• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

On/Off Road tire recommendations?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
My Touareg is running Dunlop Gran Trek tires and I have been pretty happy with them but had a very bad experience this weekend when they ripped through my grass, got totally packed up with clay and got me stuck in my own lawn :mad:

I've got about 21,000 miles on them now, and most people at the VW forums report that they seem to only last for about 30K miles. So while I'm not goint to change them out now, I am going to start a search for a new, better set of tires. On several of my Jeeps and my Mountaineer I've been happy with Dunlop Radial Rovers, but the Dunlop Gran Trek is supposed to be an improved version of the Radial Rover so going to the Radial Rover would be a step down. The Gran Trek is a very good tire for on roan use, it is quiet and it performs very well on road in wet, dry and modest snow conditions. But it obviously is lacking in mud.

I will be looking for a quiet but still capable On/Off Road light truck tire. Must be better in the mud than a set of Gran Treks?

Anyone familiar with Nokian WR or Perelli Scorpion ATR tires? :confused2:

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
The Scorpions do not get very much praise over at f150online.com, they do not have much tread when you consider they are marketed as an AT tire.

Personally, I am looking at putting BFG T/A KO on the new truck to replace the crappy OEM tires (26K miles).

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I've had Dunlop Radial Rovers on my F250 SD and they are good tires. A little unexciting in the tread department. You'll still get stuck with them. They will last longer than most tires though (which is why I bought them).

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I found this chart at Tirerack.com.

Any thoughts on any of these brands that might differ from the chart?

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    157.8 KB · Views: 142

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Bob,

I don't know if a different tire would have helped you yesterday. Clay is clay and will clog any tire.

What size tires are on your Touareg? If I recall, it has some funky size that many manufacturers don't make.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Brian, the tire size is 255HR/60 17"

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
In that size, I think you're going to be pretty limited in mfgrs/models.

This site might help. http://www.tiresavings.com/

They seem to carry most mfgrs and such. When I plugged in your tire size, a limited number of results was returned.

cj7

I would vote for the BFG Ko's or Cooper STT's

both are AT tires but have a heavy shoulder lug that when you spin them does clean pretty well.

Like bczoom has said in the clay most any tire will fill up. About the only exception would be a set of Interco Boggers but they would not have that size.... but they would make that VW look mean!

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
cj7 said:
I would vote for the BFG Ko's or Cooper STT's
Do they make them in the size Bob needs?
I checked a couple sites and can't find either in that size. :confused:

DAP

Bob .. I am on my 3rd pair of BF Goodrich A/T TKO tires. I am impressed with them.

They are not radials however. And I think that most good on/off road tires (non radials) will be borderline TOO aggressive on a Touareg, in my opinion. I currently am using these tires on a 4x4 pickup. I have seen the BF Goodriches A/Ts on big Fords and HUMMERS (H1 and H2) (in fact, these are the OEM tires on the Hummers and some Jeeps).

I consider the Touareg to be more of a crossover SUV and would therefore want a radial tire on it to take advantage of the all of the on-road characterisitics built into the vehicle's design.

I would stay away from Goodyear Wrangler HR series as their compound is far to soft for most light trucks. Those will ride great for about 18k then get noisy, bald and/or flat. I had these on my Land Rover and only got 24k out of em. Drive systems can also make a BIG difference on tire selection. Full time 4WD, AWD, Part Time .. will all wear differently and affect the cost of ownership for the tire ...

I will say this .. the BFG figures for reported reviews on that chart you posted dwarf all of the other entries at over 50 million miles reported. The next closest is the one tire I'd consider putting on the VW, the Bridgestone Dueler ... as it is an excellent tire but not as aggressive as the BFG A/T TKO series .....

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I've got the stock 17" 255/60/17 Dunlop Gran Treks.

Can I replace them with the Nitto Dune Grappler in LT285/70R17 size?

Probably not the best snow tire out there but the way this winter is going that is not really an issue.

img_dune_1.jpg

img_dune_3.jpg
The Dune Grappler satisfies the enthusiast who wants an aggressive tread for off road capabilities, while providing a more comfortable and quieter ride on the road. By utilizing advanced computer simulation technology, the Dune Grappler's tread block arrangement reduces high levels of noise commonly associated with aggressive tires, while still providing a traction-oriented tread for off road use.

The Dune Grappler Desert Terrain tire is offered in higher load range ratings of ‘D’ and ‘E' in certain sizes. These higher load ratings make the Nitto Dune Grappler Desert Terrain capable for use with heavyweight trucks, such as Ford Super Duty and GM Heavy Duty, as well as other large and mid-sized trucks on the road today. "LT" sizes will be available with a 3-ply sidewall construction for increased puncture resistance.

buckle97

SUPER Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
I've got the stock 17" 255/60/17 Dunlop Gran Treks.

Can I replace them with the Nitto Dune Grappler in LT285/70R17 size?
This is the approximate equivalent of going from a 29" tire to a 33" tire. This extreme change would require a lift kit on almost any stock vehicle and I'm sure your Touareg is no exception.

DAP

buckle97 said:
This is the approximate equivalent of going from a 29" tire to a 33" tire. This extreme change would require a lift kit on almost any stock vehicle and I'm sure your Touareg is no exception.

Additionally, you're speedo would mostly likely need to be recalibrated too.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
BF Goodrich ATs or if you want a more aggressive tire but still has excellent road manners try the MTs. I ran BFG ATs and the MTs and preffer the MTs for there better off road traction in muddy conditions. They also wear like iron! 60K plus.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well I just put some Goodyear Triple Tread tires on my Touareg. I've obviously only driven them on wet and dry pavement, and wet and dry grass, so far, but I like them. They are great on both wet & dry pavement. The little that I have driven them on the grass has been limted to my property and I didn't ask too much of them, so the test was barely a test. Yet to be determined how they will handle snow.