• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Any Boat projects underway?

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm fixing minor things on the Baja this winter. Cracked plexiglass hatch cover (small one by the corner). Windshield caulking, and I want to get another coat of polish on her, but thats it.

Anyone else doing anything to their boat?

I'd love to see pics of an engine refresh if anyone is doing one, and they feel like sharing / entertaining here on FF. :)

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Got my 3 engines apart. Going to pull the blocks out in maybe a few weeks. Two cams are shot. One outer exhaust spring is broken. Seems oil companies have had to remove some needed additives from regular oil because those additives were screwing up catcons on cars. So now I know and will use either "racing only oil" or Rotella diesel engine oil so the cams last. Going to replace the rings, bearings, oil pumps, timing chains, cams, lifters, valve springs, plug wires, rebuild and repaint the 6 carbs, rebuild the sea water pumps, new belts, rebuild all three alternators and starters, and change every ounce of trim, drive, trans, and steering oil. The last idiot that rebuilt these engines used copious amounts of silicone everywhere. I've found some laying in the lifter galley. I'm sure I'll find more in the oil pickup screen. He even used it between the blowers and the intake.

Will clean up the engine compartment and repaint it with a glossy white epoxy.

Pulling the drives apart just so I can give them a nice new purple paint job. At the same time will re-paint the transom.

Wife is making some new interior items like carpets and wall covering.

Installing a small flat-panel TV and upgrading the stereo a bit.

Have to also pull the port fuel tank to fix a small leak.

Have to reglass the anchor locker up front - the previous owner did not feel he needed to lock down the metal anchor in an offshore Kevlar boat - that anchor bouncing around in there really chewed things up. But should only be about two afternoons of glass work.
I think I won't be done till July.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yeah Fred. Now that's a project. Think of your FF buddies and get a few pics to share along the way. :)
What size engines are you running? Turbo's?

Are you doing the engine refresh yourself? I have one coming up in a year or two, and I've never done one before. Still, I'm considering it. I only have one engine, and I'd have 3 months to get er done even if I didn't start until January.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
It is too ugly to take pix now, but as I put it all back together, I will take pix and be glad to post.

The engines are 572 ci Merlins, with 8-71 BDS blowers, 5psi at 5500 rpm. 750 hp each.

I used to race drag and asphalt oval many years ago (20!), and did my own engine work. I also used to build jet boat engines. So I'm going to to do the assembly and measuring myself, but have selected machine shops do the needed machining work. Doing boat engines is not the same as car engines. You can certainly do it yourself, but remember to use boat engine specs.

You can see pix of the boat at www.putfile.com/waybomb. There's also some video clips with sound. Make sure you plug your computer's sound output to your home stereo, crank up the volume, put the speakers about 12" apart pointing at each other, stick your head in the middle, and start the vids. I especially like the "nice noise" one - warms my heart in the cold winter.

JimR

Charter Member
waybomb, It could very well be your oil screens are plugged and wiped the cams. I haven't heard of anyone else having cam problems with the oil that is out there now. I wonder what the rod bearings and mains look like?

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
There's a lot of chatter on OSO and Speedwake about certain additives having been removed and verified by the oil companies. So now, if I want to continue using flat tappets, instead of rollers, I'll have to use "racing only" lube or Rotella.

I am pulling the engines out in two weeks, maybe three. I had oil pressure, though the right rear was a bit low. I suspect I'll need some crank welding or undercutting. The cylinder walls all look great.

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
I've a little Precision 165 that's going up for sale soon. Right after I replace a couple fittings I broke, and powerwash and wax. It does need new lines, but the main and forsail are like new, as is all the rigging. Then gotta clean up the trailer, it's a galvanized one with lights that actually work. Has 2 HP Honda 4 stroke for aux power. Cuddy cabin, portapotty,, depth sounder, compass, mooring cover for the main. Excellent boat to learn on, I like it, but I gotta get rid of some of these boats.:tiphat::beer:

Wannafish

Floppy Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Replacing both 280 hp Chryslers in my 36' as soon as winter decides it's done...and I find a second replacement engine. I have one sitting on the floor of the garage wating for mate. The heck of it is, once the weather breaks I've also got a lot of farm equipment to do maintenance on...priorities :whistle:

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
Ever see one of these? Land & Sea. Built in trailer.

Attachments

• Land & Sea.JPG
    Land & Sea.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 159
  • Land & Sea 2.JPG
    Land & Sea 2.JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 160
  • scan 2.JPG
    scan 2.JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 161

Wannafish

Floppy Member
SUPER Site Supporter
AV8R-
That is just too cool! They need to market it now. I don't know what's wrong with me, but I really like that concept for a day boat.

Here's my latest project boat -

Attachments

• Dash.JPG
    Dash.JPG
    91 KB · Views: 153
  • fullsholt.jPG
    fullsholt.jPG
    104.9 KB · Views: 148
  • stbdaft.JPG
    stbdaft.JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 149

Wannafish

Floppy Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Av8r3400 said:
A friend of a friend was GIVING it away. "Come get it and it's yours." (Gone by now, I'm sure)
`

I now have 3 boats in my yard ranging from 14' to 27', with a 36' stored at a marina. I think I had probably better NOT get any more boats...:pat:

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
Rick; Nice Formula. What's the story on it? What ya got for power. That could be a nice looking boat.:thumb::tiphat::beer::beer:

Wannafish

Floppy Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Someone on another (boating) site mentioned he knew someone that had it for sale. It had been in winter storage in a building that burnt. The boat didn't burn but it sure didn't do the gelcoat any good.

Twin 454's with the Edlebrock performer kit with Bravo 1 drives and K-planes. S'posed to be ~425 h.p. each and push the boat to ~75mph. I've had them hooked up to the muffs and had both running. Drivetrain appears good. :coolshade

Sure was a long ride from central Michigan to Richmond Virginia and back (in one weekend) to pick it up with only my dog for company.:pat:

I started grinding into the cracks on the gelcoat, and am now thinking about just sealing it with CARC (Chemical and Acid Resistant) paint as all cracks are above the water line. Otherwise I'm going to need alot of gelcoat. Maybe I'll go talk to someone at the Four Winns factory down the street...

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
WF,
Are you thinking of restoring the Formula or are you using the engines in your other boat? I bet you got some looks towing the formula in that condition.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Doc said:
I'm fixing minor things on the Baja this winter. Cracked plexiglass hatch cover (small one by the corner). Windshield caulking, and I want to get another coat of polish on her, but thats it.

Anyone else doing anything to their boat?

I'd love to see pics of an engine refresh if anyone is doing one, and they feel like sharing / entertaining here on FF. :)

Well... I am seriously thinking of building a Ark . We have had so much rain in Northern Calif. that I just about need one . Does anybody no how long a cubit is ????:pat:

Wannafish

Floppy Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Doc said:
WF,
Are you thinking of restoring the Formula or are you using the engines in your other boat? I bet you got some looks towing the formula in that condition.

The term "Rubber necking" comes to mind...
I was asked "Was that boat in a fire or something..." so many times I finally had to resort to "No, why do you ask?" :pat:

Original intent was to repower the 36' with the engines and part out the rest...unfortunately, I never was too bright!

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Wannafish said:
I was asked "Was that boat in a fire or something..." so many times I finally had to resort to "No, why do you ask?"

"Here's your sign..." - (Bill Engvall)