• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

If the water well is sitting idle...

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Should I shock it or leave bleach in it or do something?

It appears I have a broken water line between the house and the well so I've been running the city water until I get a chance to fix it.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
bczoom said:
Should I shock it or leave bleach in it or do something?

It appears I have a broken water line between the house and the well so I've been running the city water until I get a chance to fix it.

How long you gonna take to fix it? When your ready to run it again..............

1. dump a gallon a bleach in the well

2. run the water for 2 hours through the farthest tap slowly (consider your well capacity!)

3. don't consume or wash clothes with the water till the smell goes away

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Big Dog said:
3. don't consume or wash clothes with the water till the smell goes away

You can wash all your tighty-whities if you want to. :yum:

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
DaveNay said:
You can wash all your tighty-whities if you want to. :yum:

Sorry ....... Dave's right, just like these .................

Attachments

• 218-skidmark.jpg
    218-skidmark.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 60

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Big Dog said:
How long you gonna take to fix it? When your ready to run it again..............
Who knows...

It's been shut down for a couple months now and I was wondering if that's not good to just let it sit.

I was thinking of just pouring bleach in the well and letting it sit there so things don't grow from just sitting there stagnant.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
bczoom said:
I was thinking of just pouring bleach in the well and letting it sit there so things don't grow from just sitting there stagnant.

That won't hurt ................. !

It's probably gonna be harder to clear the sediment. Use bleach!

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Big Dog said:
It's probably gonna be harder to clear the sediment. Use bleach!
When I do turn it back on, I have a spigot in the basement right off the well line. I was going to run a bunch of water through that before I send through the house.

cj7

interesting topic.

I have a well here too.

What maintenance do you guys perform on yours?

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
bczoom said:
When I do turn it back on, I have a spigot in the basement right off the well line. I was going to run a bunch of water through that before I send through the house.

Believe me, my last incident took days..............

you'll run enough water to start worrying about drying the well! and I have a great well.

I did just that and after I still went through 8 sediment filters before we went a week without changing.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
cj7 said:
interesting topic.

I have a well here too.

Maintenance? I just save my money for when it fails and I have to pay some expert to save my butt!:pat:

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
My well is 300+ feet deep. The well testing people told me to put 2 - 3 pounds of swimming pool chlorine powder into the well after it was drilled. I did that, and a year later when I started drawing water from the well, when the house was finished, there was no residual chlorine and the well was totally disinfected. The chlorine also "burned" out all the iron bacteria that wells in New England suffer from. This is a harmless bacteria that feeds on the iron content of the water. 25 years later, we now have the iron bacteria starting to reoccur, but treating the well with chlorine like that isn't a possibility, unless we were to be gone for a few months. Most bleach in the gallon jugs is just not adequate to do much in the well. Calculate the amount of water in the well and then compare this to a gallon of 10% bleach.

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
cj7 said:
interesting topic.
I have a well here too.

Today I performed my fall well maintenance check on the house well.

1. Checked pressure tank for proper air setting. Adjusted to about 2 to 3 pounds less than pressure switch on setting. Now have about 35 lbs of air pressure in pressure tank.

2. Reset the pressure switch to a setting of off at 60lbs and on at 37.5lbs for the well pump.

3. Checked motor starter control box and pressure switch for any abnormal wear on electrical components. Checked disconnect for normal wear and operation.

4. Shut off the water supply to home and cycle tested the well several times to confirm proper settings. Checked for leaks near and around the pressure tank and controls. Watch and make sure your pressure remains constant at the pressure gauge when the water is shut off to the home. This will let you know if you have any leakage between the well and tank under the ground.

5. One possible problem I have noticed is that after re-installing the pressure switch cover you need to check the on and off settings to confirm they have not changed by tightening the pressure switch cover. Mine raises several pounds if you tighten the cover down on the square D switch to much.

6. I also try to run the well hard (high flow rae) by pumping as much water as possible several times a year to confirm normal operation of all the well equipment.

7. Water testing is a good idea if you have not tested the quality in the last few years. I should but don't worry about mine. I have never had any type of contaminating sources near my remote home in the mountains.

8. I would only shock or bleach the well if it tested out as being a problem. By pumping the well hard (high flow rate) for several hours after an extended shutdown it should clean up. You can always do a water sample test to confirm it is okay for human consumption if in doubt.

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
Please give detailed instructions on how to reset the pressure switch with such accuracy... thanks Junk......