• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Judge Judy slams e-bay scammer

REDDOGTWO

Unemployed Veg. Peddler
SUPER Site Supporter
It is really to bad that Ebay does not have her handle all of the disputes, the scamming on there would come to a real quick end.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
OH, OH, I LOVE IT!!!!!!

Way back in 1997 when I started on eBay, it seemed that everyone there was honest. The purchasers sent money orders to the sellers. There were no credit card payments nor any PayPal. I never had a problem. It was only after a few years that I ran across theives there. Now, the theives try to hold honest people hostage by threatening to leave negative feedback if you complain. It should be no surprise to anyone here; you f*** me, I'm not going to just ask for a kiss to go along with it. Now, when selling, I've had buyers try to extort additional items or a lower price due to their threat of leaving negative feedback if I don't comply. Well, f them!! I think in the 10 years I've been on eBay I've had one of the above happen to me. I left appropriate feedback when someone has screwed me. The sad part is that eBay doesn't give a shit and you, as an eBay user, have to live with the "battle scars" from crooks. I think that if you don't leave appropriate negative feedback when you are f****, you are doing a disservice to everyone else on eBay.

The sad fact is that eBay doesn't give a rat's ass. They get their money and they make it clear that they aren't responsible. Someday, there will be an absolutely huge class action law suit brought against eBay that will bring them to their knees because they knowingly provide a conduit for criminals to ply their trade with no fear of prosecution or retaliation. It's too bad that Judge Judy didn't also fine eBay for not giving a shit that their service was being used for obvious criminal activities. It almost seems as if eBay is a willing party to these scams since they do NOTHING to try to prosecute these people!

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
It just gets worse. Some scammer is selling a hack program so you can add your own off-site BIN into somebody else's auctions! I described it in the ebay hack thread.

Here is one showing the hack.

Gatorboy

Dargo said:
Someday, there will be an absolutely huge class action law suit brought against eBay that will bring them to their knees because they knowingly provide a conduit for criminals to ply their trade with no fear of prosecution or retaliation.

What does your local newspaper do about deals through their classified ads that go bad?

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Gatorboy said:
What does your local newspaper do about deals through their classified ads that go bad?

After a couple of complaints that are validated by the state's AG office they refuse to allow ads by them. They can't catch them all, but they do take a bit of a proactive stance against obvious attempts to use their paper to commit fraud. Depending on the ad, they may get the FTC or local police involved if need be. They are not enablers like eBay.

Nice try, but you completely whiffed on trying to justify eBay's total lack of concern that their service is, without a doubt, acting as an enabler for criminals. Would you like to play again? :tiphat:

Gatorboy

Dargo said:
Nice try, but you completely whiffed on trying to justify eBay's total lack of concern that their service is, without a doubt, acting as an enabler for criminals. Would you like to play again? :tiphat:

What percentage of eBay auctions involve a scam attempt? I would bet it is extremely low.

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
Gatorboy said:
What percentage of eBay auctions involve a scam attempt? I would bet it is extremely low.
GB, times are changing. The hack tools I spoke about make it possible to post massive numbers of scams, similar to spam email. Most all are concentrated just under $4,000 BIN which I think is the limit for a Western Union Money Order.

When Bob was posting about that recurring Tucker, the seller had numerous auctions going. I don't recall if it was that seller or another but I myself saw something like 350 auctions including dozens of simultaneous duplicates on the same snowmobile or jetski. I've read there were times when bogus Kubotas outnumbered real auctions by some large multiple, maybe 20:1.

I recently saw a bunch of auctions from unrelated sellers, all different parts of the country that all included the following gif file. It was hosted offsite so no ebay search could hit on it. Ebay has a big problem at the moment.

EbayScam.GIF

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Gatorboy said:

If you are looking at an ATV, motorcycle or a tractor, it's likely well over 10%. Other items may be lower. Overall, I'd venture to guess that it is now over 5% overall. I'd have to say that in my local paper it would be in the thousands of a single percentage. Crime and scams on eBay are rampant and totally out of control. Have you not seen articles where federal agencies are getting fed up with eBay crimes clogging up the legal system? If a huge class action suit, like one with tens of thousands of plaintiffs, doesn't take them down, look for a government agency to put a serious dent in their reputation and pocketbook for their complete and total disregard in performing their due diligence in preventing crime.

Ebay is reaching the crossroads where they can no longer simply ignore the fact that they are acting as a partner in crime due to their neglect and refusal to protect their "members". That case on "Judge Judy" is by no means a rare situation. Crime on eBay is totally out of control.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
If our "Courts" mediated justice like she did then we would have a 90% reduction in crime within one year! What a great Judge.