• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Solar Eclipse

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks to Franc, I was well prepared for the event; the glasses he gave away met (or exceeded) every standard! Thanks again Franc! :clap:

However ... heavy cloud cover and rain. :sad: It looked good on TV though.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks to Franc, I was well prepared for the event; the glasses he gave away met (or exceeded) every standard! Thanks again Franc! :clap:

We had good weather for the event. Hot Humid but tolerable. I shut the plant down at 12:15 as the event stated. Burgers and brats served at 12:45 just before the climax which happens in the middle of the show. Some were confused by this.

High cirrus clouds gave us a scare, and just as the event started some colulimbus and rain clouds got in the way as well.. However at about 90% eclipse, both cleared and we got the full show.

Amazing.

What I did not expect was the pure WHITE light that came for about two minutes after the Totality was over. WOW! I see why the Navajo consider the event as purifying, life changing and a new beginning.

After the high point, everyone was sitting with full stomachs in the lounger chairs, and wearing our Eclipse glasses from APO, milking to the end the anti climatic second half of the show.

I heard that $1.64 billion us dollars will be lost in productivity by American businesses during the event. WORTH EVERY PENNY!!!

It was over at 2:00 PM here. Back to the same old grind.
rolleye0011.gif

Save your glasses for 2024 as it repeats thru Texas, Arkansas, Illinois, Michigan and Canada.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Here's my view of the solar eclipse. Didn't notice it in full eclipse though.
999ebfe6d0aa6eafcfcb6bc14972d7f2.jpg
0e85fb2bd92a9abc6fbeaa9815942768.jpg
b1d5ea5685a212fa53d56f1db8f8ebd4.jpg
3e37fb4323d860732b89afc837a3e251.jpg

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Well I took a meh attitude about the whole thing leading up to day, but this afternoon I have to say curiosity got the best of me. I found some #14 welding glasses and outside I went.

Well, let me tell you what I saw was nothing short of phenomenal. All I can say is WOW. I know we were only supposed to get a partial up here, but what we got was much more then that. Scroll down and see a picture I took of the whole thing. You guys will be amazed.

Trump Eclipse.jpg

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
A couple eclipse pics one by NASA, one by a friend of my daughter in law.

Attachments

• EclipseBrandysFriend.jpg
    EclipseBrandysFriend.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 58
  • EclipseNASACamera.PNG
    EclipseNASACamera.PNG
    809.6 KB · Views: 59

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Don't forget to set your clocks back two minutes to make up for the loss of daylight during the eclipse

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter

Same here.
Thunderstorm just before, heavy clouds, sun through heavy clouds.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Don't forget to set your clocks back two minutes to make up for the loss of daylight during the eclipse

2.17 seconds if you were in the Umbra.:yum::yum::yum:

For those who were not,,,; Pictures do not do the event justice.

I never thought the TV renditions of the "diamond ring" were all that big a deal. Then I saw it for the first time in my 70 year life.
WOW!!!
There aren't enough "Z's" in the word AMAZZZZZZZZZZZZING to do it justice.
Absolutely inspiring.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
my naval mk36 periscope is what I used .it has several filters in it. the total dark one was kind of border line so I put a welding lens on the eyepiece . a block under one tripod leg tilted it higher for the last half.
jim
DSC01527.jpg

leadarrows

Used the glasses you sent me and gave the extras away to family and friends. Everyone thanks you very much. You made 5 peoples day. Including a 93 year old Marine (my dad) It was a little over cast here but with the glasses on you could still see the eclipse clearly which surprised me some. Thank you.