• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Making carmels

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I like to do this when I have help around. My 12 year old daughter and her "boy friend" are stirring the pot that contains 2 cups sugar, 1 cup half and half, and 1 and 3/4 cups Karo syrup, one stick 1/4 lb butter, and a pinch of salt. At half throttle...Bring to a boil...this is where the helps comes in. It takes about 20 minutes to come to a boil. Then stir for another 30 minutes at a gentle boil. Then slowly stir in one cup evaporated milk. lower the heat to less than half throttle. Bring back to a boil for about 1/2 of an hour.... Get out your candy thermometer and raise the temp back up to 246-248 for a good minute or two. Add nuts now if you want them...Pour the whole mess into previously greased pans of the size you want to give the thickness of the pieces you desire. Let stand 24 hours and cut in squares and wrap in pieces of wax paper. Good eatin for sure!

By the way this is the Brownell's family recipy from the back pages of the first "Gunsmith kinks"

Regards, Kirk

Last edited:

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
OK,,

It is also stategic as well. With Tuesday being valentines day, and my wife is out in Omaha playing with a girl friend, so I make carmels. She LOVES them..And when she gets back I might just get "properly" layed if you know what I mean......:flowers::whistling:

Kirk out...

Last edited: