• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Supreme Court and Eminent Domain

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Re: No-Knock Upheld by Supreme Court

Av8r3400 said:
This is a dangerous precedent along the lines of the "Eminent Domain" decision of a few months back. The government is getting way too grabby for my tastes.

To be clear, the eminent domain issue was ruled to be a 'states rights' issue not a national issue so the Supreme Court simply remanded the issue back to individual states. Many states either had laws on the books to prevent the abuse that was upheld, or have enacted laws to prevent it from happening now.

As for the no-knock issue I generally give it a positive nod. The police VERY VERY RARELY break into the WRONG home when serving a search warrant. The odds of a mistake, or abuse, I believe are low. The benefits are high enough that I believe it is worth the risk.

LarryRB

The recent emininet domain issue refers to New London Ct... Eminent domain is for the good of the people.. Such as, new road, reservoir or the likes. The reason so many are upset at this New London deal is, the supreme court just allowed private companies to take peoples private property for company use and therefore that companies newly found income producing properties...,.. THIS IS NOT what eminent domain was designed to do. Private companies building store fronts on water property is not for the good of that local municipality.... IT is for the good of a handful of company exec's and an easy get rich quick scheme... What the supreme court just pulled off I believe is nothing short of totaly criminal...

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

LarryRB said:
The recent emininet domain issue refers to New London Ct... Eminent domain is for the good of the people.. Such as, new road, reservoir or the likes. The reason so many are upset at this New London deal is, the supreme court just allowed private companies to take peoples private property for company use and therefore that companies newly found income producing properties...,.. THIS IS NOT what eminent domain was designed to do. Private companies building store fronts on water property is not for the good of that local municipality.... IT is for the good of a handful of company exec's and an easy get rich quick scheme... What the supreme court just pulled off I believe is nothing short of totaly criminal...

Well said Larry! :applause: :applause: :tiphat:

I Agree 100%

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

LarryRB said:
The reason so many are upset at this New London deal is, the supreme court just allowed private companies to take peoples private property for company use and therefore that companies newly found income producing properties.

Actually the Supreme Court simply said it had no jurisdiction in the the matter and that the State of Connecticut had the right, within its laws, to allow this action.

Further the Supreme Court's majority thought that the State had a bad policy, but that the law, while bad policy, was still legal because it was a states right issue. Had the very same thing occurred in many other states, the Supreme Court would not have even seen the case because in those states the actions of the developer would not have been allowed. Can't blame the Supreme Court on this one, but the State of Connecticut is a real villian in this case and if it has not changed its state laws since that issue then I would not want to ever live there.

Please understand the legal system in the US reserves all rights to the states that it does not specifically grant to the federal government. In this case, the federal government was not granted the power to overrule a stupid state law, therfore the US Supreme Court was unable to protect the individual property owners.