• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Kristi-track rebuild

rogerscamp

I originally posted this over on the restoration forum but it may be more appropriate here.

At the risk of incurring the scorn and ridicule of BigAl's detractors I recently purchased a Kristi kt3. #107. It runs fine-has a few oil leaks-but needs to have the tracks rebuilt. Seems like Capitol Rubber is closest to us [Central Ca.] . I need specs. for the belt. Is 3-ply the best thickness ?Going back with the 4 belt system. How wide should the belt be and what spacing between the belts. Approx. how long is each belt ?? I'am inclined to go back with wood cleats-hickory or ash-what is the correct dimension for the long and short one?? Also this has the optional Porsche motor. It has a Rodchester 2-barrel carb on it. Wasn't this engine supposed to have a Zenith ndix ?? I sent an email the Registry but recieved no response. Are they still active. Thanks for any help.. Beck
progress.gif

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
First off ! Welcome !!!:biggrin::clap: I purchased my belting at Capitol Rubber . it is a 3 ply . I'll have to check the width and length for you . Ran about $1000 for both sides .

Why are you going back with Hickory ? Is keeping it all stock and original what you want ? I am quite happy with the HDPE cleats I made . Cost was about $400. I have the cleat measurements too and will send them .

I just walked through the door and have been helping my friend with his KT3 today . We got it started and checked everything out . It needs a few things but seems to run really well . I think he will reinstall the old tracks next week and take it for a spin .

So give me a chance to catch my breath and i''l get all the information together that you need . We also have manuals on the KT3 for free .
Allen

snowbird

How fortunate to have Big Al in the forum to help with your project!:clap: He absorbs lots of good-natured teasing (and even abuse) from other forum members, but I bet he'll be a helpful resource for you.

rogerscamp

Thanks for having this great forum and offering advice. We bought a m29 weasel over a year ago which is a major project. Had been looking for a Snow Trac when ran into this Kristi. The more I see and read the more I like it' Much easier to get on the road so to speak. I have been repairing VW's and Porsches since way back in the mid 60's so this was a perfect fit. Also one of my partners is building a trac system for his Jeep Wagoneer. Quite a project. Look forward to your posts.. Beck

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
OK ... Here is my information on my tracks . You should check your track system to compare . Cleats are 12 inches and 20 inches . Belting is 3 ply 3/8 inch thick . widths are 5" and 6" . Two belts of each size per side . Don't forget about the spacing between belts . The original Kristis came with the outer and inner belts floppy . This was done , according to the factory for better control and balance . I did not go back to this design when I replaced my belts . The cleat spacing on my KT3 is about 5 13/16" Center to Center on cleats . I do not remember the total length of belting but it is somewhere near 24 feet .
I hope this helps . Capitol Rubber will also have the hole punch you need to make the holes in the belting .
Good Luck ,
Allen

PS : I have a pretty complete track rebuild on my KT7 in the restoration thread I did . It may help , but again check your own tracks to be sure it is correct . Actual spacing on cleats needs to be done by checking the pitch at the spockett. Rubber belts strecth over time .

BA

rogerscamp

Thanks for the reply. We are considering using the HDPE but haven't decided yet. Also looking for an original top as ours has been removed and replaced with a homebuilt one. One other question. Is the registry still functioning ?? I tried to register and they said they weren't taking any new registrants.. Beck

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Thanks for the reply. We are considering using the HDPE but haven't decided yet. Also looking for an original top as ours has been removed and replaced with a homebuilt one. One other question. Is the registry still functioning ?? I tried to register and they said they weren't taking any new registrants.. Beck

I don't know nothing about the site not working . I actually registered another KT3 a few weeks ago .

And original top may be a bit tough to find . I do not know of any KT3 that are being parted out . I would think you could build a pretty cool top that would work much better than the original .
Allen

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
I am in Elk City . About 40 miles north in a straight line as a crow flies but a 3 1/2 hour drive up the road from where you will be in McCall

becksforeigncar

Don't know if we will make that far North. In Boise tonight. Heading up hwy55 tomorrow. Any small ski resorts or back country skiing up there ?? Beck

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
bob cat told me of another one he found in the same area as leadvillerpm found his snow trac maybe he will have some parts. i have never seen a kristi i alaska if he finds it it will likely be the only one ever to come north.

rogerscamp

Its stopped snowing so we got serious and disassembled the old tracs. About 15 of the grousers were broken so we welded them up. The old belts measure 4 7/8 wide so we are going to order 5 inches for all the belts. I thought I had read that BigAl used 2 ply 3/8 inch belting for his tracs. Shouldn't we use 3 ply ?? I like the HDPE plastic cleats he used but we are still trying to decide if we want to keep it original and use wood. Looks like we will need some bushings as the wheels have alot of negative camber / \ .. Can they be purchased or will we have to machine them ?? Also there is some wear on the drive side of the rubber sprocket. Looks like you can flip them ?? Sorry we missed you Allen when we were up in McCall.. Beck