• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

migraines!!

kitty

Do any of you get migraines? I get them alot i take meds but sometimes do not help..any suggestions on a pill that works good?

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
About once every year. Bad enough to put me in bed for two days. Nothing works as for medicine.

kitty

i went to the dr did and mri he said i had a small cyst in my head and some mass around my eyes but said it was not a big deal but when i applied for a job at hospital for a cna he wouldnt sign a work release untill i see a neurologist so i wonder if that could be why i have alot

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
If you get them often, I pity you. I've only had three of them in my life and not for many years. The last one was so bad that I would have gladly killed myself to stop the pain, it was so bad. I don't know what triggers them but, as I said, I haven't had one for years and I'm really glad.

I don't know of any medication that will help. I wish there was because it would be in my medicine cabinet right now .... just in case.

kitty

If you get them often, I pity you. I've only had three of them in my life and not for many years. The last one was so bad that I would have gladly killed myself to stop the pain, it was so bad. I don't know what triggers them but, as I said, I haven't had one for years and I'm really glad.

I don't know of any medication that will help. I wish there was because it would be in my medicine cabinet right now .... just in case.
yea i get them alot i often have to leave work bc they just hit and my vision gets VERY blurry

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
i was sayin i wonder if a cyst could cause migraines? i had a CT scan not mri the dr told me it was a cranial cyst and mass or matter around my eyes he never did show me what the results were just told me...
"i went to the dr did and mri he said i had a small cyst in my head and some mass around my eyes but said it was not a big deal"

Ok , you lost me here Flo Jr..

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
I was getting them a few years back, 2-3 times a day for a while. During an 'attack' I couldn't read or even figure out how to operate my motorcycle. :smileywac Got the scans, saw the neurologist, etc. The doc said some people are just wired that way and I'm going to have them every day for the rest of my life. Not good enough for me as it would affect work, driving, flying, etc. So I did a bit of internet research and found some of the triggers and mitigators that might be related to me. My triggers were poor eating habits, lack of sleep, high-stress job (working on nukes :shock:), too much garlic, and too much caffeine/coffee (which is a trigger AND a mitigator!). Well, I switched jobs, ate better, got more sleep, eliminated garlic (may have been my biggest trigger), and cut back on the coffee a bit except for a hit when I felt an attack coming on. After a few months, VIOLA!!, no more episodes!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Migraine

I had a classic scintillating scotoma, so much so that the neurologist wanted to do a study on me. I had to keep a journal of what I was doing every day, especially before and after an episode. The picture below is close to what the scotoma looked like, except I don't think I saw the whited-out areas. It would start in the center of my vision and slowly work to the peripheral in a semi-circular arc. It took maybe 15-30 minutes and then the actual migraine would hit. During the migraine, I couldn't read or figure out 'complex' tasks like how to start my motorcycle! While I could drive a car, road signs and other visual cues were confusing. It was best to just not try to drive or pull over if it happened enroute. Anyway, I found that when I felt (saw) the scotoma coming on, a quick cup of coffee pretty much eliminated any further migraine symptoms. But the complete 'cure' was doing everything mentioned above...eat and sleep better, reduce stress, determine and eliminate specific food or physical triggers. If all else fails, try a cup of java when you feel it coming on. It may not stop the migraine, but it may ease the symptoms a bit.

Migraine_aura.jpg

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
I had a salesman about ten years ago that would be sitting in the middle of a meeting and get up and walk out to go down to McDonalds and buy a hamburger. Why he could feel one of his migraines coming on and that stopped it everytime. But he had to get the burger right away in the early stages.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I had a salesman about ten years ago that would be sitting in the middle of a meeting and get up and walk out to go down to McDonalds and buy a hamburger. Why he could feel one of his migraines coming on and that stopped it everytime. But he had to get the burger right away in the early stages.
That was probably attributed to low blood sugar, some people can't go a couple of hours without something in their tum tum.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Was his name Ronald and dressed kind of funny?....Sorry couldn't resist:hide:

I am not sure what his name was, I usually stayed away from him as people laughed at him all the time. He had these big red feet, yellow outfit on all the time. :yum:

That was probably attributed to low blood sugar, some people can't go a couple of hours without something in their tum tum.

He wouldn't do it often but he always knew when it was coming on and would get that burger and he was fine in a few minutes.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I was getting them a few years back, 2-3 times a day for a while. During an 'attack' I couldn't read or even figure out how to operate my motorcycle. :smileywac Got the scans, saw the neurologist, etc. The doc said some people are just wired that way and I'm going to have them every day for the rest of my life. Not good enough for me as it would affect work, driving, flying, etc. So I did a bit of internet research and found some of the triggers and mitigators that might be related to me. My triggers were poor eating habits, lack of sleep, high-stress job (working on nukes :shock:), too much garlic, and too much caffeine/coffee (which is a trigger AND a mitigator!). Well, I switched jobs, ate better, got more sleep, eliminated garlic (may have been my biggest trigger), and cut back on the coffee a bit except for a hit when I felt an attack coming on. After a few months, VIOLA!!, no more episodes!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Migraine

I had a classic scintillating scotoma, so much so that the neurologist wanted to do a study on me. I had to keep a journal of what I was doing every day, especially before and after an episode. The picture below is close to what the scotoma looked like, except I don't think I saw the whited-out areas. It would start in the center of my vision and slowly work to the peripheral in a semi-circular arc. It took maybe 15-30 minutes and then the actual migraine would hit. During the migraine, I couldn't read or figure out 'complex' tasks like how to start my motorcycle! While I could drive a car, road signs and other visual cues were confusing. It was best to just not try to drive or pull over if it happened enroute. Anyway, I found that when I felt (saw) the scotoma coming on, a quick cup of coffee pretty much eliminated any further migraine symptoms. But the complete 'cure' was doing everything mentioned above...eat and sleep better, reduce stress, determine and eliminate specific food or physical triggers. If all else fails, try a cup of java when you feel it coming on. It may not stop the migraine, but it may ease the symptoms a bit.

View attachment 38347

My sister gets the aura prior to her migraines, just like you did Bob, and like you.. since she's cut down on the coffee (and chocolate).. they are few and far between.
Doc put her on a low dose beta-blocker to help combat any further attacks.
It's working well.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I got migraines when I was in my 20s and early 30s.
Once I started going through the change-(at 36!!) they stopped.