• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Exhaust question?

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
A few quick questions if I may
- does it matter which way round an exhaust silencer goes? (quieter one way, louder the other?)
- if so, how do I tell which way round the silencer should go?
- any problems fitting the exhaust from a 50HP car, to a 10HP stationary engine?

Thanks

Attachments

• DSCF0790 (Small).JPG
    DSCF0790 (Small).JPG
    95.7 KB · Views: 136

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
What you have there is known as a resonator, not a muffler. The resonator goes after the muffler and removes the balance of the sound that is produced by an engine. I don't know the internal workings, but I do know that if you remove the resonator, that the exhaust will be louder than if it is in place. As for direction, usually it doesn't matter, except to keep the muffler or resonator in its proper location on the vehicle to keep it from banging on the chassis. Junk...

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
So Junk, are you saying that what I have there wont muffle the exhuast?

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
:yum: It will muffle the exhaust, but not as well as a muffler. Put it on, what have you got to loose, except for your hearing??? Besides, I have been told that you don't listen very well anyway..... :yum:

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
Junk, I couldnt care whether it has a muffler or not, apart from having destroyed my hearing already, I wear ear defenders. Its the poor bugger 20' away that I'm putting the muffler on for ;)
Sounds like I need to find an unattended car to hack the muffler off, anyone want to come round to visit? :yum:

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
Its a 10HP Briggs, by stationary engine I was referring to the fact that it is self containted. Though it is quite a beast.
I'm not lucky enough to own a proper stationary engine

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
Mr Junk, may I ask 2 questions?

2nd question, which one of these is the bit that I need to silence an exhaust? The one closest to the camera is the part that goes closest to the engine on a car, the second is the bit furthest from the engine. Thanks

IceQueen, what engine do you have? Those engines are quite neat, its interesting to see them powering all sorts of odd machines. If you are wanting to get rid of it, I do have a nice new shed that needs filling :D

Attachments

• 02-09-06_1939.jpg
    02-09-06_1939.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 82

HGM

Mith said:
Mr Junk, may I ask 2 questions?

2nd question, which one of these is the bit that I need to silence an exhaust? The one closest to the camera is the part that goes closest to the engine on a car, the second is the bit furthest from the engine. Thanks

IceQueen, what engine do you have? Those engines are quite neat, its interesting to see them powering all sorts of odd machines. If you are wanting to get rid of it, I do have a nice new shed that needs filling :D

Mith,
Are you sure about that? The one at the bottom of the picture looks like the resonator(furthers from the engine) to me.. Like Av8r said, it should have a stamping on the muffler showing the proper direction..This may help some.. Either way, it should muffle the sound though it may last longer if it were installed in the correct direction.

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
Yep, absolutely positive that the one in the foreground is the one closest to the engine, I also wrote which way round it goes when it was taken off the car.

Looking at the link you provided the one in the background does look more like the muffler, but I'm sure it was after the other one. If it is infact the muffler that means the one I posted in the first post of thins thread is a muffler too, as they came off the same make of car, and from the same position.

HGM

Mith said:
If it is infact the muffler that means the one I posted in the first post of thins thread is a muffler too, as they came off the same make of car, and from the same position.

Looks like a muffler to me, but Junk sounded like he knew what he was talking about..:hide:

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
How about it being the catalytic converter? Or, as they say in the south, "cadallac converter".:pat::burp::tiphat:

Spiffy1

Huh?
SUPER Site Supporter
johnday said:
How about it being the catalytic converter? Or, as they say in the south, "cadallac converter".:pat::burp::tiphat:

If there were exactly 2 "thingys" on the exhuast and it was a stock configuration, that'd be my guess: catalytic closer to the engine, muffler closer to the tail pipe, no resonator.

HGM

Neither one of those are a cat(or look like one)... The Cat will have a honeycomb looking element in the center(in most cases).. It would look like nothing would flow through it(but it does)...Allot of cars do have a muffler and a resonator behind it, all after the cat.. The ones in the picture actually look like what you would find on a Ford Explorer, the larger one being the muffler, in front of the axle, and the smaller(round one) being the resonator, after the axle on that application..:blahblah: ....:D Anyhow, thanks for listening...........

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
If you're going to put a muffler from a 4 or 6 cyl engine on a one cyl,I don't think noise will be an issue any more.As for which way it goes, w/ the one cyl I don't think that will matter since you'll have only 1/4 or 1/6 the exhaust flow the muffler was designed for.
Mike

Spiffy1

Huh?
SUPER Site Supporter
HGM said:
The Cat will have a honeycomb looking element in the center(in most cases).. It would look like nothing would flow through it(but it does)...Allot of cars do have a muffler and a resonator behind it, all after the cat.. The ones in the picture actually look like what you would find on a Ford Explorer, the larger one being the muffler, in front of the axle, and the smaller(round one) being the resonator, after the axle on that application..
Know about that "honeycomb": I've owned one or two where it "magically evaporated" and left a hollow "catalytic converter" :whistle:

I didn't know resonators were used from the factory! Dang I'm out of touch with new vehicles.:eek:

And I never expected I'd learn anything today. :thumb:

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
Well, I took a closer look at the round 'muffler' and just visible on the label it said muffler, so I clamped it onto the exhaust and fired the engine up.

It was still loud, but less so, seemed to work OK.

Attachments

• 05-09-06_1152 (2).jpg
    05-09-06_1152 (2).jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 45

emerald

Hey Mith,

You and I would be more used to the term silencer, on my vintage stationary Lister diesel engines I used the rear box from a 1600cc car with great success. The Lister is pretty close to 1600cc and it seems to match the engine pretty good.

I have a drawing for a homebrew silencer if you want it, I used make em from stainless steel and route them through the wall of the generator room.....ahem, shack :whistle:

The Lister gives its rated output at 650RPM and even with the stock pepper can silencer its quite. I wanted to see how quiet I could make it. Now, the loudest noise/music I hear is from the exposed valve train ticking away merrily. Its all sitting on a great big steel frame I made up and weights a lots n lots. I will use it over the winter to give me leckkie for the workshop and heat via an old cast iron radiator to keep me arse warm while renovating the Land Rover. :thumb:

Emerald

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
You and I would be more used to the term silencer
Well we all know that the rest these guys use funny words so..... :D

I dont reckon I'm up for making a silencer, for starters my SS welding aint up good yet ;) If it aint too much trouble I wouldnt mind the drawing anyway though.

You thinking about making up some bio-diesel sometime then for that lister? Make your shop smell like the chippy :D Must have a bloody big workshop to fit all Lister and Landie in!

emerald

I will dig out the drawing and send it to you, care of the local nut house as usual ? :D

The Lister will be burning filtered waste engine oil. Works just fine.

There are four Listers and the Landie in the workshop, and a 20ft long x 3ft wide bench on one wall and all the steel stock and metal welding bench on the other. Then there is the next section partitioned off along side, thats got erm....well more junk than useful stuff in it. I am clearing one out at a time, the pain if dumping 'useful items' is easier to take then :smileywac

Theres a guy with an 84 ex mil demonstrator (never done any work) 110 up for grabs. He is moving over this way and wants to sell it. You might get a deal on that.

Emerald