• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

City sues man for canceling trash service!

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
Whaaaaaaa???????? :smileywac Yup! here it is!

trash_can.jpg
A while back we ran a post on a guy in the U.S. who was investigated by his utility company for dramatically reducing his power bill (by changing bulbs and applying several other conservation techniques). The power company assumed he must have tampered with his meter. Understandable, I guess, and a great encouragement for us to do the same. But, what would happen if the power company went further, and sued him for reducing his energy consumption? You’d object, obviously.
Yesterday the Examiner ran a story on Eddie House, a guy that, through concern over the environment, managed to reduce his household waste to next to nothing through recycling, giving scraps to his dog, etc. Where it gets screwy is that the local refuse collection service has now sued Mr. House for no longer requiring their services.

The lawsuit claims House broke the city’s municipal code requiring all residential, commercial and industrial properties to contract with Allied Waste for pickup at least once a week… — Examiner
Eddie is a little taken aback, as it seem to him he’s being forced to produce trash.
“I don’t understand a city ordinance that requires you to fill up a can. That’s downright foolishness,” he said. — Examiner
Still, neighbours accuse him of burning his trash, which, if true, would diminish his trash-activism superhero status a little (alternative methods, like composting and/or vermiculture, where possible, would be far better). Eddie denies this charge though, stating he was only burning firewood.
House acknowledges that the fire department was called to his house several times, but says that each time he was simply burning firewood. — Examiner
Talk about being a captive customer.

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
some guy ... uh elsewhere ... who insisted on his rights to burn garbage in his backyard burn barrel regardless of the effect on neighbors. I thought this might be him.

Trakternut

That's one of the risks taken when a municipality uses private contractors to perform municipal tasks.

We had the direct opposite here. Waste management was the contractor for industrial and commercial waste, the city crews did residential garbage pickups. The city hired a new manager for the sanitation department who is an ex-Waste Management manager who was fired (and I can see why ) out in Washington state, somewhere.

He used his own personal agenda against WM by juggling figures until he convinced the city fathers that it would be more cost efficient to use the city-owned trucks and crews to collect all the trash, residential and commercial, leaving Waste Management to collect trash out in the rural areas. Waste Management owns a landfill some 80 miles away in another county where some of the rural trash was dumped. The city tried to get the county commission to force WM to dump all trash collected in the county at our municipal baler facility where they would have to pay tipping fees. Didn't happen. City crews have not, as of yet, learned how to put trash containers back where they got them from. Many times I've had to retrieve mine from the alley so the neighbor could drive through to his garage, after pickup.
I don't think case at the top of this thread warrants any action by anybody. I bet this fellow pays for garbage service no matter how much or little he puts out.

danocheese

WM likes to play the tipping fee game. The county owns and operates a dump they charge say $1 a ton tipping fee. WM will come in and say we will give you .50 or we will take our treasure to another site. The county who is actually the residents are stuck with picking up the tab for the continued dump operations. Some say it is fair bussiness practice. WM came in told our local guy to sell or they will jsut low ball him out of bussiness. Now they said it in a nice way. So WM has no compettion and they can dictate the rules of engagment.

Garbage is big bussiness don't mess with the WM.