• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Spikes ticks

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
Spike is the only dog I've had that gets ticks. Not sure if he got them upnorth with me, or when we run him down here in a somewhat swampy area.
How do you prevent this? Do those collars work? Or is it better to use powder, and which is best, or should I say less dangerous?
What's the best way to remove them? I've heard not to pick them off, using fingernail polish, etc.?
How long does it take for them to swell up?
:tiphat::beer::beer:

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
A product called "Front Line" or one of the similar products. You put some of this liquid between the shoulder blades of your pet and it soaks into the animal's skin and repels/kills ticks.

Cowboyjg

Country Club Member
Site Supporter
Johnday.....I've read alot about this and there are a whole host of options for dealing with them. From natural to chemical based products and so on. I use a combination of Frontline plus and advantix for Ginger and Jackson. Advantix's tick formula is a little better than frontlines and consequently Frontline has a better flea formula. I use advantix April/ May an Sept/ Oct and Frontline the rest of the time. My Vet and I had a long discussion about this. I also went here for info.

Good luck. At least in NE Tennessee, it's supposed to be bad this year.

HGM

Av8r3400 said:
A product called "Front Line" or one of the similar products. You put some of this liquid between the shoulder blades of your pet and it soaks into the animal's skin and repels/kills ticks.

I'll second the Frontline, it works great, very quick and lasts a while you can get it at Petsmart(or other pet stores)..

I have also tried the Hartz(?) product available at Walmart or other regular stores.. Its a little cheaper and works prety well.. Advantix is another good product, but they say not to use it if your dog is arround cats, apparently it will kill them:thumb: ..Also, check out the Scott's website. Some of their fertilizer has pest controls in them.. I believe its Summergaurd, but you may want to do your yard as well because if their in the yard, they'll get you too.. They arent always the big ugly ones.. Some are actually about the size of a pin head and difficult to find..

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Living in Canada most of my life I had never seen a tick. Moved to Florida - tick-o-rama! I even managed to get a few that crawled up my legs into my nether regions - not fun!

I used to spray my dogs with Off Skintastic before we went on our hikes in the woods. It worked pretty well for keeping the ticks and chiggers off of me and the dogs. You do have to wash the dog afterwards so they don't ingest the DEET when they clean themselves. But I lived on a lake so some fetch in the water and some shampoo and they were good to go.

I use this product to remove the ticks - it works great!
http://www.tickedoff.com/

All the things like Frontline and Advantix are great for killing Ticks if they do get on your pet. I would find little dead ticks on the floor from time to time.

I use Hartz Flea & Tick Drops Plus+ because they actually contain insect repellants that keep the bugs away. I only use it in the summer time now because the bug situation in the NW is not that bad. If I go deep woods with the dogs then they get it.

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
PBinWA said:
..........I use Hartz Flea & Tick Drops Plus+ because they actually contain insect repellants that keep the bugs away. I only use it in the summer time now because the bug situation in the NW is not that bad. If I go deep woods with the dogs then they get it.

I have heard too many horror stories first hand about Hartz Mountain Flea & Tick products to use them on any dog that I love. Their products may be better than a few years ago, but back then, they had there head in the sand while dogs were dying as a result of liver failure because of bad product. I would never gamble my dogs life with there products... Junk.

HGM

Junkman said:
I have heard too many horror stories first hand about Hartz Mountain Flea & Tick products to use them on any dog that I love. Their products may be better than a few years ago, but back then, they had there head in the sand while dogs were dying as a result of liver failure because of bad product. I would never gamble my dogs life with there products... Junk.

Interesting, never heard that, but something to keep in mind...

Something else I forgot, as far as keeping them off myself, I also learned a neat trick(I guess) a couple of years ago.. A man I know told me of how he'd been sprinkling "7" dust on his boots and lower pant legs for years... I tried it and it works for ticks and chiggers.. Now, to add a disclaimer... I dont know if it can cause any ill effects, but it does work... Personally, I try to limit skin exposure..

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Junkman said:

Everything's a gamble. I wouldn't use strong chemicals if I had a small dog. Logic and common sense dictate that bigger dogs are just more durable than some of the smaller dogs. I've got big dogs.

I used the Hartz stuff heavily for several years without any problems. I don't use it that much lately because I am not in the woods as much as I used to be. I'm also careful about the application and try to make sure that it is properly applied at the base of their fur so it can work it'self in underneath the external layer of the fur.

I love my dogs enough to know I don't want them getting some strange disease from Ticks.

It's all a matter of perspective. You are welcome to yours.

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
Think I'm going to use some frontline, and get a tickedoff tool. I don't know what's changed in my two areas, as I said earlier, this is first time I've ever seen a tick on any of my dogs or cats. Gotta have something to do with Global Warming and the Bush admin.:yum::tiphat::beer:

BoneheadNW

PBinWA said:
I even managed to get a few that crawled up my legs into my nether regions - not fun!
Whoa! That is WAY too much detail!

Back in the happier days when my dog Fuzz was alive, I would marvel at watching the fleas fall off of him after I applied the Frontline. Never had a flea or tick after that.
Bonehead

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
PBinWA said:
Everything's a gamble. I wouldn't use strong chemicals if I had a small dog. Logic and common sense dictate that bigger dogs are just more durable than some of the smaller dogs. I've got big dogs.

I used the Hartz stuff heavily for several years without any problems. I don't use it that much lately because I am not in the woods as much as I used to be. I'm also careful about the application and try to make sure that it is properly applied at the base of their fur so it can work it'self in underneath the external layer of the fur.

I love my dogs enough to know I don't want them getting some strange disease from Ticks.

It's all a matter of perspective. You are welcome to yours.

You are free to do as you please. I only wanted to inform all pet owners as to what I have learned being in the pet business for over 35 years. We have sold and continue to sell a lot of items that are supplied by the Hartz Group, but there flea and tick products are not included. Here are some references for you to read and decide for yourself. Consider yourself lucky, because my neighbor lost his 80 pound German Shepard dog to the Hartz Flea & Tick products. Size has nothing to do with toxicity... Junk....

referance 1

referance 2

referance 3..... from the EPA itself. Even though they required remedial action by Hartz in 2002, the problems continue...... Now, do you still want to take the chance with your pets life???? I wouldn't!!! Frontline, Frontline Plus, Advantix, & Advantage are all much safer products. They might cost more, but what price do you put on your animals well being?