• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

schmidt's Snow Trac at MOUNTAIN HOME LODGE

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Normally I would not post for another member, but I got an email from a new member who is a Snow Trac owner who said he was busy with tourist season at his resort.

You will notice a couple things different about this Snow Trac. On the inside his driver's seat is differnet than mine. And he actually has his passenger seats padded!

Take a look at the tracks. These tracks have one large rubber tire at the rear, the other style has 2 large rubber tires, one at the rear and one near the front, behind the drive sprocket.

The fuel tank was removed from the inside of the Snow Trac (normally it would be directly behind the driver's seat, under the passenger's seat. He relocated his fuel tank to the outside and it now sits over the left track at the rear of the Snow Trac.

The exhaust, as it come from the factory, is front facing and you drive into the exhaust fumes. He ran his exhaust system under the Snow Trac, and to the rear of the machine. Also on the rear of his unit there is no rear bumper, I've seen them both with and without so I don't know what is historically correct.

I'm hoping that he will be doing some posting, but to learn more about this Snow Trac, you may want to check this out:

Mountain Home Lodge
Voted "The West's Best Setting"...Sunset Magazine
"The Hideaway In The Cascades"...NY Times
800-414-2378
www.mthome.com

Attachments

• 1Snowcat Little Red 1.jpg
    1Snowcat Little Red 1.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 910
  • 1Snowcat Little Red 3.jpg
    1Snowcat Little Red 3.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 909
  • 1Snowcat Little Red 4.jpg
    1Snowcat Little Red 4.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 904

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Re: schmidt's Snow Trac at Mountain Home Lodge

schmidt, I've noticed a couple other things and wonder if you can enlighten me about them.

The roof of your unit looks to have either a box on top or perhaps it was raised a few inches? What is the handle for that is located on the drivers side in the center of the side of the raised area?

I noticed your windshield wipers are at the top of your windows, mine are on the bottom and basically worthless. I also noticed the fan you have pointed at the windshield, does that help with fogging?

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter

B_Skurka said:
schmidt, I've noticed a couple other things and wonder if you can enlighten me about them.

The roof of your unit looks to have either a box on top or perhaps it was raised a few inches? What is the handle for that is located on the drivers side in the center of the side of the raised area?

I noticed your windshield wipers are at the top of your windows, mine are on the bottom and basically worthless. I also noticed the fan you have pointed at the windshield, does that help with fogging?

Looks to me like someone added a pop-up roof.

vbus1i.jpg

TOMLESCOEQUIP

Just Plinkin Away the $$
Bob.......I have a couple NOS wiper motors like the ones in the picture if you want to retrofit yours.

schmidt

Sorry for the slow response. The original top was canvas and was basically trashed by the time I saw it. We made a wood top that can be removed on nice days. I also placed one of those flip up ceiling vents like you see on RV's to help move more air. The windshield wipers have always been on top and do work. The fan does help, but the fan itself is kind of cheep. Its the second one I have gone through from NAPA. I believe this SnowTrac is about a 1965 or 66. Apparently they went to the larger wheel in the front in the early 70's.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

Great looking Snow Trac!!! Beautiful scenery! I sure see why it was voted best of the west.
Welcome aboard Schmidt! Enjoy and post often.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
What do you actually use your Snow-Trac for? Is it for giving tours to your guests or to get the guests up to the lodge? I noticed you don't have any ski carrier or anything like that on the rear so I'm guessing that you don't use it for snow cat ski adventures or similar things.

Also, with the exhaust pipe routed under the Snow-Trac all the way from the front have you had any problems with it getting dented on rocks or uneven ground? Is it stainless steel because I don't even see a hint of rust on the exhaust?

Also, I noticed that your side cargo rails and your headlight brackets/protectors are all silver colored metal. Are those painted silver? Or is that bare metal, and if so, how do you keep it from rusting?

Was it easier to move the fuel tank outside rather than to repair the original tank so it didn't put gas fumes into the cabin? I noticed on all the military Snow Tracs that the fuel tank is mounted in the same place as yours is mounted. I don't know if they ADDED a second tank, or if they MOVED it outboard so they could stow more gear.