• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Started on the shed

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
Wood arrived today, got roof done (timbers and ply on), except the black roofing, need to get a trailer before I do that.
Should finish the siding tomorrow. I also made some hinges for doors the other day.

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
Jim; How's your eye? Black and blue? And where the bloody 'ell are the photos?:yum::burp::tiphat:

BoneheadNW

Is that measure twice, cut once or measure once, cut twice? I can never remember.
Mithy- put a good cut of steak on that eye for 1 hour at 35 degrees C. Drink 3 pints, cook the steak medium-rare, eat it with a large baked potato, a bunch of fresh asparagus, and a nice salad. Drink 3 more pints and have a full body massage by a beautiful young lady. What was your injury again?:burp:
Bonehead

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
Eye is OK, it hit just down far enough to just give me a cut, no pretty colours for me :(

Bone, if you are really cunning when you plan it, you can make every piece of wood be a multiple of 300mm long, meaning that you can order exactly the right size, little cutting :a1: Measuring is for :wussie: anyway :yum:

Drank some cider that next door brought back from cornwall, its like drinking a pint of wine that stuff, strong! :eek:

Took a photo out the window.....
DSCF0835.jpg

BoneheadNW

Mith, what is that black bar outside your window?

I see you have the pool and hammuck set up. Nothing like a dip and a snooze.
Bonehead

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
Mith said:
y :yum:

Drank some cider that next door brought back from cornwall, its like drinking a pint of wine that stuff, strong! :eek:

A yup! Judging by the angle of that photo, the cider must have done it's magic.:yankchain::yum:
Good job in any case Jim. Keep on, keeping on!!!:burp::burp::tiphat:

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
BoneheadNW said:
Mith, what is that black bar outside your window?

Obvously, those are the bars of the Asylum that Mith is currently committed to. He had to take the picture by sticking his arm out the window, through the bars. That explains the weird angle. It must have been after curfew, otherwise he would have taken the picture from close-up. :5boobs:

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
BH, the bar is a drainpipe from the shelter roof. I took the picture by sticking my head out the window and looking to the left, I cant usually see it. The hammock is great, except your bum scrapes along the ground, and if you swing too far you hit the junk that is under the shelter there.

You guys like the swimming pool? :yum: Its about 1' deep on the downhill side, and about 1" on the uphill. We have no flat ground, so its a bit useless really :D And you have to fish all the dead flies etc off the top with the tea strainer first before getting in. Its nice on the first day, but after a while it gets a bit nasty.

Nearly done today.
DSCF0837.jpg

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Mith said:
You guys like the swimming pool? :yum: Its about 1' deep on the downhill side, and about 1" on the uphill. We have no flat ground, so its a bit useless really :D And you have to fish all the dead flies etc off the top with the tea strainer first before getting in. Its nice on the first day, but after a while it gets a bit nasty.

You need to get the shovel out and level a spot for that pool. You might get an even 20" all over then.

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
Way ahead of you, the 1 metre bag of sand is waiting in the drive to be spread out to level the area :D

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
By the time you have gone to all that trouble the English weather will have changed and we will be having rain and cold again! Mith it is a total waste of time trying to have a swimming (or even a paddling pool) outside.

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
Hey, ya got more done, and even moved the pool and chairs. I like that siding, is it shiplapped? How did you make the hinges for the door? Might be something I'd like to try meself.:confused2::burp::burp::tiphat:

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
Ice, the pool cost £20, used it a couple times this year, so you really cant complain :D I'm wating for snow in August :yum: I dont know though, the last 2 years I have been mowing lawns until Christmas day, it still stays pretty warm and dry late now.

John, yup, Dave came back, that means we get lots done :D With just me, or my Dad 'helping' :)yum: :D) not a whole load gets done :yum:
The siding is featheredging, just the cheaper version of shiplapping. it used wedge shaped boards that overlap slightly, so the water just runs down them.
You could have asked for pics of the hinges before we shiplapped around them, but I'll do my best.
I made the hinges using some strip steel, and a peice of box. They are offset, so that when the door opens it moves outwards. This way, when the door is open and standing out 90 degrees normally the thickness of the door would be standing into the doorway, with the offset hinges it is outside the door, that way you can put stuff the full width of the doorway through it. I'll take some pics of them, and some pics to explain what I mean.

