• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

The Navy's New Pirate Catcher

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I wanna ride ............................ :thumb:

LCS 2 (to be USS) Independence .......... many more pictures via the link!

The U.S.S Independence was built by General Dynamics. It's called a "littoral combat ship" (LCS), and the tri-maran can move its weapons around faster than any other ship in the Navy. (Ironic that with all that high tech built in, the ship reminds us of the Merrimac ironclad from Civil War days.)

Littoral means close to shore, and that's where these very ships will operate. They're tailor-made for launching helicopters and armored vehicles, sweeping mines and firing all manner of torpedoes, missiles and machine guns.

These ships are also relatively inexpensive. This one's a bargain at $208 million, and the Navy plans to build 55 of them.

This tri-maran is the first of a new fire breathing breed, ready to scoot out of dry dock at a rumored 60 knots.. It's like a speedy and heavily armed aircraft carrier for helicopters.

Pirates Beware!!!

Attachments

• getattachment.jpg
    getattachment.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 448

BoneheadNW

Perhaps the US Navy should be paid on a per-ship-rescued basis to cover the cost of these new ships.
Bonehead

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Perhaps the US Navy should be paid on a per-ship-rescued basis to cover the cost of these new ships.
Bonehead

Agreed. But it still baffles me that the ships, as required by some sort of maritime law, are supposed to be unarmed and defenseless. Seems to me it would be a HELL OF A LOT CHEAPER to put a 6 or 8 man heavily armed team on every one of those ships transiting those waters. The teams could be paid by the insurance companies or the ship owners, they would simply be stationed in the waters off of Somalia and would get on the ships just before they enter the area, exit the ships when they leave the waters and simply transfer to another ship that is then entering the waters.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
All I can say is Bush would have had this resolved by now. Oldblabber mouth is still waiting to see how he can apologize to the world for us shipping goods.........Damned politicians suck!

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
Agreed. But it still baffles me that the ships, as required by some sort of maritime law, are supposed to be unarmed and defenseless. Seems to me it would be a HELL OF A LOT CHEAPER to put a 6 or 8 man heavily armed team on every one of those ships transiting those waters. The teams could be paid by the insurance companies or the ship owners, they would simply be stationed in the waters off of Somalia and would get on the ships just before they enter the area, exit the ships when they leave the waters and simply transfer to another ship that is then entering the waters.

Yes I never understood that either. The companies have the right to arm their crews in international water regardless unless the flag country doesn't allow it which might be the case.

All I can say is Bush would have had this resolved by now. Oldblabber mouth is still waiting to see how he can apologize to the world for us shipping goods.........Damned politicians suck!

You really think so, 8 years in Afghanistan, not a thought given to piracy that has been going on since before 9/11, never mind invading Iraq. Yes he would be the one to fix the piracy problem for sure. He did have 8 years to do so, then didn't he. I do remember Obama giving the orders to take out the captives of the last US ship where the captain was taken. Seemed to turn out well but then what can I say. The captain lived to talk about and his ship went on its way. Navy seals are wonderful shooters though.

mak2

I am pretty sure it was the ships insurance companies that would not let them be armed.