• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

What size press do I need to bend 1/2" flat bar?

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I need to bend some 1/2 (not super precise) inch thick by 3" -4" wide flat bar. I'm assuming a shop press is what I need but I don't know how big of a shop press I need to do it. 12 Ton , 20 Ton, 30 Ton, more/less?

Any advice? What's a good small home workshop sized press that will tackle something this size assuming that this would be the thickest stuff I would ever need to bend.

Thanks,

PB

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
No idea on what size press would do the job, but a vise and a torch should do the trick. I had to bent some solid 3/4" round steel and that is the method I used. Heat it up till it's red and then you can bend it fairly easily.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
I need to bend some 1/2 (not super precise) inch thick by 3" -4" wide flat bar. I'm assuming a shop press is what I need but I don't know how big of a shop press I need to do it. 12 Ton , 20 Ton, 30 Ton, more/less?

Any advice? What's a good small home workshop sized press that will tackle something this size assuming that this would be the thickest stuff I would ever need to bend.

Thanks,

PB

What material? Aluminum? Stainless Steel? Mild Steel? Titanium? Unobtanium?

I will assume mild steel. 1/2" thick by 3" or 4" wide is pretty heavy duty and will definitely be at the high end of the tonnage availability for a home shop. How many pieces? Just a handful for a small project, or are you starting production work? I see the following options:

1. Oxy-Acetylene torch and a BFH with the material mounted in a vice or jig.
  2. Don't bend at all, cut and weld.
  3. Keep looking for a large press.
  4. Contract the fabrication.
I think option 1 is best if you have only a few parts to make. Option 2 is best if you have a large number of parts to make but still want to do it yourself. Option 4 is best if you need to make a large number of parts, in a short time, plus need to have the accountability that they are done right (provide an accurate and detailed drawing, and they need to make them within the tolerance spec.)

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Thanks Dave,

I use the torch and the BFH. I was hoping a 20 ton press would be big enough but perhaps not. What I need to bend right now is about 2 feet long x 3" wide 1/2" mild steel. I need to bend some slight 15 degree angles at around 8" in from the ends.

I'll just torch it bend it. I've got those tools.

Thanks,

PB

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
What I need to bend right now is about 2 feet long x 3" wide 1/2" mild steel. I need to bend some slight 15 degree angles at around 8" in from the ends.
If it was longer and you needed to bend in the middle, a little heat, some bracing and a log splitter probably could have done a nice job.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Thanks BC, I don't have a log splitter and a shop press is cheaper than a log splitter (AFAIK).