• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Drank beer with a bunch of Mexican guys today...

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
So I had an odd experience. Odd because I'm just an old(er) white guy who grew up with other whites.

But one of my best friends is an American of Mexican heritage. He introduced me to another Mexican who works odd jobs for me. I've come to know that guy and some of his family pretty well and now consider him a friend.

So my truck got hit by an uninsured motorist ... my newer Mexican friend introduced me to the owner of a body shop. The shop owner is also Mexican. I drop the truck off yesterday, go to pick it up today at closing time. Body shop is located in a run down part of an aging middle class city nearby. Sign on the locked front door says: "Go around back" so I go to the back. In the back are 5 Mexicans I've never met, plus a teenage kid, I explain I'm Ricardo's friend ...

Next thing I know they offer me a beer and a chair and we are all sitting around the BBQ grill they set up outside the back of the body shop, they are making tacos on the grill and we are talking about the farmer neighbor of mine who raises goats for meat, talked about raising chickens, shooting coyotes, hunting turkey and deer, etc.

Great experience. Something I'd never thought I'd ever be part of. I was welcomed as family by strangers. Funny part was my friend showed up later, didn't even realize I was sitting in the circle of guys drinking beer.

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
It's too bad all the ethnic groups including whites can't do what you and your new friends did today. I think all racism would disappear.
Mike

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
It's too bad all the ethnic groups including whites can't do what you and your new friends did today. I think all racism would disappear.
Mike

Agreed :clap:

I honestly think that travel also helps. It opens minds to new experiences and to different cultures. In any case this afternoon was a great experience. Too short. I wish I could have stayed longer but I had to teach a fencing class tonight and had to leave.

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
So I had an odd experience. Odd because I'm just an old(er) white guy who grew up with other whites.

But one of my best friends is an American of Mexican heritage. He introduced me to another Mexican who works odd jobs for me. I've come to know that guy and some of his family pretty well and now consider him a friend.

So my truck got hit by an uninsured motorist ... my newer Mexican friend introduced me to the owner of a body shop. The shop owner is also Mexican. I drop the truck off yesterday, go to pick it up today at closing time. Body shop is located in a run down part of an aging middle class city nearby. Sign on the locked front door says: "Go around back" so I go to the back. In the back are 5 Mexicans I've never met, plus a teenage kid, I explain I'm Ricardo's friend ...

Next thing I know they offer me a beer and a chair and we are all sitting around the BBQ grill they set up outside the back of the body shop, they are making tacos on the grill and we are talking about the farmer neighbor of mine who raises goats for meat, talked about raising chickens, shooting coyotes, hunting turkey and deer, etc.

Great experience. Something I'd never thought I'd ever be part of. I was welcomed as family by strangers. Funny part was my friend showed up later, didn't even realize I was sitting in the circle of guys drinking beer.

Wouldn't be odd in Arizona.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Bob, I'm glad that you experienced the relationship that I've had with our Mexican, no Hispanic American, neighbors for many years. They both work 6 days a week, every week. I've never seen two people put in more hours, some of them unpaid, just to help out and because it's the right thing to do.

They became naturalized citizens a few years back and I attended their swearing in and the party afterwards. They bought 10 acres just down the road and built a small, very livable house. I loaned a tractor to help with the heavy lifting. I also attended the house warming party they threw when it was finished. They have 2 boys, both attending college.

Now, Cruz's English is still very bad but he understands much better than he speaks. His wife Maria's English is very good and getting better all the time. The boys are fluent in English and their parents lament that it is better than their Spanish.

They both have hearts of gold. They'll help anyone in need. If any of my other neighbors are having a problem on their acreage, they're right there to help.

Maria helps my wife, Cruz helps me. I couldn't hope for two better neighbors …. and friends.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Good experiences for both of you. Kudos.

Very, very few Mexicans up here. Rarely see any. Must the the -35F in the winter they are allergic too. Temp like that tend to keep most immigrants away, except for the occasional Quebecer frenchies, but they just come to raid the outlet stores and then high tail it back across the border :yum:

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
The Mexicans that I know are very friendly and very hard working.
Good people.

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter
Good experiences for both of you. Kudos.

Very, very few Mexicans up here. Rarely see any. Must the the -35F in the winter they are allergic too. Temp like that tend to keep most immigrants away, except for the occasional Quebecer frenchies, but they just come to raid the outlet stores and then high tail it back across the border :yum:

The Mexicans that I know are very friendly and very hard working.
Good people.

There is a large Hispanic community here in Topeka, dating back to the cowboy days. Good people and great food; Fiesta Mexicana is the big yearly fund-raiser for Our Lady of Guadalupe Church - homemade tamales, enchiladas and all the fixins. I manage to put on a couple of pounds every year during Fiesta!