• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

The U.S. Flag and the Olympics

BoneheadNW

The discussion on another thread about the U.S. flag reminded me of something I have been meaning to ask here. Do you think that draping one's sweaty body in the flag is disrespectful? Athletes from other countries did it also, but I don't remember seeing so many do it as in this past olympics. What do you think?
Bonehead

Cityboy

Banned
Nope. Another one of those non-issues like the aforementioned thread.

We here at FF sometimes have on hell of a time discussing real issues, but we sure can pile on a bullshit thread. :horsepoop:

Well, time for my dumbass to go to bed. See the rest of you bullshit pontificators tomorrow.

American Woman

Site Supporter
Well I guess I'm shallow :yum: I thought it was good question :shock:
I hadn't thought about it in any other way but prideful when it's done like that, so personally I don't think so. There are too many down right, no question about it,
things done to the flag by it's own country until if we gotta ask then maybe not.

BoneheadNW

I agree with AW and personally do not find it disrespectful. The reason that I asked is that one of the guys I work with is ex-military and he had a problem with it. I respect his opinion and also respect yours.
Bone

American Woman

Site Supporter
I think it's kind of a on the fence question.... There are so many rules for how the flag should be handled and respected. But I feel like a lot of the rules tend to be just that...a rule. Love and pride for their country is another thing.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
The discussion on another thread about the U.S. flag reminded me of something I have been meaning to ask here. Do you think that draping one's sweaty body in the flag is disrespectful? Athletes from other countries did it also, but I don't remember seeing so many do it as in this past olympics. What do you think?
Bonehead
No. I don't think it is.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Nope. Another one of those non-issues like the aforementioned thread.

We here at FF sometimes have on hell of a time discussing real issues, but we sure can pile on a bullshit thread. :horsepoop:

Well, time for my dumbass to go to bed. See the rest of you bullshit pontificators tomorrow.
Welllllllllll.. pffffffffffft to you too!
LOL! ;)

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I agree with AW and personally do not find it disrespectful. The reason that I asked is that one of the guys I work with is ex-military and he had a problem with it. I respect his opinion and also respect yours.
Bone
BTW Bone.. I love your Ernestine siggy.
:)

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Bone,

I don't have a problem with it. In fact I think it is great as it shows your love for the United States. Especially when you have an Asian or Black doing it.

It is when they try burning it or stopping on it that pisses me off.

Murph

dzalphakilo

Banned
It is when they try burning it or stopping on it that pisses me off.

Murph

No more worse than people flying the Flag on their suberbia homestead at night without a light shining on it, or in the rain, or when She's tattered and torn and/or caught on something.

The U.S Flag should not be worn as apparel (sp?).

American Woman

Site Supporter
The U.S Flag should not be worn as apparel (sp?).
What about a flag t-shirt, or a dress shirt in the Flag pattern, hats belts...?
Around the fourth of July there is all kinds of Flag apparel. It's done in pride.
I agree with Steve too....it's more emotional when an athlete that looks like they should be from another country are proud to be American. It's what America is all about. The land of opportunity, freedom...a melting pot.

dzalphakilo

Banned
What about a flag t-shirt, or a dress shirt in the Flag pattern, hats belts...?
Around the fourth of July there is all kinds of Flag apparel. It's done in pride.
I agree with Steve too....it's more emotional when an athlete that looks like they should be from another country are proud to be American. It's what America is all about. The land of opportunity, freedom...a melting pot.

Section 8D

"d) The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery. It should never be festooned, drawn back, nor up, in folds, but always allowed to fall free. Bunting of blue, white, and red, always arranged with the blue above, the white in the middle, and the red below, should be used for covering a speaker's desk, draping the front of the platform, and for decoration in general."

Section 8J

"(j) No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations. The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing. Therefore, the lapel flag pin being a replica, should be worn on the left lapel near the heart."

Keep in mind, from above, a veteran would be allowed to be draped (sp?) in a flag at the time of his or her burial service per their speciffic request to do so.

The fact is there are no laws being broken if you don't follow the general conduct rules pertaining to the U.S Flag, and you can't be arrested for anything in the U.S if you don't follow any of the "rules of conduct".

Hell, I've lost track at the amount of times I use to see grounds keepers at schools (middle/high) let the Flag hit the ground when they were taking the flag down.

People also seem surprised or ignorant to the fact that ONLY the president or the governor of the state in question can order that the U.S flag be lowered at half staff.

Generally speaking, people don't really care about the flag unless if someone is going to burn the Flag, then they get their ass all up in a wad over it and want to show people how patriotic they are because they think it's wrong.

