• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Rubber insulation

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Easy guys... this is really a home improvement project.

Last year I found some "stuff" that was a clear rubber caulking that is made to temporarily seal cracks. When you're done with it, you just peal it off.

It has the exact same properties as the rubber stuff they use to attach a credit/bank card to a piece of paper. It just peals off.

I wanted to get some to seal some doors I don't use in the winter. I couldn't find it today at Lowe's. Haven't tried HD yet but I may have gotten it there.

Does anyone know what it's called and/or where I can find it?

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
Brian; We call it snot, but I don't think that's the correct name.:eek: :whistle: :rolleyes:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
John,

I had a couple beers so I laughed at that one.
So far, the kids are healthy so I don't know how to accumulate the amount of snot required.

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
Brian; I haven't had any beer yet, and I laughed when I posted it!:eek:

Seriously, I know what you're talking about. Seems it's called Easy-something-Caulk. Kind of an RTV sealant base, that doesn't quite adhere as strongly. I'm thinking, so if I come up with a name I'll let you know. Now, time for a beer.:tiphat: :beer:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
johnday said:
I'm thinking, so if I come up with a name I'll let you know.
Ahhh, yea... like that'll be this week.

Anyone else?

Kiddin' with you John. ;)

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
bczoom said:
Last year I found some "stuff" that was a clear rubber caulking that is made to temporarily seal cracks. When you're done with it, you just peal it off.

OH MY GAWD!!!!! DON'T DO IT!!!!!

SERIOUSLY!!!

We bought this farm in late winter 2003, and the sellers had used this stuff on every single window in the house, and now I still only have about 2/3 of the windows operable again. Some of the windows (and all of the remaining ones) I have had to remove the interior trim molding so that I can remove enough of this gunk to make the windows openable. The instructions also claim that it does not stick to paint, but every one of my windows needs to be repainted after removing this gunk. Even the stained windows look like a layer has been removed.

I highly recomend that you avoid this type of product. Bad bad bad bad mojo.

:puke2::puke2::puke2::puke2::puke2:

:finger2::finger2::finger2::finger2::finger2:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Dave,

We MUST be talking about different stuff.
I just went over to my office door (a primary candidate for the stuff) and grabbed a piece from last year. I pulled and it came right out of the crack (between 2 pieces of stained wood). Actually, I had a hard time breaking off the piece I pulled off as it wanted to adhere itself to the rest of what I applied. I pulled off an 8" piece. I can stretch it to 36" and it still won't break.
It adheres strongly to itself but to nothing else.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
bczoom said:
Dave,

We MUST be talking about different stuff.

I have several tubes still in the workshop that the prior owner left behind, and it is the exact stuff for the exact application you are asking about. Perhaps different brand, but still the same stuff.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Dave

Not sure what you have.

I hadn't seen the stuff I got/used prior to last year.

Do you have a mfgr/name I can use for a google search?

It doesn't sound like the same stuff as I can peal this stuff off at will with absolutely ZERO residue or problems.

Brian

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
Don't know if that's what Dave has, but I just bought 2 tubes of it this morning!:tiphat:

Attachments

• Pic481 (Small).JPG
    Pic481 (Small).JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 58

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
bczoom said:
John,
Is it made by Liquid Nails?
Can I ask where you found it?

Brian; Yep, it's made by Liquid Nails, and I found it at Lowes. It wasn't in the caulk section. It was about 10 aisles away. I had to ask someone, and luckily they knew just what I wanted. The stuff I got is in a squeeze tube.:tiphat: :beer: :beer:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
John,

Do you remember which isle (insulation, paint...).
I was at Lowe's yesterday and nobody was able to help so I'm anticipating the same when I try a different Lowe's today.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
bczoom said:
I think I found what I used last year.

Liquid Nails Windjammer Clear removable weather sealer

Dave - Is this the stuff you have?

The name doesn't sound right. I think the stuff I had was a DAP product.

I checked the workshop, and I can't find any of it. I must have thrown it out last time I did a major cleaning. The wife seems to think the prior owners painted the interior window woodwork after they applied the peelable weather sealer. I don't recal this, but looking at a couple of the windows that still have it, she is probably right. That would certainly explain the difficulty I have removing it.