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
John, got some pics for ya

First shows the closed hinge
Second, open hinge (note the wonky screws, there is a nail just in line with them, so we put them in angled to miss it)
Third, why i made my own, the door opens so it is flush with the doorway, so an item the full width of the door can go through.

I have still got some welding to do on them, and weld the pins in, but I'm going to wait until its 100% finished before I effectively weld to the door on. They aint pretty, but they do exactly what I want, and do it how I want :D

Attachments

• DSCF0838 (Small).JPG
    DSCF0838 (Small).JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 82
  • DSCF0839 (Small).JPG
    DSCF0839 (Small).JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 80
  • DSCF0840 (Small).JPG
    DSCF0840 (Small).JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 80

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
Jim; Pure genius as usual. Good thinkin' mate. Can I borrow that idea? What's with the siding being green? Is it some sort of preservative like borate? I like that colour. It oughta look great when weathered a tad.

:thumb::a1::burp::tiphat:

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
Thanks, use the idea all you want. One day someone gunna sell one of my better ideas for lots of £££, that will be a bad day.

Yep, the green is preservative. The wood is treated anyway, but the green stands out a little less. You can see what it looks like 2 years old on the old bit of shed, it looks a bit less bright. :D

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
That colour looks great being weathered a little. Did ya get anymore done today?:burp::burp::tiphat:

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
I put some locks on the door, other than that, running out of things to do really.

I dont want to knock the wall through until after I get back, so I cant put the window in yet. I cant get the roofing until we get the van back, or get a trailer.

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
Oh yeah, you're about to go on holiday aren't you? Have a fun filled adventure, and don't hurt yourself!!:burp::burp::tiphat:

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
Yep, this sunday, going to a mates house, then off the next morning. :a1:

BoneheadNW

Mith-
Where are you going on vacation? Are you headed out to visit (what is left of) Bob's house? I checked out the weather for your area and it looks like the temps are in the 70's range. Is that right?

So what are your plans for the shed? What gets to live in there?
Bone

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
BH, going to the Isle of Wight, same place as last year. Same site as last year, same people as last year (mostly).
Temp sounds about right, its windy and cloudy, the occasional spot of rain. Still very hot though, humidity......

I'm going to fit as much of my stuff in there as possible as I can, its mainly for storage and to free up the other part of the shed for workshop space.

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
20-08-06_1241.jpg

Its full already, as can be seen in the photo (taken in the doorway). Total size is 10x30', the top part is 6' tall, the bottom part is 10' tall.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Looks good Jim!!!

In the new section, will you be putting shelves or something up high to utilize some of that 10' height?

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
I'm working on some method of stacking tractors to use that height, but yes, shelves will probably go up too.
The main bonus of the height is that now I can now build and work on 'items' over 7' tall.The wall above the door also means that with little work, I can fit in items 10' tall.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Looks good Mith. Gives you a bunch more storage space. :thumb:

Mith said:
Stacked tractors

Sounds a little scary Mith. Maybe you need one of those lifts like Dargo put in. Whatever you do be careful stacking tractors ....but be sure to take pics to show us all. :D

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
I told you it would rain!! And it has, but I hope you had a good holiday anyway. Have got my pass for Dorset, and hope (Foden willing) that I will be down in the Diesel Heavy Haulage Section as usual. Do you want me to load that Wheelhorse to add to your collection, if the Foden makes it (it is still untried and I have to go with fingers and everything else crossed) I can carry the wheelhorse, can you collect if from there if I do?

Nice shed, by the way!

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
Ice,
Its been raining a few showers in the past week. Rain while we are camping isnt a problem, we just hide under the big tent, or just get wet, no big deal.

I wont be able to collect it unfortunately, we would need the van which almost certainly wouldnt make it to the show :eek:

Anyway, time for bed now......