• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

What do you use for dry, split skin on your hands?

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Each winter I fight having my fingers and thumbs bleeding from being not only cut up and banged up, but from the skin drying out to the point it literally splits open and bleeds. I work outside and also on all sorts of vehicles in my barn. I constantly have to use tough cleaners on them to get all the grease and grime off them. I've used "Udder Balm", Cornhuskers lotion, all sorts of hand lotion, and even Vaseline. Still, my hands are sore, rough, thick with calluses, and split open. It actually seems to be far worse where I have thick calluses. You'd think that would be the tougher part, but it's not against splitting open. And, yes, I do try to use gloves most of the time. I wear out several pair each month. Any good ole home remedies, suggestions?

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I put lotion inside my gloves. That way they moisturize while they protect.

My wife's a lotion junkie so there's always hand lotion around. I just put it on after washing my hands.

You can use Vaseline or some other grease type stuff. Your doctor might tell you to put grease on your hands and wear gloves to bed at night.

working woman

Site Supporter
My late husband had the same problem. He tried all kinds of lotions, creams ect. Other than a presp.He had luck with stuff called Lotil cream. It is hard to find in a store but can be ordered here. (vermont country store)
ordhttp://www.vermontcountrystore.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=7687&itemType=PRODUCT&RS=1&keyword=lotil+creamered at

It really did the trick for him:a1:

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
The other thing I did was to stop using GoJo or those citrus and pumice based hand cleaners. They seem to really suck the oil out of your hands.

I use those yellow kitchen sponges with the rough blue side on them. Those sponges with regular hand soap seem to do a better job of getting stuff off without sucking the oil out of your skin.

working woman

Site Supporter
Okay Dargo today is your lucky day. Here is a product that you can buy at Walgreens in the beauty dept. (close to the cosmetic dept) It is called Aquaphor. It sells for 5.79 for a 1.75 oz tube. It is an oitment
The ingredients are Petrolum, Mineral oil, and Lanolin.
It is designed for dry, cracked or irrated skin.

I just found out about it from Prevention magazine, so it comes highly recommend.

FYI- this is also good to put on your nose if it becomes raw from blowing from the good ol common cold

Hope this helps

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks, I don't know how I would have missed that in the cosmetics department! I'll try it. Right now I have 4 fingers bandaged up and a good coating of antibiotic ointment under them. I split a few more today in the barn. Hopefully it will help. I don't intend to use it on my nose though. Shh, I've never had a cold or the flu. I don't want to start either.

PB, I've definitely used plenty of that Orange hand cleaner. It smells good and seems to clean well, but is pretty brutal in the winter months. :eek:

Dave, actually, I do take a multi vitamin most days.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll likely work my way through each suggestion. I'm pretty cut up with numerous splits at the finger tips right now. My thumbs are brutal looking and painful. Yeah, yeah, I know; baby. But, damn, it hurts!

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Dargo said:
Yeah, yeah, I know; baby.
Pretty much my thought :hide: (just kidding).

Sorry, other than 10w-40, I have no advise... hmmmm, unless I go synthetic?

working woman

Site Supporter
. I don't intend to use it on my nose though. Shh, I've never had a cold or the flu. I don't want to start either.

Apparently I seem to be getting your share since moving back to this freakin state! Which resulted in going to Walgreens today and investing in a tube. (by the way the manger had to find it for me)
But I guess I cant complain, never had to put up with cracked fingers!

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
We've got tons of Aquaphor around here. I'm not sure it's any better than Vaseline. Might be fine for dainty hands but for working hands it isn't that great.

I'd go with alot of grease on the inside of your gloves and stay away from the Orange hand cleaner.

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Hey Dargo this might sound like a joke, but the best cure for dry and splitting fingers is spinning! Hand spin wool straight from the fleece and all that lovely lanalin gets in your hands and you won't get sore fingers and the end result is lots of lovely wool - better than any you can get in the shops - and you can learn to knit and crochet and make garments for yourself and I can quarantee that you will never be cold. The so called 'pure new wool' that you buy in the shops is rubbish compared to the real stuff.