:whistle:

edit:

I think that this is the stuff I had.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
DaveNay said:
The wife seems to think the prior owners painted the interior window woodwork after they applied the peelable weather sealer.
That'll do it... It's amazing how even a thin coat of paint can seal a window up tight (and make them non-operational).

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
bczoom said:
John,

Do you remember which isle (insulation, paint...).
I was at Lowe's yesterday and nobody was able to help so I'm anticipating the same when I try a different Lowe's today.
Aisle 21 or so. Seems it's down by the insulation. I think the Lowes stores are setup pretty much the same. If you went to Customer Service, they should be able to pull it up on their computer.:coolshade

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
Red Devil brand Zip-a-Way is another brand. Turns out ACE Hardware carries it! :tiphat:

Last edited:

frank_f15

I was just in VALU home center and i saw no such item, might be i have to keep looking? sounds like just what i want.

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
frank_f15 said:
I was just in VALU home center and i saw no such item, might be i have to keep looking? sounds like just what i want.
Hi Frank; There are at least 3 different makers of this stuff. Maybe check out one of the big box stores in your area, if there are any.:tiphat: :beer:

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
johnday said:
Red Devil brand Zip-a-Way is another brand. Turns out ACE Hardware carries it! :tiphat:

I need this stuff at my office. We have a fire door that is very leaking around the seams this would do the trick!

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
I need this stuff at my office. We have a fire door that is very leaking around the seams this would do the trick!
Bob; Not sure if I'd use this on a fire door without consulting the Fire Marshal first. You don't need any problems with him, or worse yet OSHA. Just trying to head off possible trouble for you.:wave: :beer:

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Weatherstipping is legit according to our fire marshall. We had covered the door with with 3M film and didn't like that, but he suggested some sort of non-permanent weather stripping. This goo stuff sounds perfect. It doesn't actually adhere to anything the way that silicone sealer would. The key is the crash bar must still work so no glue type adhesive sealer could be used.

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
Ah! Give it a shot then. May I suggest that once you put this stuff in, and let it cure,say, overnight. That you try the door. The collective stickyness may make the door hard to operate. Just a thought. All it potentially takes, is one employe with an attitude, to get OSHA on your butt.:eek: :tiphat:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
After about a half hour, I found the local Home Depot doesn't carry it.
Stopped at Ace. He carries the Red Devil brand as John noted but was out of it.
Off to Lowe's. Looked everywhere but no luck. 2 sales people - no idea.
Finally found someone that knew what it was and where it was. He took me to the spot... but it wasn't there. He then asked 2 more people. One did know where it was and took me. I bought all they had... don't want to go through the hide-and-seek any more.

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
bczoom said:
After about a half hour, I found the local Home Depot doesn't carry it.
Stopped at Ace. He carries the Red Devil brand as John noted but was out of it.
Off to Lowe's. Looked everywhere but no luck. 2 sales people - no idea.
Finally found someone that knew what it was and where it was. He took me to the spot... but it wasn't there. He then asked 2 more people. One did know where it was and took me. I bought all they had... don't want to go through the hide-and-seek any more.
Ah, like a ray of sunshine on an otherwise dreary day!!:tiphat: :wave: :beer:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Only a small ray of sunshine afterall... :(

Put the stuff up about an hour ago. Although in a sealed tube, the first 1/4 or 1/3 of the tube was relatively dried up. Had a bugger of a time getting it to pass through. I had to squeeze so hard on one tube, the bottom blew out. What a mess.

I was able to seal the 2 doors that were my primary issue but all the other tubes are being returned.

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
bczoom said:
Only a small ray of sunshine afterall... :(

Put the stuff up about an hour ago. Although in a sealed tube, the first 1/4 or 1/3 of the tube was relatively dried up. Had a bugger of a time getting it to pass through. I had to squeeze so hard on one tube, the bottom blew out. What a mess.

I was able to seal the 2 doors that were my primary issue but all the other tubes are being returned.

Haven't tried either tube I bought yet. Wonder why it was dried up? The tubes look to be sealed like those tubes of bath caulk.:confused: :beer:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Maybe there's an air pocket in the tube.
Let me know how yours comes out.