Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN

Go Back   Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN > Off Topic Forums > Pets & Livestock Forum

Pets & Livestock Forum Pets, Livestock and other animals

Old 10-13-2016, 10:14 AM
Platinum Member

Thanked 5,141 Times in 2,373 Posts
pirate_girl is on a distinguished road
Default Muneca: A Very Special Dachshund

When a dog is surrendered at an animal shelter, there's always a deep sense of disconnection.

No longer someone's pet. Unplugged from everything she thought she knew in life.

Maybe that's why Muneca was so eager to make a connection when she arrived at the Baldwin Park Animal Care Center in Los Angeles. Especially since the 18-year-old dachshund had already lost more than most not just a home and an owner, but also her vision.

When longtime volunteer Elaine Seamans paid Muneca a visit on Tuesday, the blind, flea-infested dog leapt into her arms and never wanted to let go.

But Muneca found two friends in that moment. John Hwang had stopped at the shelter with his camera. He was on his way to take pictures for a photography project involving LA's Skid Row.

Seamans had asked him if he would like to take pictures of another kind of homelessness. The kind that leaves unwanted pets in a bustling shelter.

"When I got to the shelter, Elaine was already holding the dog," Hwang tells The Dodo. "The dog was clinging on to her."

"Elaine is so amazing with the dogs," he adds. "She'll roll on the ground with the shelter dogs. She'll kiss them. She really has a special chemistry with them. I love capturing that."

It wouldn't be the first time a shelter volunteer shared an intimate moment with a lost, disoriented new arrival. In fact, these candid scenes play out in shelters every day, where compassion rises to meet the tide of incoming animals.

But this time, someone managed to capture just one of those moments.

----------
She is at Frosted Faces Foundation and they are reviewing all the applications that came in for her. She is being nurtured and loved until she is placed. Please go to their page for more info.

https://www.thedodo.com/blind-dog-sh...042248974.html

https://www.facebook.com/ilovedachshunds/?fref=photo
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pirate_girl For This Useful Post:
EastTexFrank (10-13-2016), jim slagle  (10-13-2016), MrLiberty (10-13-2016)
Old 10-13-2016, 10:31 AM
Ford4Thought

Thanked 4,792 Times in 2,101 Posts
TiredRetired has a spectacular aura aboutTiredRetired has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Muneca: A Very Special Dachshund

I have a soft spot, big time, for animals. That one, is adorable.
MrLiberty (10-13-2016), pirate_girl (10-13-2016)
Old 10-13-2016, 11:49 AM
Gold Member

Thanked 1,728 Times in 938 Posts
EastTexFrank will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Muneca: A Very Special Dachshund

That story hits pretty close to home.

MY S-I-L is chairman and chief volunteer at APET (Animal Protection of East Texas), a rescue and adoption organization. She seems to end up with all the unadoptable dogs at the farm, the old, the sick and the crippled. Right now she has Mike, her 16-year old outside dog. She also has Jack (One Eyed Jack) who lost an eye as a puppy and is now blind in the other eye. He's waiting for an appointment for cataract surgery. Then there is Charley the KC Spaniel, who was found living in box. She brought him home to clean him up and get all his shots before being put up for adoption. He never left the farm. She just can't help herself. She fell in love with our labradoodle and just got a goldendoodle puppy that is the sweetest thing that you have ever seen.

You can see why both our dogs are rescues but I drew the line at 2.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne as JB Books in "The Shootist".
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EastTexFrank For This Useful Post:
MrLiberty (10-13-2016), pirate_girl (10-14-2016)