Attachments

• Sweater.JPG1.jpg
    Sweater.JPG1.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 295

Abby

When I was younger I would have that problem. It was my grandmother that taught me to use Vaseline. At bedtime, slather your hands really well with Vaseline and then put socks on your hands. It remoisturizes over night and doesn't cost a lot.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Brent,

If this stuff is strong enough to deal with large cracks, it should be good enough for your cracked fingers :whistle:

Embarrassing butt cleavage?
You try to keep your pants up but they just won’t stay!
Well that won’t ever happen again if you use Crack Spackle!
The amazing new product that makes your crack look just like your back…
Just pack the compound into the crevice, smooth the surface,
blow dry - and you’re ready to go!

Made from space-age polymers and waterproof resins,
Crack Spackle allows you to lead a full & active lifestyle!
Crack Spackle is odourless and comes in a variety of colours to match any ass!
And Crack Spackle is easily removed so no-one has to know your secret...
So throw away those belts because whether you’re on the job or on the run…
If your canyon’s open to yodeling, Crack Spackle’s got your back!
Available in regular and Oprah-size from Meyerson’s –
The first name in butt concealment!

Available in fine stores everywhere...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 274

elsmitro

floppy member
I always suggest that the ladies try some of Dr. Smitty’s crack cream! Dr. Smitty makes a huge assortment of feminine creams, lotions, and sprays, and they are the best $ can buy! And this thread smells like the feminine products isle at a chinese Wal-Mart.
:yum:

Jen's Jeep

Site Supporter
working woman said:
It is hard to find in a store but can be ordered here. (vermont country store)
ordhttp://www.vermontcountrystore.com/

Hey...cool place!! They have the cool old school toys we/I had as a kid. Check out that big wheel...they dont make them like that anymore!

willie

The best thing I have found if bag balm in the green tin isn't cutting it is to go and buy a tube of A & D ointment for diaper rash. It works like no other. Hands are smooth as a baby's butt in a couple days. No cracks (except where they're supposed to be :moon: )

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Dargo,
I never EVER had problems with dry hand until one day about 2 years ago I was cleaning a carburator and used the stuff you put the carb in the tray and dunk it for a few hours. Anway a bolt dropped in so I reached in with a gloved hand and found the bolt. But when I pulled my hand out I discovered the glove had a big hole in it and the glove was full of that chemical. EVER since then that hand dries out and cracks! I use vasoline and rub my hand down at night when it starts to get dry. During the day I avoid all chemical contact with my hands. The chemical actually damaged the cells of my skin someway and they now just dry out in winetr time and or any time its really dry out. Lube up with ANY good lotion as often as possible. To do that have several tubes around the house and shop. Mix up the brands a bit and always use a good antibiotic oitment on the cracks. Good luck.

Last edited:

rico304

My wife is a hair stylist. Hands in and out of water all day! Her hands start to crack and become very painful. She has done many of the above things to help prevent as well. Always wears gloves when in water. When they get painful, I put "Nu Skin" on the crack. Antibiotic, so it will hurt. It seals it up and really does the trick.It creates a layer over the crack that prevents anything from getting into it and making it worse.
It probably makes it so cream won't help anymore either though.:cry:
She has to go back to work that day and can't keep cream on it, so this makes sense.

That is more of a "Boy that crack in my hand hurts!" thing than a cure. Food for thought though.

Vasoline, and try not to wash as much in the winter, and use less or no soap. I try to take less showers in the winter too. I think it happens in the winter because I sweat less, and when we sweat the skin gets oil or something it needs. Get in the habit of washing/cleaning with an oil instead of soap and water.

Cowboyjg

Country Club Member
Site Supporter
I had to separate this post from the other, I was laughing too hard and it just wasn't right.

Bag Balm...there's some other stuff I have for use on cow udders (ok go ahead) it's made here locally and I haven't ever asked the lady what's in it but it works great.

urednecku

Site Supporter
Vaseline is what seems as good as it get for me. I had a great aunt that was a waitress for years..always had trouble with dry hands. She found Vaseline worked best for her.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I use something called Eucerin Aquaphor.
My hands get terrible this time of year with washing them so much and wearing gloves-plus these sub-zero cold temps haven't helped the situation.