• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Why does wood heat make you feel warmer ??

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
We have a thermometer on the wall . When the gas heat is on , its at 75 and its cold . When the wood stove is on it at 72 and a hell of a lot warmer in this house .
Whats the deal ??? There is no comparison . We still have the ceiling fan on no matter which system we use .

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
Wood stoves give off radiant heat. Warm air is just warm air with no mass to be radiant.

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
Do you have a InfaRed thermometer to compare the surface temperatures ?

I bet the BTU output of the wood stove is higher and it has more mass compared to whatever the gas thing is using to disperse heat.

Just guessing here from my own experience.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Just a wall thermometer .

I think wood heat is still the best . I can buy A cord of Lodge pole for $75 and its split too.:wow: Pretty dang hard to get gas at anywhere near that price here ,:sad:

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
If your woodstove is an 'average' size, say 30" wide by 35" high by 20" deep, it is probably rated at around 100,000 BTU/H.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Its one of those Whizbang Thumblicker specials with all the upgrades !!!
It warms the whole house and can run you out if you overload it .