• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

1202B repairs

I have recently acquired a 1202B. It is in good shape, the drivers are rough and the tires needed replaced. The floor pan under master cylinders is corroded away due to brake fluid having leaked. The exhaust was cut off, and the carb needs tuning and cleaning.

1202-8_zpsb1d2741f.jpg

1202-9_zps5bdb7e7f.jpg

1202-2_zps7e5652ad.jpg

Got it in the shop Saturday morning for a tire change.
1202_zps09d79025.jpg

These tracks are a definate PITA compared to my little 24" tracks on Imp.

1202-7_zpscedd46f2.jpg

New shoes
1202-5_zpsd509dde5.jpg

1202-6_zps27bfcaae.jpg

1202-3_zps333f2b77.jpg

Exhaust is done but forgot to snap photos of it. Will post up later. Also have carb off for cleaning. Will run it this way for the rest of the year, then we will be swapping in a 250 with a C4 trans.

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
I have recently acquired a 1202B. It is in good shape, the drivers are rough and the tires needed replaced. The floor pan under master cylinders is corroded away due to brake fluid having leaked. The exhaust was cut off, and the carb needs tuning and cleaning.

Only in a snowcat is this considered "good shape". I wonder what one in "poor shape" would look like. Reminds me of a song... "uses a little oil but other than that she's cherry" ..."took 2quarts of 40 wt oil just to get her to the conoco station".

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Awesome... Awesome...

I'm Jelly...

From what I hear these are some of the best powder machines out there... I'm definitely thinking of getting a set of tracks like that for my current 1450.

Would love to see the suspension setup on this machine, how the torsion axles setup (degree/direction), how the tension of the tracks is done, etc.

Congrats on the purchase!

Thanks Nikson!

I am really excited, all the sheeting is straight and I think it will polish. very few scratches.. I will get you some pics, it is really simple setup.
This machine has the oc4 which I actually desired after the imp. I love choosing my "base gear" and then letting the automatic do the rest. YOu can always find a combination that works well. I am excited to see some additional photos of yours! Looks like it is coming along well!!

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Only in a snowcat is this considered "good shape". .

Plus one for that comment..... I was thinking it.....

after looking the project over I think that opinion could be upgraded to pretty good shape, easy.

I will add that the light weight sprytes with there dinky rear ends get a bad rap? I am probably not qualified to say that but I have an imp and a A model spryte in the rotation and I do really like the spryte. I think you will love your new ride.

Oh and I cant get over the trailer, holy hell.....

Mike

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
I would love to have a 4 door sprite like that. I do believe an oil burner conversion would be in order however as I like diesel power in my larger cats

Mike,

I agree I don't have a lot of hours with the OC4 but for my use I think its perfect. And yes the trailer is a little hefty. 40' and it really works great but its a mileage killer!!

Nome,

I agree I would love a diesel conversion and there is room but I don't want to pay 4 grand for a 4BT.... I am in love with the machine. Spacious cab etc it is the machine I have wanted for a long time.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
I can get 4 b's for a lot less but I don't believe it would be my first choise I think a 135 Isuzu turbo diesel from an npr truck would be my first choice. you can only put so much torque against either oc rear end I have torqued the case on my oc 12 with just my 380 ford diesel in the 2100

Northcoast

GOLD Site Supporter
My 1st cat was exactly like yours,I wish I still had it! An auto trans is the way to go,and if you ever repower it,PERFECTION! That cat will go anywhere,but a little too slowly with the ford industrial 6. Congrats!

Northcoast

I love the look and size.. a repower is on the way, I got a 250 in the deal with a c4 auto, my intention is to attempt to get some mild Power out of the 250 and that way I can run the cat until the swap is ready this summer..

Nome
That is a good point!! What kind of power does the Isuzu put down?

Today I repaired grills, waxed and cleaned exterior. Pulled the gas tank and improvements to lighting. I had a Thiokol emblem for the front so it riveted that on. 52" bar in front and 12" bar in back..

123_zpsizbs8n7w.jpg

1234_zps3cze9ocv.jpg

12345_zpslivpmm7a.jpg

Painted the grilles black again. Entirely too much orange up front before.
I think I will begin stripping the interior and spraying either lizard skin or Raptor liner before cutting interior panels.

zspryte

Site Supporter
Looks like things are cleaning up nicely. Great job. I like the front light bar but wonder how lights that high will work when it is really coming down. When it snowing and blowing my stock high beams white out everything in their path and do more harm than good.

Zspryte,

I agree with you, I am a little concerned it might cause snoblindness in heavy snow. I think I will mount a 24" down by grille. The 52" is heavy and I wanted to make sure it was anchored to steel. I have same light bar on imp and it flexes the roof.

Tele dawg thanks for the link!!

Jon
We were right just a good waxing is all she needed!!

Well today I got the carb cleaned and did a tuneup, got the exhaust sealed up(blown gasket). I also started cutting floor panels, I am waiting for the raptor liner to show up so it was about all I could do. I cut them out of 1/2 plywood, and hope to start cutting the back and side panels tomorrow. Back and sides will also be out of 1/2 inch and then upper panels will be underlayment or 1/4 inch.