Per my first comment on this subject, in the old development my wife and I used to live, I ended up climbing up a tree in front of a guys house in the middle of the night to cut his Flag down because it was ripped and part of it (the Flag) was stuck in the tree. This bozo left the Flag like this for OVER A MONTH until I got sick of seeing it driving by it all the time. I did it at night because I really didn't want to have to deal with him in person over it.

This man who let his Flag like this in front of his house is no better than someone burning the Flag to make a point in my book.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Just found these.
All tacky ways of using the flag.. just my opinion..

Attachments

• hydrant.jpg
    hydrant.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 52
  • paypalcreditcard.jpg
    paypalcreditcard.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 55
  • toilet.gif
    toilet.gif
    7.1 KB · Views: 52

dzalphakilo

Banned
Just found these.
All tacky ways of using the flag.. just my opinion..

I find people selling products that look like the American Flag to make a buck just as repulsive as people burning the Flag to make a "statement".

Ironic as well that we're on the subject of the America Flag.

Got to be honest with you Pirate Girl, having Jesus Christ on the cross in front of the American Flag is beyond words (in a bad way).

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I find people selling products that look like the American Flag to make a buck just as repulsive as people burning the Flag to make a "statement".

Ironic as well that we're on the subject of the America Flag.

Got to be honest with you Pirate Girl, having Jesus Christ on the cross in front of the American Flag is beyond words (in a bad way).
What? My crucifix and Old Glory bugs ya?
Too bad..;)
Smooch! lol

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Since there's been a bit of drift into flag etiquette and standards, I'll throw one out that doesn't make any sense to me.

When displaying a flag either horizontally or vertically, the flags union (stars) should be to the flag's own right and to the observers left.

Has anyone else noticed that the flags worn on the right arm of soldier's uniforms has the flag backwards? The stars are on the top right, not the top left.

dzalphakilo

Banned
Copied and pasted

flagleft.gif

Left Flag
flagright.gif

Right or "reversed field" flag
petraeus.jpg

General David Petraeus

To wear our country's flag properly, the field of stars is worn closest to your heart. Further, when worn on the sleeve of a military uniform, the flag should appear to be advancing and not retreating. Thus, if your patch is to be worn on your LEFT sleeve, use a left flag (normal). For patches worn on your RIGHT sleeve, use a "right" or "reversed field" flag.

Since the Flag Rules do not specifically address the positioning of the patch, a decision is left to the discretion of the organization prescribing the wear. Some elect to use the "left" flag on both sleeves. [Note: many states and cities have ordinances pertaining to the use of the flag; you may wish to contact the Attorney General of your state or the City Attorney's office regarding this matter.] If you are planning to wear only one patch, it is recommended that you wear a "left" flag on your left sleeve.

Military guidelines specify that in support of joint or multi-national operations (as in Iraq), the "right" flag is worn on the right sleeve (see picture), 1/4" below the shoulder seam or 1/8" below any required unit patches. (Class A uniform excepted.)
Some people find the "right flag" disrespectful of the flag and some are calling it the "wrong flag." They seek to gain support to encourage a change in the regulations to always use a "left flag" even on a right sleeve.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I was already trying to find out but have not found anything as of yet
I haven't either, but it seems some from the Dem convention were salvaged and handed out by veterans.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXIM9uFK12w"]YouTube - DNC leftover flags handed out at McCain Palin Event[/ame]

daedong

What a strange concept some have here. A few days ago we saw a pickup flying the flag in the back and it was being shredded to bits by the wind, now he should face the firing squad?

dzalphakilo

Banned
What a strange concept some have here. A few days ago we saw a pickup flying the flag in the back and it was being shredded to bits by the wind, now he should face the firing squad?

No

However, when the man saw that the Flag was being "shreaded" by the wind because of the position of the Flag on the truck, he should of taken the Flag down.

Fact is, if lack of brains were cause enough to put someone in front of the firing squad, half of our country would be eliminated just like that. Come to think of it, probably would do wonders for our welfare system.

American Woman

Site Supporter
To wear our country's flag properly, the field of stars is worn closest to your heart. Further, when worn on the sleeve of a military uniform, the flag should appear to be advancing and not retreating. Thus, if your patch is to be worn on your LEFT sleeve, use a left flag (normal). For patches worn on your RIGHT sleeve, use a "right" or "reversed field" flag.
I didn't know this, and found it an interesting way to look at it:thumb:
I stand corrected but still think it looks wrong...
I did too, but it will be easier now that I know the story behind it.