• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

UDS - Ugly Drum Smoker

BamsBBQ

if you dont know what this is, you gotta look into it... it is basically a 55 gallon drum made into a efficient way to bbq food.

some pics
100_2246.jpg

udspics003xn3.jpg

100_2207.jpg

How to build a UDS by the pickled pig

and almost 200 pages of builders and building questions BBQ Brethren forums.

urednecku

Site Supporter
Nice! And it would be fun to make.

(BTW, my wife said not to try the plastic drums,they put an awful flavor in your food.):puke1:

benspawpaw

just a note

if you do try to make one try and get a barrel that had a liner inside. if not it takes longer to burn out the chemical or what ever was inside. the best is a food grade barrel with a liner. one good fire and she is ready to bbq.

BamsBBQ

5agd93.jpg

and burn baby burn....lol
333lt7t.jpg

finding any weber replacement grills are impossible here without spending $40 so i built them..not totally round
2cftzcy.jpg

oumiyh.jpg

coat of primer(most dont prime it but i had it down to bare metal..it needed it) plus intakes installed
2ldc20k.jpg

charcoal basket all done ready to go..
akimtv.jpg

all the hardware in place (the stuff on the inside of the drum is cooking spray not paint.lol)
24ew2mu.jpg

picked up one of these today for $14.99
-!Maverick%20ET%20808C%20Digital%20Roasting%20Thermometer%20and%20Timer--144714452.jpg

final paint...its a green pearl color..cant remember exactly..got it at the pawn shop for $3 a can..lol
25rpoip.jpg

zmfm8y.jpg

BamsBBQ

i put around 6 lbs of unlit in charcoal basket around an old coffee can and lit 14 brickettes
s2sg3r.jpg

opened up 3 intake valves...quickly closed one... down to one intake fully open....holding perfect bbq temps, will check shortly and adjust accordingly
or5949.jpg

33f5h0i.jpg

20u1zcw.jpg

2myb4ms.jpg

4 hours later
34s5xs7.jpg

2en2h50.jpg

Alonzo Tubbs

Carpe Diem
SUPER Site Supporter
Bam, didn't you have a thread about Brinkman Smokers? The look like a smaller version of the same thing, just a little more practical for s small family. I wonder how the smaller version compares to the industrial size?

BamsBBQ

Bam, didn't you have a thread about Brinkman Smokers? The look like a smaller version of the same thing, just a little more practical for s small family. I wonder how the smaller version compares to the industrial size?

yup i did... i have since sold that smoker... to build this one..

this smoker is good for a smaller family, is more of a set it and forget it kind of smoker.

it is very effecient, very easy to maintain,very easy to build.

the brinkman while a good smoker in its own right will use twice as much charcoal as this one, it is a little harder to control and holds about the same amount of food as the UDS

on the UDS i can get burn time of about 12-14 hours on about 10lbs of charcoal, it will maintain a temp of at least 225* for that period of time. most butts and briskets will not take that long because the UDS has a convection oven effect..things seem to stay moister and cooker quicker...

if you have any questions about other smokers or this when, please dont hesitate to ask...

norscaner

Bams.
I just wanted to thank you for saving me $400 on a new smoker. I was looking at one of those fancy dual chamber units and you talked me into a UDS. I followed a link from the one you showed me and came up with this. It was a weekend project and a total cost of appx $8.50. I ran a couple fires through it just to clear the old files:biggrin: I have already redesigned the firepit.

Attachments

• IMG_8867.jpg
    IMG_8867.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 4,137
  • IMG_8869.jpg
    IMG_8869.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 4,166
  • IMG_8882.jpg
    IMG_8882.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 4,091
  • IMG_8883.jpg
    IMG_8883.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 4,065
  • IMG_8885.jpg
    IMG_8885.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 3,985

BamsBBQ

couple of suggestions.. you might want to drill some hole in the bottom drawer to give you some more air flow and put it up on some bricks to further help the air flow..... put some temp guages on the sides right below your cooking grates(i used turkey deepfryer themometers)

and i am not sure what you have for exhaust.

yours looks great btw... you are now hooked...lol:yum::yum:

BamsBBQ

made a couple of changes today

added a handle and a side wire basket from an old gas grill

Attachments

• IMG_0305.JPG
    IMG_0305.JPG
    151.5 KB · Views: 3,913
  • IMG_0306.JPG
    IMG_0306.JPG
    158.6 KB · Views: 3,850
  • IMG_0311.JPG