• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Should Pluto stay as a planet?

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I see astronomers have voted no and it's going to be removed.

OkeeDon

What will it be, now? I mean, it's still there, isn't it? Or is it one of those places they think is there because there is an absence of nothing?

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yep. It's still there.

I think what brought this up is the fact they found several other "things" in the Kuiper Belt that are the size of Pluto or larger. Instead of adding all of them, they're changing the criteria which then knocks Pluto out of the status of "planet".

Kind of odd in that Pluto even has moons but so does Xena and EL61. :confused2:

jwstewar

When I was in school we learned the planets by the phrase: My Very Eager Mother Just Scorched Uncle Ned's Pants.

Does this mean we have to change it to: My Very Eager Mother Just Screwed Uncle Ned:yankchain: Hopefully Ned is your Uncle on your Dad's side!!!!:hide: :horsepoop: :blahblah: :yankchain:

Glink

Site Supporter
You have to wonder how much taxpayer cash gets rat-holed in this exercise towards no real end.

mak2

I think this is great it is an issue. I figured most dummies today would not know there was other planets out there if not for that comedy show a few years ago about the third rock from the sun. I am not a mathmatacian (heck I cant even spell it) but I remember reading about a mathmatical formula that indicated there should be a planet where Pluto is, and that is why it was found. I think this is just a temporary semantics issue, as in my field someone is getting published and seeking tenure. Damn scholars.

Cityboy

Banned
Now's the time for a good Uranus joke....but I don't know one. :confused2:

Lets see..Aren't you glad they didn't vote out your anus...:hide: Sorry.