• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

This knife is good for sailors.

The Tourist

Banned
As I stated in another thread, I just bought a new knife for myself.

(BTW, I want to say upfront, I am not a rep for the company. I paid for this with my own money. No promos, no kick-backs, only the current sale.)

There are some professions that just beat the hell out of a knife. It's not a matter of deliberate abuse, the knives are just destined to lead tough lives due to the work load and the elements.

I just bought a Myerchin B300 folder, with a marlin spike, in plain edge. Hit their website, there's a sale on this model.

My reasoning is simple. The knife is tough, like in old world tough. A heavy frame, secure locks on the blade and the spike. This is to be my truck knife, and who knows what I'm going to have to do with it.

(A marlin spike is used to unfasten wet rope knots without having to cut the rope, thus saving it for future uses.)

I do not believe in serrations, unless the sailor would be doing a very long haul. If he's out fishing for a few weeks on a commerical job, routine maintenance will still keep edges sharp.

You will notice that the blade is made from good old fashioned 440 stainless. Nothing exotic, no uber-alloys. This is a deliberate choice, and for good reason.

Stainless 440 (and that means A, B, and C) is all about 18 percent chromium. Newer stainless alloys are about 12 percent. While no steel is stain proof except for H1, the more the chromium the better it is to resist corrosion. You might not always be in a position to clean your knife immediately.

Living in Wisconsin, I am exposed to wet snow, ice and very muggy summers. In any emergency there's going to be one of those elements, and the knife still has to function. Corrosion on the edge will dull it, given enough time. For my purposes, this knife might well sit in a damp glove box for months between cleanings--if I remember.

And after abuse by weather or neglect, the knife still has to cut in an emergency.

If you're a sailor, or if you are going to be near salty ocean water, I believe there's no better product than something from Myerchin. I picked a folder because I like folders, however they do make fixed blades. Most of these knives are offered serrated, if you need that feature.

BTW, if you're a working cowboy, a heavy construction worker, or use heavy equipment, I still believe the Myerchin is worth a look. You snowcat operators should also give this line a serious look.

I have never heard of a Myerchin that failed. Again, I do not sell them.