• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

IMPORTANT NOTICE ON THE CALIFORNIA SHOOTOUT

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
HEY All , I just recieved this from Mrs.Seely of Saftey One , after sending her a copy of Vance's early post on snow conditions at Yuba Gap . Can anyone make a suggestion . They need help !!!! Here's her email and our past correspondence to each other .
Allen

Hello!!! What perfect timing on this email coming over to me. We are aware of the lack of snow fall as well and really bummed about it. I am in the process of calling ski resorts, the Forest Service, etc and I have only received voice mail after voice mail. I did speak to a gentleman at Alpine Meadow and he recommended Blackwood Canyon. The phone # for the USFS is disconnected so I have left messages for a few other locations (USDFS and off-highway motor vehicle recreation division).

Do you happen to have any suggestions or recommendations on locations? We are still pushing to keep the event on the 28th, however we know we will have to move the location.

I so appreciate all of your contact and updates with me, it has been most helpful. I look forward to hearing back from you.

Sherri Seely
Safety One, Inc.
(303) 734-0772

Sent: Monday, February 19, 2007 10:25 AM
To: Sherri Seely
Subject: Re: Snowcat Shootout Reminder for California Feb. 28, 2007

Dear Mrs. Seely

Just a update from this end on the snow conditions at Yuba Gap . One of our Members just went there yesterday and this is what he found .

Below is his email post :

Re: Snowcat shoot-out
Hi,

Sheesh!! I'm tired and sore today after a 2fer snowmobile trip in the Sierra. Went out for a typical day trip and did about 50-60 miles in the mountains - there was still lots of untracked snow from last weeks 3-4 foot dump. Yippee. Then on way home we decided we wanted more and picked up some sandwiches and coctail fixins and decided to go to Soda Springs for a picnic and night ride. Plenty of snow in Soda Springs, too and had a great time. After tearing up the meadows and visiting a couple neighbors cabins I was finally ready to head down to Yuba Gap to check out conditions - It was now 11pm!!!

Sorry for the long story but I had to share - Now... the snow at Yuba Gap does not exist...
cid:image001.gif@01C7541E.FBD3C3E0

There are only a few patches here and there.
Pic 1: Road in
Pic 2: Gate CLOSED on road to campground. The campground is still a ways down the road so it is not accessible. The small patch of snow is about the biggest one in the area.
Pic 3: This is the sign at the SnoPark near the TT/Snowflower area. What you can't see in the pic is the dark banner along the sign is actually a "SnoPark CLOSED" banner.

Sorry for the dark pix but you get the picture. We would need at least 4-6 feet of snow at that elevation to make the even possible. We have storms coming in Wed or so but it does not look good IMHO.

Hmm, a bit long-winded this am...

Vance

Thanks Al,

I'll ask a couple folks for suggestion and forward on. I have never been to Blackwood Canyon but I'll ask the snowmobile crowd about it. I'm thinking that Iron Mtn SnoPark would be perfect. Problem is that it is over on 88. Many of the snoparks don't have hill nearby - but IM is right next to an old (closed) ski resort.

Castle Peak might work, too.

Vance

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Maybe Ely. I will check the weather report but for now we have a small amount of snow 12" at 7,000 feet and more up higher. I will call around to get snow pack report from some Ranger friends.

Vance

Well,

The wx is getting better!!!

:snow2_smi: :letitsnow: :snow2_smi:

found this:

Statement as of 3:00 PM PST on February 19, 2007

... Snow to return to the Sierra and western Nevada by midweek
with strong winds also possible...

A cold low pressure system is expected to move through the Sierra
and western Nevada Wednesday and Thursday. Winds will increase ahead
of this storm with strong gusts possible in the lower elevations of
western Nevada Wednesday night and Thursday.

While snow levels will start around 5500 feet Wednesday... these
levels are expected to drop to all valley floors in time for the
most pronounced period of precipitation Wednesday night into
Thursday. Snow accumulations up to 2 feet are possible in the higher
elevations of the Sierra by Thursday night with some accumulating
snowfall possible in western Nevada valleys.

Strong winds will combine with the heavy snow to create white out
conditions with considerable blowing and drifting of snow across
the Sierra passes and other exposed high elevation areas.
Motorists should expect difficult winter driving conditions in the
Sierra until the winter storm moves out of the region on Friday.

:letitsnow:

Vance

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Mike , I think Safety One wanted to keep it closer to the west coast to draw the ski resort groups from Oregon and southern Cal . I'm not sure if Ely is too far east ???? What about Donner Ski Ranch that backs up to Boreal Ridge on Old Highway 40 . Norm Sailor owns it and it does have a hotel and restaurant on site . He is a really nice guy . Maybe I could call him ?????? It is right on the top of Donner summit so they get the most snow in the whole area . I do not know if they have a big enough area though for the snowcats ,along with their regular Ski crowd ?????

Boreal Ridge is also a good location with more room .

Vance

I'm not sure if the ski areas will want them mixing in... I will call a buddy of mine that is a groomer at Boreal (also coming to the shootout) and see what he thinks.

Royal Gorge is the largest xc ski area in the US and is right there, too. There is plent of room but not sure if the cats would be welcome over there...

I put out a call to my snowmobile buddies, they will prolly have more suggestions to pass on.

