• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Veteran's Day 11-11-11

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
A Great Day and........

A TOAST To Fellow Veterans For Veterans' Day!

"We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother..."

"Henry V"---Williams Shakespeare

Enceladus

Site Supporter
Thanks for the reminder, need to call my Dad and Son tomorrow, Dad spent some time fighting in Italy and a Son who spent two tours in Afghanistan.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I'll be down at the legion tomorrow morning for the laying of the wreaths and a moment of silence. Grampa fought in WW2. Never talked about it but would have nightmares occasionally.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
2011 Veterans Day Discounts and Freebies

The Warrior Gateway team is excited to help spread the word about discounts on goods, services and dining for our nation’s veterans and service members this upcoming Veterans Day! Listed below are various restaurants and retailers that will honor our veterans on November 11th.

Most businesses require some proof of military service, this includes a VA Universal Access Card, Military I.D., DD-214 (Discharge Papers) or in some cases a picture of the veteran in uniform.

Check out the deals below. Share with others. Spread the word!
Note: always call (or visit web site) before going to be sure of the date the discount is being offered, or if the particular location is even participating.

Restaurants
Abuelo’s Mexican Food – Abuelo’s offerings vary by region, be sure to call ahead to see what the discounts or freebies are included.

Applebees - All veterans and active duty military eat free from a limited menu at Applebee’s on Veterans Day.
Chili’s — Veterans and active duty dine for free from a special limited six item menu on Veterans Day.
Golden Corral — Golden Corral Restaurants’ Military Appreciation Monday free dinner will be available on November 15, from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. Military retirees, veterans, active duty, National Guard and Reserves are all welcome.

Hooters — All Veterans and active duty eat free. The free entrees must beselected from a special Veterans Day menu.
Krispy Kreme – All active-duty, retirees & veterans get a free doughnut on Veterans Day. Be sure to call ahead to verify your local Krispy Kreme is participating.

McCormick & Schmick’s Seafood Restaurants — Participating McCormick & Schmick’s Seafood Restaurants offer a complimentary entree to vets from a special menu on a space available basis, online reservations are highly recommended.

Outback Steakhouse — Veterans and active-duty military get a complimentary Bloomin’ Onion and non-alcoholic beverage on Veterans Day.

UNO Chicago Grill — UNO is offering a Buy One Get One free offer to Service members or Veterans with a military or veteran I.D. or in uniform or with a photo of themselves in uniform. The Veterans Day BOGO offer includes a free entree or individual pizza, with the purchase of an entree or pizza of equal or greater value.

Texas Roadhouse – Free meal from opening until 4pm. on Veterans Day. Call ahead to your local restaurant for more information.

T.G.I. Friday’s – Veterans and Service members Buy one get one free from Nov 11–14. Contact your nearest location for more details on their Veterans Day BOGO offer.

Retail
The Dollar General — Veterans, Service members (Active, Guard, and Reserve), and their immediate families will receive a 10-percent discount with a Veterans Day coupon. The coupon may be found in store circular ads or by asking a sales associate.

Home Depot — Offers a 10 percent discount to all Veterans during Veterans Day, Memorial Day and Independence Day.
Lowe’s — All veterans receive the 10-percent discount on Veteran’s Day, Memorial Day and the Fourth of July. The offer is available in stores only and is limited to in-stock and special-order purchases of up to $5,000.

Sam’s Club — Sam’s give away 36,000 collapsible Hugo Canes on Veterans Day to military veterans in need of mobility assistance. Sam’s Club will require membership for this offer, but proof of service may be necessary.

Amazon.com – Free Veterans Day Honor MP3 album download. The album includes 12 songs by The Bands and Ensembles of the U.S. Armed Forces.

Cabela’s Outdoor Store – Offers their employee discount to all veterans, active-duty military and reserves, law enforcement, fire and EMS personnel November 11-12. Discounts vary from 5% to 50%, depending on the item.

Build-a-Bear Workshop – Members of the armed services including the Army, Navy, Marine Corps, Air Force, Coast Guard, and Reserve OfficerTraining Corps, will receive a 20% discount November 11-15 on any one transaction at Build-A-Bear Workshop.

Fashion Bug – 20% off all plus-size and misses clothing purchases with a copy of military ID or spouse’s military ID.
Sports Clips Haircuts – The men’s hair salon chain is offering a free haircut to active military and veterans on Veterans Day.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
My dad and my new dad both served in WWII. While mine has passed, My new dad, (Father-in-law) lives just accross the street.

At 87 he is amazingly spry and mentaly alert. Along with my worthless brother from Iowa, he is my best pal.

Full moon tonite so he might be up on the roof howling. Enceladus, he is your blood but I'll talk him down when you call.

We will do the usual with him tomorrow. Morning coffee and evening coffee. Lunch if he vists the plant.

The stories this man can tell about the war.

Child of the great Depression, he went when duty called (lied about his age I belive) and put it all on the line for his countrymen. Took a shrapnel hit in the face, lost his front teeth. Bless him and all his Brothers in arms. For we and our children sleep safe at night while their comrades stand on the wall. Still.

Until just recently his nephew, son of Enseladus, stood there for us all. Two tours served in country, in theater. Thanks brother, for raising a good kid.

Thanks to your son, for keeping our kids safe.

franc

Kane

Every Memorial Day and Veterans Day, for generations, the children in a small town in Iowa gather at the cemetery to place poppies on the graves of fallen vet's ... stand solemnly, startle at the 21-gun salute and then scramble to be the first to pick up a 30.06 husk.

poppy+FLANDERS+POPPY.gif

Sixty years ago one of them small children was me. Thirty-five years ago they were my sons. And next year?

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
A Great Day and........

A TOAST To Fellow Veterans For Veterans' Day!

"We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother..."

"Henry V"---Williams Shakespeare
Cheers :beer:
Salute to all veterans out there. :tiphat:

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Also please keep the memory of Brian Terry and his family in your hearts today. I do not know if technically he was a veteran, but as far as I am concerned he died in the line of duty. His family could sure use all our prayers & thoughts.

Enceladus

Site Supporter
I thank 2 of them personally today, but when I see one on the street I thank them as well. I avoided Vietnam, but my son carries on my Father's Legacy of defending our country.

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
I would like to thank all the veterans and I would like to to remember my late father.
My father was in the Army Airforce in WW2. He was in the 20th Airforce 468 bombardment group. He was part of Operation Matterhorn: http://www.468thbombgroup.org/ChinaandOperationMatterhorn/tabid/101/Default.aspx This was to bomb Japanese forces from forward bases in China. This pic. is the real deal not stock footage I found an old photo negative that was my dad's. I scanned it and reversed it into a positive.

B29rtsmlbm.bmp

I would like to also like to thank my great great etc. grandfather Captain Ebenezer who fought in the American revolutionary war.