• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Apple Computers to run "Windows"

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Not that I would pollute my computer with the Windows software, but Apple announced today that it has new software that will allow Windows to be installed on the new Apple hardware platform that is powered by Intel chips.

For companies like mine that are 99% Windows, this could allow for additonal Apple computers into the business enviornment. We have 2 or 3 programs here that require Windows and while I do not need to access those specific applications, others here have asked for Macintosh computers but have been stifled by the need to use some Windows specific applications.

Here is a link to a C|Net article

Here is a link to Apple's Boot Camp Software Download Page

Here is the Yahoo!/AP story:

ap_small.gif

Apple Unveils Software to Run Windows XP

By MAY WONG, AP Technology Writer 59 minutes ago

Shares in Apple Computer Inc. surged Wednesday after the computer maker unveiled software to help owners of its new Intel-based Macs run not only its own operating system but also Microsoft Corp.'s rival Windows XP system.

Wall Street is betting the move will help Apple grow its current worldwide market share beyond the current range of 3 percent to 4 percent by attracting more business and home users.
"It makes the Mac the most versatile computer on the market," said Tim Bajarin, a tech industry consultant at Creative Strategies.

Apple's new "Boot Camp" software, a "beta" test version available as a free download, lets computer users with a Windows XP installation disk load that system on the Mac. Users could then switch between the two operating systems — using only one at a time — by rebooting, a process that could take a few minutes.

Apple shares rose more than 8 percent in early afternoon trading.

Bajarin said the move should lure Windows users who "had their eye on a Mac but knew they could not run their favorite Windows programs on an Apple-based computer."
When Apple introduced its first computer based on Intel Corp. chips in January, the company said it had no intention of selling or supporting Windows on its machines, though it has not done anything to preclude people from doing it themselves.
Apple said Wednesday that stance remains true, yet the new software will ease Windows installation "by providing a simple graphical step-by-step assistant application."

"Apple has no desire or plan to sell or support Windows, but many customers have expressed their interest to run Windows on Apple's superior hardware now that we use Intel processors," Philip Schiller, senior vice president of worldwide product marketing, said in a statement.

Indeed, for months, hackers have been diligently working on programs to let users of Intel-based Macs switch between the two competing operating systems.

Apple turned to Intel chips, the same ones used to power most PCs using Windows, after saying its previous suppliers, IBM Corp. and Motorola Corp.'s spinoff Freescale Semiconductor Inc., couldn't meet Apple's needs for faster, more energy-efficient chips.

But the Intel-based Macs continued to run Apple's own proprietary operating system.

Because Windows is much more dominant, Mac users don't have access to many software programs written only for Windows. The switch to Intel chips lets users load Windows onto a Mac computer, without the need for emulation software that slows performance. But until Wednesday, the user needed some technical expertise to pull it off.

American Technology Research analyst Shaw Wu described the announcement as a "significant game changer."

The Boot Camp software makes it easier to install Windows and lets users run either Mac OS X or Windows when they restart their computer.

A final version of Boot Camp will be available as a feature in the upcoming Mac OS X version 10.5, code-named "Leopard." Apple said it will preview Leopard in August, but it hasn't yet disclosed a release date or price for the upgrade.
Apple shares gained $4.95, or 8.1 percent, to $66.12 in afternoon trading on the Nasdaq Stock Market, while Microsoft shares rose 9 cents to $27.73 and shares of Intel rose 12 cents to $19.42.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
From: http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/pulpit20060112.html

"But Apple WILL make some inroads against Microsoft. The new Intel Macs will run Windows XP unofficially, and Apple Support acknowledges that they are only days from running XP officially, too. So Apple finally has a solid argument why Windows-centric companies and homes should consider trying a Mac. The best case, though, says that Apple sells an additional million units, which aren't enough for Steve Jobs, so I see him going into a kind of stealth competition with Microsoft.
Here's how I believe it will work. Apple won't offer versions of OS X for generic Intel hardware because the drivers and the support obligation would be too huge. But just as you can buy a shrink-wrapped copy of 10.4 for your iMac, they'll gladly sell you a shrink-wrapped Intel version intended for an Intel Mac, but of course YOU CAN PUT IT ON ANY MACHINE YOU LIKE. The key here is to offer no guarantees and only limited support, patterned on the kind you get for most Open Source packages -- a web site, forums, download section. and a wiki. Apple will help users help themselves. With two to three engineers and some outreach to hackers and hardware makers, Apple could put together an unofficial program that could easily attract two to three million Windows users per year to migrate their old machines to the new OS. Imagine the profit margins of three engineers effectively generating $300-plus million per year in sales."

RoadKing

Silver Member
Site Supporter
I've been an Apple user since the days of the AppleII. I'm presently on my third Mac, I also run a pentium 4 Gateway and a Sony Vaio laptop that I use solely for internet. All I know is all my serious work is done on my Mac. Just my opinion.:tiphat:

Attachments

• PC asswipe.gif
    PC asswipe.gif
    4.3 KB · Views: 98