9_zpsntk8tttf.jpg

7_zpspb0sqs6b.jpg

Passenger side with sealer on it.

6_zps1wsqs8ox.jpg

5_zpso2tyg7jq.jpg

Just set in place they will be sprayed with raptor liner.

4_zpsnmpruwav.jpg

Passenger side in place

2_zpsfiezjolj.jpg

Rear seat area

1_zpsqwsp7yvq.jpg

I will be pulling the panels back out and spraying all aluminum floor and sides with raptor liner. THe plywood will also be sprayed with raptor liner. I will then put a rubber mat on top to finish off.

Anyone got a line on flat rubber flooring with a jute insulation on the back? I have searched high and low and cant find anything but I know its out there.

Well worked a couple of hours today, Put a marine/antislip coating on floor today. Also cut the kick panels for the tub, both Driver and Passenger sides, and coated them with sealer.

34_zpstuete2wi.jpg

36_zpsijms96yp.jpg

Its a black rubber coating.. A friend of mine used it on the deck of his boat and swears by it. We will see, it will be under either carpet or a rubber pad.

37_zpszqlqzgbe.jpg

39_zpse79cike5.jpg

31_zpskgchlhvo.jpg

32_zpsktzcsw3x.jpg

33_zpsidl5jd8t.jpg

38_zpswzee0cyk.jpg

40_zpsdmgc4vbg.jpg

The kick panels (side) will be carpeted with outdoor carpet. I still need to make door and back wall panels out of 1/2. The roof will be done in 1/4" and carpeted as well..

zspryte

Site Supporter
How are you attaching the kick panels to the cat?

On the roof, will the plywood be butted against the aluminum or will you have a gap? If you have a gap, do you think there will be an issue with condensation collecting on the aluminum and dropping onto the wood? Won't want a mold or rot issue.

Have you installed plywood & carpet the same way on any other cats before? Was it good at killing the noise?

I use a combination of Rivnuts and then drill some of the factory rivets and puts screws through instead.

As far as moisture that's what I use the raptor liner for. It makes everything air and water tight and also stops the small rattles. I also makes the drum effect of the aluminum much duller.

The roof will attach the same as sides and floor. First spray with raptor liner on inside. then I will use a layer of jute and maybe carpet pad or some other filler. I did this on the imp and have had no moisture in the cab to speak of. It made a large difference on that machine...

I would think I would have less of a moisture issue than those who attach carpet to the aluminum directly. I also treat all of the plywood panels with a sealer. and the roof will get 1/4 to help keep the weight down...

Last edited:

mtncrawler

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I think you have a 1202-A although it does have B-model track grousers. As someone who has been successful using A-model Sprytes, I'd suggest you get two of the stronger two piece wheels for the front axle and run 12 ply tires. A soft foam fill would be nice but probably not necessary. Keep in mind when you do the engine/tranny swap the 250 has a taller block so you will have to modify the engine cover for clearance. The OC-4 works well for what it was designed for but if you power-up your 250 and put the C-4 auto in that's alot more power to the input shaft. Remember that Thiokol built these machines with the 170 cubic inch engine with the idea that the OC-4 could live with that amount of power. I pay attention to added weight on my machines although I know it has to be done sometimes. Added weight increases ground pressure, reduces performance (flotation and speed) and in certain snow conditions stresses the differential especially when you go to turn. Thiokol built the A-models lightweight. Fiberglass bucket seats, aluminum skinned tunnel, and almost everything else was designed with an eye towards keeping them light. The data plate lists a maximum gross weight that Thiokol was serious about. I think the OC-4 gets a bad reputation because of modifications that increase weight and power beyond design limits and when the differential breaks it is then blamed as a piece of junk. Just my 2 cents, take it for what it's worth.

Mtn crawler

I agree I am looking for two pc front wheels. That seems to be a popular recomendation.. as for weight I figure with seats carpet and plywood I will only add around 200 lbs. I use my cats for recreation only and do not pull or groom so I don't anticipate trouble with the oc4 but if it fails I will either swap oc12 in or rebuild.. if I swap 250 in it will be for auto trans primarily. I will not hop it up much if at all. My understanding was that the biggest issue with oc4 was when people pop or Com off clutch to hard. Also the power I gain with 250 some will be lost with automatic. Maybe as much as 15%.

Also I did put d range tire on it.. one of the greatest perks of my imp is that it is possible to have a conversation while driving it.. no need for ear plugs or intercom. Quiet and comfortable is my goal. I don't use these machines for work per say

Also I did put d range tire on it.. one of the greatest perks of my imp is that it is possible to have a conversation while driving it.. no need for ear plugs or intercom. Quiet and comfortable is my goal. I don't use these machines for work per say

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
I wasn't going to talk about the front wheels but now that it has come up a bulletproof solution is a perma groomer tire for br-400 you will have to change out the studs to 9/16 grade 8 nuts and bolts the other option is to use the aluminum mono rail wheels with the torqueing from the tracks when crossing ruts or un even drifted snow it only took about 8 hours of operation and I was pulling a tire off one of the center position to limp home. my next up grade is a hub with larger bearings for the front the spindles are fine but the bearings look small to me.