• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Daughters back surgery

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Plans changed. Lurie's Childrens Hospital called 60min ago, said bring Melen for surgery now! WTF? We had 3 other calls today, 1 yesterday confirming we are to bring her there TOMORROW. We told them 3 hours because we live so far away. We still have a house full of kids partying. So Mel will be checked in about 8pm tonight. Back Surgery early tomorrow. Should take 6-8 hours, they think about 3 days in intensive care + maybe a week more in a regular room.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
That is crazy. Take her there and hope the doc gets up early and has a good breakfast. Best of luck to her.:flowers:

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
Prayers & best wishes for a successful operation and speedy recovery.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
We've got our fingers crossed for her. That girl hasn't had to look very far to find trouble lately, has she?

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Waiting. And more waiting. Thought they were taking Melen at 6, now revised to 7:15. She is in intensive care room 1911 currently and PROBABLY will come back to this room after surgery. Expect her out of surgery late afternoon if it starts on time.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Best wishes Bob. Melen is in my thoughts and prayers.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
My Thoughts and Prayers are with the family and your daugther.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
MELEN UPDATE FROM THE HOSPITAL:

Not much to report. We talked to a surgical nurse who is inside the operating room a while ago. She reported that everything is going well. Its now just a matter of waiting. We expect the surgery to last until mid-late afternoon.

She may return to her old room, which is an intensive care room on a regular floor. Or, she may be moved to the pediatric intensive care floor. We won't know until after surgery.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
I hope all turns out for the best. I think I can honestly say I know how you are feeling. I recall vividly a nurse coming out to us after about 4 hours and saying that they had the top of my daughter's skull successfully removed and were beginning the 'delicate' part. Each minute of the next 5 hours seemed to be an hour in itself.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well we got some good news a few minutes ago.

The surgical nurse called again to say that Melen is doing well in the surgery. They have begun to insert the rod, pins and screws. There are some bone grafts to be done also. But it was good to hear that she is doing well in the surgery so far and that all is going as planned.

With any luck she'll be out of surgery in about 3 or 4 hours.

I took it as a sign of good fortune that her room number is 1911. Of course having all the Dominican Sisters at the Mother House praying for her probably is helping too.

Leni

I know what you are going through. My daughter was taken into surgery at 7:00 AM and was not out until 4:00. She had a brain tumor which turned out to be cancer.

Kane

All the best!

Man, it seems they can fix anything nowadays (well, at least until ObamaCare goes into effect).

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
It's all over! She is still in the O.R. Getting the wound closed but we just talked to the surgeon and he is very pleased. She'll be another hour before they move her to recovery.

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
It's all over! She is still in the O.R. Getting the wound closed but we just talked to the surgeon and he is very pleased. She'll be another hour before they move her to recovery.

Really GREAT news!

Jim

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Glad to hear it went well and best wishes that she heals and returns to her active life.:flowers:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
We are up in the room. She is snoring. She's also in all sorts of pain when she moves. Tomorrow will probably be a bad day for her as the anestesia will have worn off.

The surgeon, despite starting late, said everything went very smoothly and they finished up about the time I had anticipated them being done had they actually started on time. We later spoke with the anestesiologist and she said the surgery was one of the smoothest of this type she had seen. Everything just worked as it is supposed to. So that said we are hoping the recovery is going to be a quick because the doctors didn't have to fight anything in her back to get it to all come into alignment.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
congrats that sounds great Bob. :thumb:
How long did they say for recovery / being back to her normal activities?

I was told today my back is in bad shape and surgery is a must, not an option. I won't know much more till I see a neurosurgeon. No fun at all.