• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Total number of Snow Trac's

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Ok all you Snow Trac historians . How many Snow Tracs were made? Seems like there are a lot more Snow Trac's then my personal favorite ,whick is a Kristi . When was the company started and where ?
As the price of snow mobiles continue to climb and with some of their limited abilities it seems to me that a market may well be developing for a personalize "family use snow cat " . With prices of up to $10,000 for just one Snow mobile ,I would think a family could do much better looking at a Cat ????? I now own 3 kristi's myself .
Big Al

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Allen, Snow Tracs were commercially produced from 1957 to 1982? I have posted production years/numbers in another thread if you'd like to refer to that for units produced in any specific year. After production ceased, a Scottish distributor continued very limited production from surplus parts for a couple more years. I've not been able to find any production figures that include the Scottish made Snow Tracs. But I'd guess that no more than 2350 total units were produced including the Scottish units. It is my understanding that the production numbers include military and civilian units.

I think your observation is valid about them being an good family recreational vehicle. Although not as fast or exciting as a new snowmobile, these things have an undeniable level of comfort and charm that cannot be captured in a modern sled. Further, they really are a very practical winter vehicle and are capable of doing am amazing amount of work. All at a fairly modest cost.

Here is an excerpt from a web article that may help you:
The over snow vehicle Snow-Trac was invented by Lars Larsson an engineer who worked for Vasteras Maskiner in Morgongava, Sweden a company that manufactured farming equipment. Like many great concepts the beginnings of the Snow-Trac stemmed from necessity. Every winter Lars would visit his home village of Oviken and his cabin in the mountains. Since it was difficult to travel there he began to develop his "snowcat" and in 1955 he registered a patent for his creation. Vasteras Maskiner, later renamed Aktiv, purchased the right to manufacture the Snow-Trac and between 1957 and 1981, 2265 machines were produced. Of that total made nearly 75% were exported and it is believed that most of these are still in use today.

Last edited:

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Sorry Bob ,
I did not know you had already addressed this question .

I am still trying to learn how to "find my way" around here . With all the little models and puzzles and such of Snow Tracs ,I was sure there must have been a lot of them made .
As much good information as you have posted on here :a1: , I have developed a theory about you .Nobody is that good . You say your a "business man" in Indiana ??? With the amount of time it takes to post all this intelligent stuff that you have on here , I actually believe you must be sitting in some 8x8 prison cell somewhere with a lot of time on your hands . San Quentin maybe ????
To prove me wrong please send one of everything you sale to my address, free of charge . Only then can I be sure you are who you say you are .
But if I am right about you ,can I make a suggestion ????
"Soap on a Rope" :poster_oo

Big Al

:coolshade

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
BigAl.
The reason for the vast superior numbers of Snow Tracs sold compared to the few Kristi snowcats sold is simple. People actually like the looks of a Snow Trac. They hate getting stuck in 2" of snow drift in a Kristi and actually know by looking at them which way is forward unlike a Kristi! Yes the Snow Trac was so much more popular than the Kristi. :)

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
BigAl said:
Sorry Bob ,
I did not know you had already addressed this question .

I am still trying to learn how to "find my way" around here .
Allen try using the computer mouse, it makes finding your way around the site easier. :whistle:

Now if you want to see a nice collection of Kristi photos, you may want to visit Livu's website. He is in Switzerland and from his emails to me (I speak bad German and he speaks bad English) he has, or is importing a KT3 for himself. But he has one of the biggest collection of Kristi photos I've seen anywhere.

Of course, you'll need to use your mouse to find the link to his site :tiphat:

He's got a friend in Canada with an amazing Snow Trac. Its made of diamond plate aluminum and has about a dozen "before & after" photos of that posted too.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Bob ,

My computer is so old it has a choke knob and a hand crank . As far as a computer mouse ....yes ,it has one or did anyway . He ran off . I have set a trap to catch a new one . Boy ! those mouse traps hurt when they snap down on your fingers !!! Sorry for typing so slow ,but with only one finger still working right ,it takes some time .
I'll check out Livu's site ,as I have never seen the Kristi up in Canada you were talking about .
Enjoy the day ,
Big Al