• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Looking for radios

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
I am trying to find a set of radios for my wife to use while teaching students on the horses. We would like to have each student to have a headset and VOX boom microphone, and the trainer would have a headset and PTT boom microphone. Here's the catch, we'd like to have the trainer to have the ability to address one of the student radios individually, or the entire group as a whole. I have found several vendors who make what are called "Tour radios", but they are one way only, and broadcast to the entire group.

I'm guessing this would require some kind of digital encoding to allow the addressable radios.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
DaveNay said:
I am trying to find a set of radios for my wife to use while teaching students on the horses. We would like to have each student to have a headset and VOX boom microphone, and the trainer would have a headset and PTT boom microphone. Here's the catch, we'd like to have the trainer to have the ability to address one of the student radios individually, or the entire group as a whole. I have found several vendors who make what are called "Tour radios", but they are one way only, and broadcast to the entire group.

I'm guessing this would require some kind of digital encoding to allow the addressable radios.
How many students would be in the arena at a time?

I don't have any experience with them but it sounds like you're looking for something similar to a Motorola CP100. They have headsets available as well.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
bczoom said:
How many students would be in the arena at a time?

No more than 6 students, and one instructor.

bczoom said:
...it sounds like you're looking for something similar to a Motorola CP100.

Ideally, the instructor would have some kind of hand held control that would have 7 buttons....one for each student, and an "all" button. By pressing the respective button, instructions could be sent to only an individual, not the entire group. When desired, the "all" button would broadcast to all six students. Transmissions from a student would be heard only by the instructor, and not the other students.

edit: "Traditional" RF radio is not a requirement....perhaps Bluetooth or 802.11 wireless or.....?

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
DaveNay said:
No more than 6 students, and one trainer.
Do a google search on "Motorola CP100" and take a look to see if it would meet your needs. There's some on e-bay as well to get pricing and such but be careful on e-bay as the ones I looked at didn't give much in terms of the description (as I believe there's 2 models).

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I use these for instruction with voice activated headsets. Instructor headset has a one button pigtail. You could give each student their own channel and you just dial in the right one. I teach in groups so I just assign the same channel to everyone.
Student headset has a button on the headset for overide reply!

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
bczoom said:
Do a google search on "Motorola CP100" and take a look to see if it would meet your needs. There's some on e-bay as well to get pricing and such but be careful on e-bay as the ones I looked at didn't give much in terms of the description (as I believe there's 2 models).

I did. It is a multi channel radio, but it is not individually addressable.

The Motorola DTR550 looks like it has the features I am looking for, but not quite as convenient for the instructor to use.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Big Dog said:
I use these for instruction with voice activated headsets. Instructor headset has a one button pigtail. You could give each student their own channel and you just dial in the right one. I teach in groups so I just assign the same channel to everyone.
Student headset has a button on the headset for overide reply!

BD, you are using the CP100 that Brian suggested? :confused2:

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Big Dog said:
yes, older version

Hmmm...I took another look, and yes, they are individually addressable (instructor scrolls through the channels), but is there a method of broadcasting to the entire group? What about the student->instructor communications, the instructor would have to be on the correct channel to hear the student.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
DaveNay said:
Hmmm...I took another look, and yes, they are individually addressable (instructor scrolls through the channels), but is there a method of broadcasting to the entire group? What about the student->instructor communications, the instructor would have to be on the correct channel to hear the student.

Correct......... you can't have the cake and eat it too!

Now you can get outfits to do what you want but you ain't gonna want to pay for it.

I'm rigged out at under $270 a student!

Now you could look here ................... :hide:

http://www.earmark.com

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I believe all the features you need are there.

At this point, I'd head off to a good radio shop to get into details.

Not sure if it's an option for you but thought I recall there being a "base" unit as well. The options on the base unit made it faster for the instructor (in your case) to just push a button to determine on which channel to broadcast. The rightmost button was "all channels". Putting a vest on each rider (or on the horse) with a number printed on it that matches their radio may be beneficial as well.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Big Dog said:
Correct......... you can't have the cake and eat it too!

I'm rigged out at under $270 a student!
The Motorola DTR410 looks like it has all the features. It is prices in the low $300's online. I might get three for a trial purpose...have to check return policies.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
bczoom said:
I believe all the features you need are there.

At this point, I'd head off to a good radio shop to get into details.

Not sure if it's an option for you but thought I recall there being a "base" unit as well. The options on the base unit made it faster for the instructor (in your case) to just push a button to determine on which channel to broadcast. The rightmost button was "all channels". Putting a vest on each rider (or on the horse) with a number printed on it that matches their radio may be beneficial as well.

Yes, getting my hands on a few radios is definitely going to be the only way to find out for sure.

Numbers or colors is absolutely going to be required to keep track of who is who on what channel.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
My radios 2 years ago were about $110............ I had to have high noise headsets at around $170.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Big Dog said:
My radios 2 years ago were about $110............ I had to have high noise headsets at around $170.

Good point...I didn't include the price of VOX headsets.