• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Seized track adjuster pins on sno trac

Stuart

Had to use a hack saw to get the adjusters off the frame (just enough room to get the blade in between the bracket on the frame and the adjuster assembly) . Then it was 13 tons pressure on the press and lots of heat to get the pins out. In case anyone else has to replace these pins they are 20 mm in daimeter and not 3/4 of an inch as I thought at first glance. Grease nipples were then installed to prevent the problem from reoccuring. Once I get more familiar with the forum usage I will add pictures as I slowly rebuild the machine.

Brian
1977 ST4
1972 SW 48 Bombardier
1988 BR 100 Bombardier

couchloafer

SUPER Site Supporter
I havent found one yet that those pins will come out of.......glad it isnt just me having that fun! Please post us some pictures Brian!

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
wich ones are you talking about front pins where the axle pivots or the rear as a mote when i broke an axle the pins came out just fine on my st but i had to cut out the pins on the parts rigwhen i re installed them i gooped them good with silicone sealer to prevent rust and seal out water

Stuart

wich ones are you talking about front pins where the axle pivots or the rear as a mote when i broke an axle the pins came out just fine on my st but i had to cut out the pins on the parts rigwhen i re installed them i gooped them good with silicone sealer to prevent rust and seal out water
I am referring to the pins at the rear of the machine , so far everything else associated with the track seems to be coming apart fairly easy.

Brian

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
i'm guessing yours must have sat a while mine sat 5 years on a salt water beach and all that stuff was free i had holes in the sheat metal but the axle pivots in the front as was the stuff in the rear.

I am referring to the pins at the rear of the machine , so far everything else associated with the track seems to be coming apart fairly easy.

Brian

Mine were the same, I torched the bracket off, removed the assembly, pushed the pins out on a press, welded the bracket back and fitted new pins. I thought of adding a grease nipple but as they rarely move I belive they could still seize up so when I replaced them I used a lot of "anti seize". Yes 20 mm not 3/4 inch, I was lucky to find a correct shaft.

Stuart

Mine were the same, I torched the bracket off, removed the assembly, pushed the pins out on a press, welded the bracket back and fitted new pins. I thought of adding a grease nipple but as they rarely move I belive they could still seize up so when I replaced them I used a lot of "anti seize". Yes 20 mm not 3/4 inch, I was lucky to find a correct shaft.
I didnt have to cut the brackets off as there was enough movement so I was able to get a hacksaw blade in between the adjuster assembly and the bracket and saw the pins off