• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Wide track imp verses a narrow track imp

hunter1951

I have the opportunity two purchase one of two cats one is a narrow track and the other is a wide track how much difference is it going to make in 2to 3 feet of snow breaking trail with a maybe 30 degree incline or less, any opinions would be great, the wide track is a 1450 with lots of hours the narrow track has less then two hundred hours at lest that is what is on the Hobbs meter. Oh then arrow track is a 1404

Thanks in advance

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I have the opportunity two purchase one of two cats one is a narrow track and the other is a wide track how much difference is it going to make in 2to 3 feet of snow breaking trail with a maybe 30 degree incline or less, any opinions would be great, the wide track is a 1450 with lots of hours the narrow track has less then two hundred hours at lest that is what is on the Hobbs meter. Oh then arrow track is a 1404

Thanks in advance

Is there a big price difference ? The 1450 is a better machine in many ways
Engine, differential, automatic. But the 1404 even with all it's gears will get your there just not as fast 2-3 feet of snow for those cats is not much

hunter1951

The 1450 has over 2500 hours, it came from a utility company so it most likely was serviced on a regular bases the 1404 looks to be almost new from the pictures the price difference will be a couple thousand after shipping the 1404 is here in Alaska the 1450 is out of state.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter

Thanks in advance
Dwight just remember if this machine may be called into duty as a hunting rig too you will want the narrow track for getting around up there at Glenallen the trail ruts and rocks up there will break the wider track grousers . if you will only use it for scooting across the lakes in the winter my vote would be the super imp. it has a more common engine you can get parts for at the local napa store.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
If both is an option.... then you have the best of both worlds.

I like the wide track 1404 imp for getting around in the woods in snow. I pull a drag on trails plenty of power if you realize your limits. it is full bodied and the limited visibility while making ski trails or grooming snow machine trails is off set by conditioned space for passengers, nieces and nephews and fishing buddies love it.

I would enjoy d-dent narrow tracks for low snow and dirt usage. I don't have them but really think that would be a good comprimise to extend the seasons and usage. d-dent tracks don't really tear up the soil like wide tracks.

If you are only selecting one my vote is D dent tracks.....

$.02 worth.

Mike

Woody_1

http://http://http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/showthread.php?t=46937 If I had it all over to do again, I'd go for a 1450. They don't call it a Super Imp for nothing. I do love my 1404 WT. Its just under powered and I believe its to short. The 1450 has one extra boggie and spring and quite possibley rides better. In the steep and deep the 1404 rides and:winterrul:pee_smilie: climbs fine. On packed trails unless groomed they suck. I don't use SNOWCAT in the swamp.

Last edited: