• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Diamond Dog Food..........RECALL!!!!!

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have used this product exclusively for years and found out my dog has consumed at least one 40# bag and just opened a new bag of the suspect recall! He shows no signs but I'm waiting patiently on test results of their samples. Beaux's just 14 months old and the replacement of our beloved Jesse (lymphoma), if anything happens to this dog my wife along with me will be crushed. He is turning out so good!

Media Statement
Diamond Pet Food
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
December 20, 2005

Diamond Pet Food has discovered aflatoxin in a product manufactured at our facility in Gaston, South Carolina. Aflatoxin is a naturally occurring toxic chemical by-product from the growth of the fungus Aspergillus flavus, on corn and other crops.

Out of an abundance of caution, we have notified our distributors and recommended they hold the sale of all Diamond Pet Food products formulated with corn that were produced out of our Gaston facility (see complete list below). Please note that products manufactured at our facilities in Meta, Missouri and Lathrop, California are not affected. The Gaston facility date codes are unique from other Diamond facility codes in that either the eleventh or twelfth character in the date code will be a capital “G” (in reference to Gaston). The range of date codes being reviewed are “Best By 01-March-07” through Best By “11-June-07”. Diamond’s quantitative analysis records substantiate that Diamond’s corn shipments were definitively clear of aflatoxin after December 10. As such, “Best By 11-June-07” date codes or later are not affected by this notice.

States serviced by our Gaston facility include Alabama, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky (eastern), Main, Maryland, Massachusetts, Mississippi, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, West Virginia, Vermont, and Virginia.

We are rapidly analyzing retained samples of all products produced in Gaston so we can isolate specific lot numbers impacted and provide this information to our distributors, retailers and customers as quickly as possible.

Meanwhile, if your pet is showing any symptoms of illness, including sluggishness or lethargy combined with a reluctance to eat, yellowish tint to the eyes and/or gums, and severe or bloody diarrhea, please consult your veterinarian immediately.

Product quality and customer satisfaction are important to us. We pledge to keep you updated as new developments occur.

Important Customer Alert

http://www.diamondpet.com/

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Dog-food maker orders recall after reports of deaths

(CNN) -- One of the nation's largest makers of dog food has ordered a recall of some of its products from 22 states after receiving reports they caused deaths and illnesses, a company executive said Thursday.

Diamond Pet Food has sent a letter to its thousands of suppliers saying it has discovered aflatoxin in pet-food products made at its plant in Gaston, S.C., said Mark Brinkmann, the company's chief operating officer. The recall covers 14 kinds of dog food and five kinds of cat food.

Brinkmann said it was not clear how many illnesses had resulted, but calls to the 22 state veterinarian's offices yielded a total of 17 deaths and 22 illnesses believed linked to the tainted pet food. (Posted 4:37 p.m.)

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Good luck Greg! Sure hope your pup is not one of the ones infected with this.

I used to use Diamond. Since our newest edition last summer (Bailey, our Great Dane) I switched to Nutro, found out it caused excessive farting, kinda funny, but enough was enough. Now we feed Chicken soup for the dog lovers soul. It's a quality food and so far so good. It's very hard to find though. The only place that carries it is 45 minutes from my house.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks Doc, he appears to be fine and shows no signs or symptoms. I do find myself watching him alot more though! I have looked at his eyes and gums to the point I get that not this again look.........! He goes to the vet Tuesday and I'm sure to mention it to him.

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
When you go to the Diamond Web Site, they give the exact particulars of the products effected and the bag markings. If you have put the product into another container and no longer have the bag, but the product is one of those branded products that is effected, and you live in one of the distribution states mentioned, then DO NOT CONTINUE TO USE THE FOOD. Save a small sample in a plastic bag and keep that in the freezer. Go to your local supplier and buy a new bag and submit a claim for reimbursement to the company for the replacement bag. They would rather replace the food than have you feeding a questionable product. The product is contaminated and the effects are cumulative, so you might not see any problems now, but keep close eye on the animal.
Junk.....

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Beaux had blood work done today. Results showed no irregular liver function, so far so good. Vet wants to wait the 7 - 12 days Diamond recommends before giving his yearly innoculations. We're hoping no signs appear before going back the 6th for his shots. Wish us luck!

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
So far so good Greg. Hopefully no signs show up before the 6th.
Good luck!!!!!!

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Great to hear Greg!!

Let's keep our fingers crossed that everything stays in the OK area.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
bczoom said:
Great to hear Greg!!

Let's keep our fingers crossed that everything stays in the OK area.

Thanks Brian..........He ain't lost any energy, same dog so far!

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
Take him to the veternarian and have them do the liver function test on him. It is a lot easier to cure a problem when caught early than later on. It isn't very expensive and I believe that Diamond will pick up the cost. DO IT NOW!!! Junk.....

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Junkman said:
Take him to the veternarian and have them do the liver function test on him. It is a lot easier to cure a problem when caught early than later on. It isn't very expensive and I believe that Diamond will pick up the cost. DO IT NOW!!! Junk.....

Already did Junk, see one of my earlier post and thanks for your concern. Precautionary is the dates extended from the suspected dates and his was one of the earliest dates. I'm hoping this is a good sign.

BTW..........There is no cure only treatment for extension of function!
I also have considered presenting them with the bill, I kept the receipt for just that. I was waiting to hear how this pans out. I have seen no indication that they will pay the bill but lets see! I visit their site often and will be sure to keep the forum informed............

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Vet called today, she said she talked to a vet from Diamond. Found out that if the bag Beaux ate from was poisoned he would be dead by now! They're estimate is 2% of the food recalled is bad. Looks like the food marked "good by" somewhere in the months of April and May are the culprit. We had March and July............whew! Still on the watch though!

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well folks, Beaux went to the vet again yesterday and he's definitely OK!
14 months, 96 lbs, got his shots and a new baby! I hope the best for all users of Diamond............:thumb:

Attachments

• 100_0722.jpg
    100_0722.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 151

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Glad to hear Big Dog. I've never heard of Diamond Dog Food. I'm glad I haven't now. I know things can happen, but it sure doesn't help when it concerns you. That's some scary stuff.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Dargo said:
Glad to hear Big Dog. I've never heard of Diamond Dog Food. I'm glad I haven't now.

Diamond is very popular in the retriever field trail dog community. Their "Professional" brand (31% protein), which I've used for years, is for active/working dogs.

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
Glad to hear that everything is OK with you pet. Good looking dog....

Diamond is a manufacturer of many different brands of pet foods, and has a great reputation in the pet industry for quality and also being a good company to work with. The corn in one product had developed a mold on it while growing in the field, and it wasn't caught by the sampling that was done by the supplier of the raw corn product. It got mixed into one lot and that lot was contaminated. They did a instant recall and worked as best as possible to get all contaminated product off the shelves. It was a one time event, and I will continue to use and recommend their products in the future.
Junk......

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Congrats Greg! I know that's a load gotta be a off your mind. 96lbs at just over one year! She a big girl! Nice looking to. Our daughter got us a red flashing little light that goes on our Great Danes collar. She's dark grey and you cannot see her outside at night or in a dark room. I'm surprised how well it works out. It's motion activated so that it's not on all the time. We really like it Thought one might be useful to you since she is pitch black.