V

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Vance said:
I'm not sure if the ski areas will want them mixing in... I will call a buddy of mine that is a groomer at Boreal (also coming to the shootout) and see what he thinks.

Royal Gorge is the largest xc ski area in the US and is right there, too. There is plent of room but not sure if the cats would be welcome over there...

I put out a call to my snowmobile buddies, they will prolly have more suggestions to pass on.

V

Thanks Vance ,
I sent her back and email and told her the FF Snow Cat crew was on the job and looking hard !!!!

Royal Gorge or the Serene Lakes area might be the perfect spot !!!!! Whatta you think ??? Its been years since I was up to Serene lakes and I can't remember if they have anything usable up there or not for a shootout location .

What's the name of that little ski resort right pass the train tracks as you head toward Serene Lakes going out of Soda Springs ???? Is that Royal Gorge ?? It has a pretty steep hill if I remember correctly .......

Vance

BigAl said:
Thanks Vance ,

What's the name of that little ski resort right pass the train tracks as you head toward Serene Lakes going out of Soda Springs ???? Is that Royal Gorge ?? It has a pretty steep hill if I remember correctly .......

That is Soda Springs - the first resort on the right.

The other option is Donner Ski Ranch.

Royal Gorge is the xc area that is next to Serene Lakes.

Al, I need some more info from Safety One about the event. The peeps that I'm asking for locations are asking:

- how many cats?
- how many people?
- any other detail or requirements for a location?

I'll let you forward the message to them so we keep one voice. If you want me to contact them just let me know.

Vance

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Vance ,
I am going to let you talk directly with them . It will cut down on time and you seem to know who has what to offer .I would probably mess it up being a middle man !

Here is her email address :

Sherri Seely
sherri@safetyoneinc.com

I need to get that other track on before it starts raining tomorrow . Besides ,you know the Soda Springs area much better than me . Holler when and where you want me to help on this .

Here is their email I recieved this morning .
Al

Allen,

Thank you ever so much for all of the information and for your help!! I will be out of the office for a few hours today, but I forwarded your email to Linda and Alex here in our office. You are welcome to speak with either Linda or Alex and I will be back in the office around 2:00 MST today.

Thanks again!! J
Sherri

Vance

I sent a message to Sherri yesterday with some questions, snopark info, and a suggestion to consider Cisco Grove Campground/snowplay/snowmobile area. With the incoming snow they should have good conditions and excellent access.

I have not heard back but I'm going to ping Sherri again, now.

Vance

Vance

This just in!!!

Dear Shoot-Out Registrant!

(From Alex Marcoux-Safety One)

In case you were wondering, the California Shoot-Out is still a go! While snow conditions may not seem optimum for snowcat demonstrations, we still have an exciting day planned. Yes, you’re still going to be able to test drive the newest vehicles and see them in action. This fun day will also include door prizes and lunch! We’re even encouraged that NOAA has forecasted incoming snow. But whether there’s additional snow or not, the vendors will still be there with their finest vehicles to demo!

Although we have you pre-registered, please plan on completing the registration between 8:30-9:00 next Wednesday February 28, at Snow Flower Resort, Yuba Gap, CA.

If for any reason, you’re unable to make this event, please let us know ASAP! You can reply back to this email or call us at 1-800-485-7669.

Travel Safe!

Alex Marcoux

Director of Marketing & Sales

Safety One Inc.

7144 Reynolds Dr.

Sedalia, CO80135

www.SafetyOneInc.com

Jen's Jeep

Site Supporter
I think we'll be OK:thumb:

Here is our house 45 mins after it started snowing:letitsnow: :letitsnow: :letitsnow: :letitsnow: :letitsnow: :letitsnow: :letitsnow: :letitsnow:

Its coming down heavy with lots of big flakes!!

EDIT: We have close to 2 inches already:snow2_smi:

Attachments

• snow222a.jpg
    snow222a.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Its starting to snow here in Grass Valley . Maybe I can test run Yetti right here without needing to trailer it anywhere !!!!:thumb:

Jen's Jeep

Site Supporter
As of noon...we had 12". It has snowed on and off, but nothing like earlier. Winter storm warning in effect until midnight:snow2_smi:

So Eric...you are not gunna tell ours friends here what I did today:thumb: ??

Jen's Jeep

Site Supporter
No...I didnt take the cat out:smileywac my back is pretty messed up so I have no business heading down our driveway in snow/ice.

Instead I promptly stuck my Jeep in a ditch...the got stuck at our son's daycare, trying to avoid taking out her fence:cry: I couldnt stop the Jeeep from sliding down hill:cry:

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Strating to snow here as well (Ely Nevada) Post to get 5 inches tonight and another 2" sometime in the morning. Plus a few feet by the 28th. So Winter has FINALLY arrived and me without my snowcat!

Vance

Jen's Jeep said:
No...I didnt take the cat out:smileywac my back is pretty messed up so I have no business heading down our driveway in snow/ice.

Instead I promptly stuck my Jeep in a ditch...the got stuck at our son's daycare, trying to avoid taking out her fence:cry: I couldnt stop the Jeeep from sliding down hill:cry:

Seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee... you should'a taken your son to daycare in the Tucker!!! Then - no Jeep in the ditch and your son would have been the envy of all the other kids at the daycare!!! You'd of been hero for the day:thumb:

Ah well.... maybe next time.

V