• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Colorado peaches!

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
In season now.:smile: Just finished some sliced over a dish of Vanilla bean ice cream..

Now that's a little taste of heaven! :smile:

I luv'em!

Regards, Kirk

Umberto

Yeah, I also got a case of them, they are good and juicy and even taste like a peach should.

I remember those days. I grew up in NE Iowa and in high school worked produce at the local Red Owl. We'd get a load of cases and they'd be gone in 2 days. You had to get your order in.

Here in WA the peaches can be hit and miss but this year all I've had have been good.

I just put a peach cobbler in the oven - half white peaches and half Lady Elberta.

A lot of folks from my hometown would go to Waterville to fish bullheads. Personally I'd rather go to the lock and dams on The River for crappies, walleyes, and the odd northern. I miss trout fishing in the Whitewater, too.

Umberto

This just came out of the range.

IMG_6420.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
In season now.:smile: Just finished some sliced over a dish of Vanilla bean ice cream..

Now that's a little taste of heaven! :smile:

I luv'em!

Regards, Kirk

I really hate to say this to an Iowa Corn Farmer but,,,, Colorado sweet corn cannot be beaten. Amazingly good.

Umberto

Olathe sweet corn is good but you obviously have not had peaches and cream from Iowa. I'll let Kirk expound a bit.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Olathe sweet corn is good but you obviously have not had peaches and cream from Iowa. I'll let Kirk expound a bit.

Are you kidding me? Of course I have had the best of Iowa. Back in the 90's I practically lived in Indianola while helping my Brother-in-law build his horse ranch. Orchards just north of town on US65 were awesome.
And I ate corn I carried from the fields myself.
Nope, the stuff I have been eating for the last two weeks here in St Louis, even though it was trucked in, was better. Better than any sweet corn I have ever tasted.

Including my own.

Local grocer has it 6 ears for a dollar. Assuming I don't eat it all, I'm putting a bunch up in the freezer.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Are you kidding me? Of course I have had the best of Iowa. Back in the 90's I practically lived in Indianola while helping my Brother-in-law build his horse ranch. Orchards just north of town on US65 were awesome.
And I ate corn I carried from the fields myself.
Nope, the stuff I have been eating for the last two weeks here in St Louis, even though it was trucked in, was better. Better than any sweet corn I have ever tasted.

Including my own.

Local grocer has it 6 ears for a dollar. Assuming I don't eat it all, I'm putting a bunch up in the freezer.

I think that the flavor and quality of sweet corn is more influenced by the timing of harvest than most other things. Variety is very important also, peaches and cream, a bi color corn is a very tasty and popular variety. And there are others that are very good as well..

My father grew many acres of sweet corn, and it well known around here for giving it away to friends and family. He always bought the seed by the lb. from Illinois research farm, or something like that. It was expencive seed, considering most farmers who buy seed corn, get the sweetcorn seed throw in as a free bee..

It depends on what you like as well. Some varieties are what I call tender crisp, and others are more "meaty" and substantial in your mouth. Some folks like one or the other better.

But the day it is harvested is really important IMHO, as if it is to far along, much of the sugars are turning into starches. As in most things after it is picked, you want to eat it as soon as possible..

franc, that is a great deal for corn. Here we have been paying 5 dollars for 6 ears. If you buy a case it is $4 per half dozen..

Regards, Kirk

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Just bought 14 ears for $2 from the Amish guy the other day. Picked fresh that morning and it was was great. Will have some more for lunch today. $4 a dozen is the going price anymore around here.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I think that the flavor and quality of sweet corn is more influenced by the timing of harvest than most other things. Variety is very important also, peaches and cream, a bi color corn is a very tasty and popular variety. And there are others that are very good as well..

My father grew many acres of sweet corn, and it well known around here for giving it away to friends and family. He always bought the seed by the lb. from Illinois research farm, or something like that. It was expencive seed, considering most farmers who buy seed corn, get the sweetcorn seed throw in as a free bee..

It depends on what you like as well. Some varieties are what I call tender crisp, and others are more "meaty" and substantial in your mouth. Some folks like one or the other better.

But the day it is harvested is really important IMHO, as if it is to far along, much of the sugars are turning into starches. As in most things after it is picked, you want to eat it as soon as possible..

franc, that is a great deal for corn. Here we have been paying 5 dollars for 6 ears. If you buy a case it is $4 per half dozen..

Regards, Kirk

The Colorado Corn just happens to be especially good this year. On the other had, Arkansas tomatoes were crap. Some years work out some don't
Fresh and close is usually the best deal.
But, like you said the Colorado peaches were excellent.
:beer:

carry on.

Umberto

The Olathe corn is always excellent and is even trucked to WA where our sweet corn is not that bad.

Our tomatoes have been very good this year especially the Czech plants. The fruit is small but full of flavour.