• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

New (used) toys

JimR

Charter Member
I picked up a used Shaver post hole digger on monday that was in need of minor repairs for $100.00. The driven gear had sheared the woodruff key. In replacing that I had to also replace the upper shaft bearing as I couldn't get it off without destroying it. I also replaced the two pto shaft u-joints. Total cost was $170.00. The 3ph frame is made for a Cat 0 and 1 setup. But it was too short for my tractor. I mounted it on a drawbar and still need to add some length to the upper arms to get more clearance. These PHD are really awesome tool to use. I do have the guards for it and will install them back on before I use it the next time. I wish I had this when I put up the outdoor chicken fence last year. Now I can remove the fence and install it the right way. I just banged the pipes in the ground. They shift with the frost. Now I can punch some holes and cement the poles in place. I also bought a LeBlond Regal Lathe today. I think the size is 13" x 30". I paid $400.00 for it. I hope to have it home tomorrow in pieces. It is in a basement and needs to be dissassembled to move it. It came with plenty of tooling. Pictures will follow when I find the time to clean it up, paint it and put it back together. Here is what the upper part looks like. Mine has two lower legs like the one in the picture on the right side. This is a gearhead unit with the threading attachment.

Attachments

• LeBlond2.jpg
    LeBlond2.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 80
  • DSC00740.JPG
    DSC00740.JPG
    147.1 KB · Views: 83

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
If you find another PHD that is more to your liking, I would be interested in this one. It looks like it would work well on my BX.... thanks Junk......

JimR

Charter Member
Hi Junk, This is the perfect size for a BX type unit. It came off of a Cub Cadet 7205. I WILL let you know if I get a bigger unit. I punched 3 32 inch deep holes with this in less than a few minutes on wednesday. What an incredible piece of equipment these are. I hear they work well for digging graves for cats and other small animals too.

On the free dirt. I have yet to see another load since I last mentioned all the free dirt I had gotten for free. They must have found a closer spot to dump it. At least I got my road built and almost enough fill for the ramp on the backside of the barn.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I love my post hole digger. Actually I don't own the digger, I just own the auger bit. My neighbor owns the PHD. But both are in my garage :D I think I use about 3 times as much as he does, but he paid the bulk of the cost :thumb:

With a 12" auger bit they are great for planting potted shrubs in pots up to about 3 gallons, they are also great for planting small bare root trees. To plant larger trees with burlapped wrapped root balls I find it is quick to drill 3 holes in a triangle pattern and then shovel out the center spoils. Just make sure you don't drill too deep! It is possible for the tree to sink if the holes are drilled too deep and the soil under the root ball is not compacted properly.

JimR

Charter Member
With your luck, you will probably find a $1000 BX instead..... Junk...

If I did find one that cheap, I'd sell it as it would be too small for all the things that I use my tractor for. I almost wish now that I had bought just a little bit bigger machine. I may have a 5' brush hog and a 5-6 foot 3ph snowblower coming in the near future. I'm doing some work for someone that has these. They no longer have a need for them. I just may offer my labor for their farm equipment. They also have some hay baling equipment, hay ladder, land plow and other farm items sitting around rusting away. Damn, I'll need to build another building to house all this stuff. Hhhmmm, Maybe I can finish off under my barn to make it waterproof. That would give me a place to store all this farm equipment.

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
I will pick up the PHD and give you a small profit.... that way, you will have room for all the other stuff. I will even let you borrow it if you need it later on.... Want to trade a new 7' 6" snow plow blade for it??????? Junk......

JimR

Charter Member
Your a funny guy Junk. I have an 8 foot Fisher blade on my Ford F250 now. I just sold off my 6.5 foot Fisher setup from my Blazer last year. I was going to mount it in the bucket on my Cub Cadet. That was until my neighbor told me that my little tractor would have a hard time pushing snow with it. He has a BIG JD 90 hp 4wd with an 8 foot blade. I see that plow pushing his tractor sideways in heavy snow. I will keep you in mind if I come across a bigger PHD.

