• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Help me Nixon, I need a chainsaw!

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
I can no longer stand the humility of owning a Stihl chainsaw. My neighbors avoid me, my wife shuns me and my dogs refuse to leave the house. Help me oh great wizard of chainsaws, and give me guidance to the manly tool I must acquire to reclaim my woodly dominance and bring honor back to my household… :shit7:

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
Poulan 235! Make sure to wear your speedo and flip flops !
On a side note, just bought a ms 460....it's being ported now .

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Get a Jonsrud. The Amish are all switching to them. I like my Stihl and it does more than I want to do.

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
Get a Jonsrud. The Amish are all switching to them. I like my Stihl and it does more than I want to do.
Mines a MS 310 with a 20" bar and it's just not enough for some of the Hemlock's that need to be cut.

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
Mines a MS 310 with a 20" bar and it's just not enough for some of the Hemlock's that need to be ......
Check out the ms 362 or maybe the ms 441 if you prefer Stihl . 562xp, or 372xp if you want a husky . It really comes down to which dealer gives you the best after sales service . Bill has a good point about Jonsered, they are nice saws. But, the are basically a husky with a few tweaks ,and dealerships can be hard to find depending on what part of the country you're in .
Also, if its just a few trees, you could look at renting a larger saw.

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
Also, if its just a few trees, you could look at renting a larger saw.
No, it's not a few trees, it's hundreds. I have 50 acres of my own land and there are several thousand acres behind me that is government land. The Hemlocks are all dieing due to a bug inported from China, or so the story goes. Regardless, the trees are dieing and need to be cut.

Also, I am putting in an outdoor wood furnace (exactly like Mules) and it will want to be fed regulary. I've always done OK with my little saw but after seeing how the bigger saws work I'm hooked.

Thanks guys.

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
Well then if you are going to be doing a lot of felling , you might want to also look at the ms 460 .its about to be superseded by the 461 . Arguably one of the best saws Stihl has done in recent years .

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I can just see you and the Mrs. with the Predator.:yum::yum:

How ya going to hold it sideways and keep the oil in the pan??:ermm:

nixon just has you all jacked up on big saws doesn't he??:yum::yum:

Regards, Kirk

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Squerly,

I have a Stihl MS 390 that nixon makes fun of. 36" bar I think. BIG chips for sure. Maybe could use more HP, but so could LOTS of things....

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
Squerly,

I have a Stihl MS 390 that nixon makes fun of. 36" bar I think. BIG chips for sure. Maybe could use more HP, but so could LOTS of things....
Well the bar certainly is long enough, looks like a nice saw!

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Total length of the bar is 36, actual cutting portion is like 32". It is probably why my right shoulder isn't so good anymore...

It is the "rancher" grade, next step down from the profesional models like nixon use"s (?)..

I figured I didn't need the professional one as it is for occasional use.

Regards, Kirk

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I run the Husqvarna 365 (it's one of their professional models) and as I recall, it's similar in specs to the MS390. I've been very happy with it. 10+ years of use and it's never seen a repair. Can't say anymore as it's been a few years, but Alamia (www.alamia.com) out of Colorado used to have the best pricing on Husky's.

loboloco

I have had a Husky for 28 years. Only gone in the shop three times for minor stuff. Admittedly it is only used occasionally now, but when I first bought it I was cutting and selling firewood for a couple of seasons. It would be run extremely hard for about a month, then put up for several months. Only once have I had to have the carb worked on. I use a bow and a 20" bar. Really love my bow.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I've never used a bow, whats the benefit?

They don't bind up as easily. The bad part is that they're generally considered quite a bit more dangerous compared to a regular bar. With the advent of specialized (small) Arborist saws for topping trees and cutting up the small stuff, these fell by the wayside.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
There's is only one real chain saw ........... Jonsered ............ :whistling:

I've had a 2063 for 14 years, awesome saw ...... best of the 3 I own!

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
IIRC, Husqvarna bought them out. Aren't they now just re-badged Husky's?

They do now but not when I bought my saw, it's also a pre-Electrolux saw. Electrolux bought them both and then Husky separated and took Jonsered with them ......... Jonsered designed the first one man chainsaw.

BTW ... Parts can be bought for for either saw at either dealer. There are differences with the saws such as handle angle. Most new features show up in the Husky line today.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Squerly, if you plan on burning hemlock you better get used to splitting it down into small chunks. Should be aged at least 2 years also. Find a local store you can get cardboard boxes from and burn out the creosote regularly. It makes good heat but does not last as long.

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
Squerly, if you plan on burning hemlock you better get used to splitting it down into small chunks. Should be aged at least 2 years also. Find a local store you can get cardboard boxes from and burn out the creosote regularly. It makes good heat but does not last as long.
I'll burn oak in the furnace Mule. The Hemlocks are for campfire wood. The road that goes by the Southern side of my property leads up to a national campsite (about 3 miles away) and the campers drive by my road all day. I plan to put a small load of Hemlock out by the road where everyone that drives by can see it. (Advertisement :brows:) The only other guy selling wood gets $25.00 for about 20 pieces of whatever he has the most of that day. In the spring, summer and autumn I can easily sell 5-10 loads of my Hemlock for $25.00 a load (about 30 split pieces). I'll deliver it to their campsite for an additional $5.00. Should be a couple of hundred bucks a day without too much trouble. And I have to cut up the Hemlock anyway, so I might as well seel it, right? The campers don't care if it's Pine or Hemlock as long as it burns and they can roast marshmallows.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Crap, you are going to be another hustler like Big Al! When are you guys going to learn to slow down and enjoy life?:whistling::yum::yum:

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
Here is the website for deals on Husky.
http://www.alamia.com/

Not exactly deals there . looks close to MSRP less shipping .
Hey Squerly ,..... check out the Echo saws while you are looking . great warranty ,and they make a decent saw . But, like the Huskys , stay away from the box store models .The 80 cc looks like a true work horse .

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
Seriously Squerly , if You are going to be feeding a boiler , and cutting camp wood , get a decent saw . Either the MS 460 ,or the 390 xp . Personally I'd select the 460 as its a bit lighter . Also , get some decent PPE . Thats all Im going to offer here . You all can carry on with your 60cc mid grade saws running 36" bars and such .

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
Talked with the Jonsered dealer today and I'm leaning toward the Jonsered 2172 with 32" bar for $835.00. Has a 2 year warrantee. I guess if it's going to break it will do it within that first 2 years, at least I would hope so. I asked him if he had ever woods ported this particular saw and he looked at me like I was nuts. First (he says) it will void the warrantee and second, (he continues) it doesn't need it. Told him I would discuss it with Nixon and get back with him...

As I was leaving the store he was scratching his head and I heard him say... who the fuck is Nixon?

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
As I was leaving the store he was scratching his head and I heard him say... who the fuck is Nixon?
The person that You will never get a straight answer out of again .So, fuck off. Howzat ?
BTW , you went wussy , go 2188 . Its as big as they sell . Get some PPE , you are going to need it .

Last edited:

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
BTW , you went wussy , go 2188 . Its as big as they sell . Get some PPE , you are going to need it .
Yeah, that's a big saw but I was hoping for something I could lug out to the jobsite without hireing 2 men and a tow truck. As for PPE, I've got ear defenders... that way I won't hear that limb falling off one of those old, dead Hemlocks.

But all joking aside, what do you guy's think of this saw? And is there one that performs just as well but perhaps is less expensive? I'm not trying to be cheap, just don't want any "after the sale" regrets.