• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

tuning for altitude

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
since i'm at or close to sea level and McCall is over 5000ft do you think it's a good idea to do it? 1600cc curbureted vw snow trac my pb is turbo vw 1.9 TDi it should be fine.

4TrackCat

Site Supporter
You'll definitely be running on the richer side, but the larger engines are much more tolerant than say a snowmobile. IMO, set up for 2500 to 4000 would be just fine and if you find yourself operating a lot at sea level, you could pull the choke a bit to richen it up and run cooler. On sleds, 5k wasn't too risky for burn down, but you'd feel some power loss. 6500 to 8500 was much more dangerous. Just my .02

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Lets get a bit more specific.. Please :flowers:

My Snow Trac has the VW 1,600 cc. engine in single port configuration.

At 4-6K ft., would you get by with going one jet leaner, or would it take two or more?

It looks easy enough to do, changing jets.

This flatlander needs to know about this, if I am going to Colorado to play. :unsure:

At Pikes Peak a year ago I saw some older motorcycles that were suffering from the altitude. It did not look like fun.

Regards, Kirk

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Lets get a bit more specific.. Please :flowers:

My Snow Trac has the VW 1,600 cc. engine in single port configuration.

At 4-6K ft., would you get by with going one jet leaner, or would it take two or more?

It looks easy enough to do, changing jets.

This flatlander needs to know about this, if I am going to Colorado to play. :unsure:

At Pikes Peak a year ago I saw some older motorcycles that were suffering from the altitude. It did not look like fun.

Regards, Kirk

When I've been to Pikes Peak I was suffering from altitude myself and that was no fun either after a while I know a person adjusts. :unsure:

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Here is a little power loss formula for natural aspirated engines the rule of thumb
Has always been 3% per 1000 feet roughly this one adjusts for temp, altitude, dew point, inches of mercury (barometer)

The colder is the more power you will have (air density) unless it's -300 then you better have a really good heater

http://wahiduddin.net/calc/calc_hp_dp.htm