Wong by name, 27 years of age, Am from Richmond, BC. Very Gentle and i pocess a great Sense Of Humour, And i like Travelling to see new places most times. I respect people alot and i expect the same in Returns,

I dont let people burst words into me anyhow, BUT......... I prefer people taking Excuses from me,

Am an Independent Model myself, I presently work for THE
European Union at the Richmond Model United Nations
located @ c/o UNA-Canada,
Suite 300, 309 Cooper Street, Ottawa, ON ,K2P 0G5.

Here is my Company's Website if you care to know more about me

http://www.canimun.org/ModelUN/english/pr.shtml

I will be relocating to the United States Of American {U.S.A} soon to school in the United Nation Conference (U.N.A), This is the Exact reason why I am Writting to you, I would like to be your roommate,

I have Checked and Rectified the price and am Convinent with it all,
I Am ready to pay for the apartment If you would accept me as your roommate,

The next step i need to know now is how you want me to make the payment for the Availabe Apartment,

Perhaps you prefer the money to be paid in CHEQUE or MONEY ORDERS. I would like to know which ever way of the two ways i have STATED in above you prefer me to pay you,

If you are Convinent with it then send me all of your Informations in which i would Use to send down the Payment in CHEQUE or In MONEY ORDERS to you so things can be done fast in odder for me to meet up with the FLIGHT schedule.

reply to my Personal e-mail address >>>> dcm3210@yahoo.com

Get back to me ASAP,
Amanda Wong.

-------------------------------end quote------------

Ya sure, Amanda. Model United Nations is a legitimate student-debate type outfit, but I really doubt that Model UN has Independent Models on staff. Maybe you should send me a photo before I provide you my banking information?

Takes all kinds, I guess.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I think that is a very good suggestion CA. :thumb:

....So, you don't need a live in model ehhh? It sure takes all kinds.
I had thoughts of starting gregslist ..... a knock off of craigslist; while I have not given up on the idea I have not made it happen either.

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
I think that we should keep them seperate. Craigs list is ok for local items, but ebay is more universal... Junk...

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I don't think we have enough traffic in these forums for seperate areas. I'd just keep them together for now and seperate them later if they get busy.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Junkman said:
I think that we should keep them seperate. Craigs list is ok for local items, but ebay is more universal... Junk...

I was looking at post totals and Ebay was / is one of the lowest posted in forums in our general forum area. I was considering combining it with something else ....but what. So to me, CA's suggestion came at the perfect time. I'd like to target this forum to discuss any online type transactions.

cj7

My first exp[erience with CL went well. The one thing that I liked the most was that I could still place an ad and NOT have my phone number up on the net. I of course have the convenince of being able to check e-mail often and some do not. Sold what I had listed in about a week.

good luck !

Eric L

Site Supporter
cj7 said:
The one thing that I liked the most was that I could still place an ad and NOT have my phone number up on the net.

I agree about not having to put your # up, but I've found that by NOT giving my e-mail addy, and only providing my phone #, it weeds out a lot of the looky-loos. It takes an extra step to pick up the phone and only the more serious buyers go through the effort.

Eric

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Eric L said:
I agree about not having to put your # up, but I've found that by NOT giving my e-mail addy, and only providing my phone #, it weeds out a lot of the looky-loos. It takes an extra step to pick up the phone and only the more serious buyers go through the effort.

Eric

That's funny. I use Craigslist all the time and when selling clearly state they have to use email. That way I can prioritize. I don't want to talk to kooks on the phone. I suspect it's a personal preference thing.

PB

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
Junkman said:
I think that we should keep them seperate. Craigs list is ok for local items, but ebay is more universal...
When they work properly then the two venues are different and call for different sales strategies.

But the reason I propose combining them in one forum here, is that the scams rampant in both are similar. Discussion here can help sharpen our 'street sense' to make better use of either site without wasting time dodging scams.

I wouldn't mind a standalone craigslist forum but I wouldn't expect to see any more traffic than we see in this present ebay forum.