• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Morning jolt?

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
After all the excitement with the cat coming home I got ready to go feed the steers. As i reached for my sneakers I either got the static shock of my life or my ICD went off. I saw a huge blue flash and about ended up on the floor. Just tested it a while ago and am waiting till a doc reviews the scan to see if it did go off. I checked my BP and it was a little elevated at 138over 79 but that could have just been from worry. Went ahead and fed and loaded the boiler and felt fine. Waiting game till I hear something.:hammer:

mak2

a blue flash? it better not be your ICD or someone plugged it into the wall socket.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
sounds like you may have had an incident from, yes... the excitement, and change of blood flow from bending down to get your shoes.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Well they were sitting about 2ft. from the computer tower and i thought I might have got hit from it. But it stayed on and everything goes through a surge suppressor. I heard the crack as well but nothing seems out of the ordinary. Wife thinks I loaded up with static. Will see what shows in the printout.

mak2

I wonder if static would show up when the doc interrogates it. Let us know, interesting.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
What's an ICD Mule?
Implanted cardiac device. Pacemaker that will also speed up or slow down the heart. Mine was implanted with the suspect wires back in 2007. It would take major surgery to replace the wires so they leave it in. When it runs out of battery I may just let it be. One less thing to worry about.

mak2

They can change the batteries without changing the wires, and you can turn it off with a magnet.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
You can only turn off the one mode with the magnet. They had a problem where the wires were not stripped properly when inserted into the device or the insulation was cracking. I got the recall notice but by then the wires were already grown into the heart and the doc did not want to mess with it. It picks up when I get nailed with the fencer when I am weedeating.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Well I wasn't imagining things and it wasn't static. It did go off and they are reviewing and checking all my old tests now. I guess I should start wearing the bracelet again and carrying the wallet card.

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
I don't understand where the power is coming from? Is something shorting out?

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
It sure seemed like it. And a loud snap like you used to get from a condenser that was loaded up. We used to spin them up on the Sun distributor machine and throw them to somebody. It nails you pretty good. That is what it seemed like. Maybe the vinegar I been drinking is shorting it out!:w00t2:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I don't understand where the power is coming from? Is something shorting out?
It has it's own battery inside of it. And some little condensers that send the jolt out. Back in 2007 a lady with bad wires got nailed like 58 times till they shut it off. They say it takes most folks to their knees. Hell, I looked for a live wire under the sneakers.

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
It sounds pretty scarry to me Mule. I guess it's something you need right? Otherwiser you would have had it turned off by now. Seems like it could be fatel in a couple different ways... such as driving down the highway and not expecting it?

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
It was not that bad but I take pain better than some folks. Except these damn toes. They put too many nerves down there. The worst part is it does give you an audio warning and a daily chirp when it self tests. I can't hear them. Sure got my attention but it would not affect my driving. Unless it hit you a bunch of times.

mak2

I did have a patient tell me it was like getting kicked in the chest...get this...by a mule. Maybe you are just used to it. But it should not be able to spark in air from your fingertips.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I did have a patient tell me it was like getting kicked in the chest...get this...by a mule. Maybe you are just used to it. But it should not be able to spark in air from your fingertips.
Maybe the flash was just a jolt to the optic nerves? I know I heard the snap and it sounded like a condenser. Used to have to short them to work on a/c units.

mak2

If you seen it I just dont know. I will do a little research if I find anything I will let you know. I already had to look into a similar incident a few years ago. A nurse was giving a patient an IV push med. while she was doing it his ICD fired and he jumped. She stated she was shocked. Three manufacturers all said it would be for two low voltage to be able to feel no matter what, remember the leads are inside the heart. One manufacturer even told me they have reports all the time of pateints getting shocked during sex, and the partners never feel the electricity. Did the doc say what arrhymithia you were in?

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
But that was even before todays episode... :whistling:
I was making progress till this happened. Had her talked into jumping in the shower with me till the dogs got to barking. Her brother was coming to bum some lumber and I went to put my shoes on when it nailed me. The RN I talked to said it was too fast so maybe thinking about it had it elevated.:brows::yum:

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Maybe the flash was just a jolt to the optic nerves? I know I heard the snap and it sounded like a condenser. Used to have to short them to work on a/c units.

I guess being a Borg has it's drawbacks.

I do hope the problem is resolved but I doubt the unit will heal itself.

Good luck with that Bill.

Last edited:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Patience with the docs is running short. If I don't hear from them soon a personal visit may be coming up.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I am feeling fine. Never felt bad before or after it went off. Just checked BP and pulse and it was 123/71 w/ pulse of 66. No clue what would have elevated it yesterday to trigger the device. Maybe they have a 5 year test jolt built in.:yum::yum: