• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

early tucker photos

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
and first Tucker Sno-cat on Mt Bachelor

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_18c.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_18c.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 449

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
just think what could have been,

patented in 1945, and they built a working machine,

wow, how many years ahead they were in the world of snow mobiles....

if they had ?

Attachments

• tkr081.jpg
    tkr081.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 406
  • early tucker140.jpg
    early tucker140.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 416
  • early tucker021.jpg
    early tucker021.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 409
  • US2378111-0.jpg
    US2378111-0.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 410
Last edited:

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
Welll maybe !! but Eliason was allready building the motor toboggan and using the better Indian sport scout engine !!!:smile::smile:

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
yes, mr Loggah,

you are very much correct, patented in 1927, (almost 20 years before the tucker got their patent), Elliason motor toboggan has a very interesting history, and looks like quite a few examples are still around and used.
sure looks like tucker has inspired by the Elliason.

I have found the book "as the snow flies" is a great resource of knowledge, when you do not have a Loggah as a next door neighbor, for info about early machines.
everyone should have a copy.

Attachments

• carl1.jpg
    carl1.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 400
Last edited:

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
Its interesting that the last makers of the elliason motor tobogan was the FWD motor truck co. of Clinton Iowa. There are quite a few elliason machines here in the northeast. I always liked Indian compared to Harley.:clap:I have a copy of that as the snow flies also,I was pretty dissapointed in the Lombard section,lots of errors.

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
Its interesting that the last makers of the elliason motor tobogan was the FWD motor truck co. of Clinton Iowa. There are quite a few elliason machines here in the northeast. I always liked Indian compared to Harley.:clap:I have a copy of that as the snow flies also,I was pretty dissapointed in the Lombard section,lots of errors.

again, mr loggah, you are correct,

the book 'As the snow flies' does have errors, and could have more detailed info, at least is a resource of info and is some 750 pages long, much better to have it, than not, and for us west coast folks, we had so little in the way of early over the snow machine manufactures when compared to the east coast, amazing daring over the snow folks and does tell the early years of snow travel.

also should add that you are a wealth of knowledge thank you

Last edited:

undy

Thanks a bunch for the picture of the Elliason model.

Coincidentally, I've got a 1927 Indian motorcycle in my shop right now. It's got the same right-hand drive and a very similar looking case. I'm really looking forward to getting it moving again. Any chance you've got a close-up of the magneto?

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
My nephew has a mag on his indian 101 scout, im thinking its an eiseman ,maybe splitdorf but cant remember for sure ,i used to run a joe hunt on my 51 chief.

undy

Loggah,

Not to derail this thread too far, but...

The reason I ask about the mag is that the bike was crashed a long time ago, and then parked. The owner gave it to his son-in-law, who owns it now. He decided to fix it, but discovered the mag was bad. He found someone in California who rebuilds 'em, had it delivered and then drove out to pick it up, since you can't replace it apparently.

Now, one plug lead from the mag doesn't clear the frame. It's been through two different shops who couldn't figure it out. I suspect that the rebuilder may have replaced the original plug leads with others that are different. It could also be that the frame is tweaked from the crash. But before I go modifying anything, I want to verify how it's supposed to be.

I'd be very grateful for any pictures or info.

undy

SURE DOES!!! Thanks a million. Looks like I was right, and that the new plug leads exit the mag from a different location.

Next, the question is what to do about it. Moving the engine isn't an option. Pushing the frame out to clear the mag is a possibility, and one that I wouldn't even consider on something this old (plus some airplane & bike collector has suggested the bike may be worth absolutely sick money as-is). But it's already tweaked in a few spots from the crash, so maybe form must follow function since the plan is to make it drivable again.

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
1947 tucker sno-cat, model 423, powered by mercury flathead V-8, 4 speed transmission, total production for Tucker in '47 was 3 machines, that was the year that the company moved to Medford, Oregon.

Attachments

• DSC_0371.jpg
    DSC_0371.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 317

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
found this on eBay, late model steel pontoon 542, well used machine from the Squaw Valley Ski area, the host of the 1960 Winter Olympics, this photos looks to be from the 70's and it is a very well used machine, look at the mismatched steel and plastic pontoons, and the dual exhaust pipes tell me that there is a V-8 under the hood.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 251

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
fabulous, yes, please post photos and any history you have, great you have the tucker

do you know the guy that has the 1959 443 sedan from the 1960 Winter Olympics?

j farm

GOLD Site Supporter
It’s a 1971 542 has the 318 with 5 speed sold new to heavenly valley ski resort. I would post more pictures but I have trouble posting them from my I phone if anyone has any tips on posting from there phone please help.

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
It’s a 1971 542 has the 318 with 5 speed sold new to heavenly valley ski resort. I would post more pictures but I have trouble posting them from my I phone if anyone has any tips on posting from there phone please help.

KEWL,

I also have a Heavenly Valley ski resort tucker sno-cat, 1969, model 442

Last edited:

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I would post more pictures but I have trouble posting them from my I phone if anyone has any tips on posting from there phone please help.

I email from iPhone to my comeputor, then move to pictures then I can attach to foreum. I am sure there is a much better way but then you got to cut slack for grey hair. (Comes from laying under cats in the sno)

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Tucker must have fired the guy who designs grills during those '65-70's machines. Expanded wire mesh, seriously? But then I have seen '69's with the cast aluminum horizontal slot grills.

"Make no two the same, no snow to deep."

j farm

GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks for straight out the picture my computer died years ago and have been operating from the iPhone ever since. The mesh grill on the 71 kind of matches the expanded metal sides on my Tucker trailer though.