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
If a 8' blade is pushing around a JD 90 HP 4 wheel drive tractor, then he doesn't know how to plow and doesn't have the tires with ballast. I push a 8' fisher blade with a 1978 F250 4 wd dump truck and never get stuck no matter how deep the snow. You have to know how to push the snow to the side and then back up and take another bite. If you get enough snow built up in front of any plow and the speed is slow, then it will bog the vehicle down and it will push you sideways. Plowing is more than pushing snow. You have to develop a feel for the snow and know that all snow is not the same. Junk....

JimR

Charter Member
I agree with the feel for plowing snow. The big difference between plowing with a Ford F250/350 and a JD with the same blade is the fact that the plow is way the hell out front on the JD. This causes a lot more leverage on the JD than our pickups which have the blade close to the wheels. The other big issue is plowing fast enough to make the snow roll off the blade. I plow his driveway at the farm near me because I can get the job done in less than half the time he can. I call him when the drifts are over two feet deep and let him bust them with his JD. He plants me a garden each year and we both are happy neighbors.

JimR

Charter Member
Bob said, I love my post hole digger. Actually I don't own the digger, I just own the auger bit. My neighbor owns the PHD. But both are in my garage :D I think I use about 3 times as much as he does, but he paid the bulk of the cost :thumb:

With a 12" auger bit they are great for planting potted shrubs in pots up to about 3 gallons, they are also great for planting small bare root trees. To plant larger trees with burlapped wrapped root balls I find it is quick to drill 3 holes in a triangle pattern and then shovel out the center spoils. Just make sure you don't drill too deep! It is possible for the tree to sink if the holes are drilled too deep and the soil under the root ball is not compacted properly.

Good idea Bob about using the PHD for planting small trees/flowers and such. The wife might enjoy me punching holes for her in the sprintime instead of her using the shovel. Thanks

The lathe made it home today. It took me two hours to tear it down and get it moved into my pickup with a little help from the new homeowner. Now it sits in pieces in the barn waiting to be cleaned up, painted and re-assembled. Hopefully in the next few weeks I can get that done. Then I will need to make a space for it in my garage and move it over witht he tractor. I know one thing, that lathe is heavy for a small lathe.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I hated my PHD. It was good for putting in my fencing but it was such a hassle to hook up for the few holes I will occasionally have to dig. I sold it for what I paid for it so there was no loss.

Maybe I'm still young enough to use a shovel though. Word on the street is that Junk is an old fart and probably can't lift a shovel anymore!

;)

JimR

Charter Member
PBinWA said:
I hated my PHD. It was good for putting in my fencing but it was such a hassle to hook up for the few holes I will occasionally have to dig. I sold it for what I paid for it so there was no loss.

Maybe I'm still young enough to use a shovel though. Word on the street is that Junk is an old fart and probably can't lift a shovel anymore!

;)

If you had a BIG enough auger, you could bury that avatar of yours in the hole.:yum: :yum: :yum:

JimR

Charter Member
The lathe project is coming along slowly. Here's the base all done and the belt covers all painted a Ford grey. The V belts arrived today for it. I still need to clean up the rest of the lathe and paint it.

Attachments

• DSC00742.JPG
    DSC00742.JPG
    150.6 KB · Views: 34
  • DSC00743.JPG
    DSC00743.JPG
    147.4 KB · Views: 33
  • DSC00744.JPG
    DSC00744.JPG
    154.7 KB · Views: 32

JimR

Charter Member
The rest of the tooling that came with it. I think it is also time to clean my barn up a bit. It is getting too congested.

Attachments

• DSC00745.JPG
    DSC00745.JPG
    149.2 KB · Views: 32

JimR

Charter Member
Thnaks Don,

I didn't even catch that one. This one will be better.

Attachments

• DSC00745.JPG
    DSC00745.JPG
    149.2 KB · Views: 19