• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

sinus infection / cold

3MT

How can you tell if you just have a cold or if you have a sinus infection? What are the indicators? Late Sunday afternoon I started to feel lousy and I could feel my sinuses draining down the back of my throat. My throat started to hurt when I swallowed. Monday morning when I got up my throat didn't hurt any more, but my voice was real deep. I coughed a lot and sneezed, got hot and cold spells all day. Tuesday was the same but not as bad. Last night I took two Tylenol Cold Multi-Symptom before I went to bed. Today my symptoms have to about a 1/3 of what they were Monday and Tuesday, but after dinner tonight I got a real bad cold spell. I couldn't get warm no how. I finally took two Advil and a hot shower. That made me feel better. I don't know whether to go to the doctor or not. If it's just a cold I'll ride it out. I don't want to go to the doctor and find out it's just a cold. So how can you tell the difference between a cold and a sinus infection? The weather around here is terrible for this time of year, cold, damp and rainy. I heard this weekend is supposed to be nice and warm with highs in the upper 70's. I could use that right now! :thumb:

American Woman

Site Supporter
Are you running a fever? Are you seeing greenish or grayish mucus? If you are then you probably should go to the Dr.

3MT

Thanks for the reply AW. Yea, I have a fever, mucus has been clear/grayish/yellowish. I'll take my temp tomorrow morning. If it's up I'll call the doc. I didn't want to be a weenie and go to the doc's if it's only a cold. Thanks again.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
A simple cold virus can be tough, but normally the body aches and fever subside after the first day or so.
If you are experiencing prolonged or worsening symptoms (as you seem to be) I'd say you've got something going on there that needs to be zapped.
Lingering body aches and a temp that lasts more than a day would indicate a bacterial infection.
Feel better MT!

3MT

Thanks PG. I went to the doc's today and got checked out. He said I have a whopper of a sinus infection. I got some antibiotics and after only taking two of them I'm starting to feel better. I hope I can get a good nights sleep tonight. I haven't slept good since Sunday night. Only slept a couple of hours each night then I would wake up and toss and turn the rest of the night. In fact I'm going to bed in a few minutes. Thanks all and good night. :beer:

urednecku

Site Supporter
A real HOT shower, running over my head/face, for several minutes, seems to help break up that crap & drain it out. Even tho it only lasts a little while, it's nice to breath for a few minutes.

rback33

Hangin in Tornado Alley
SUPER Site Supporter
A real HOT shower, running over my head/face, for several minutes, seems to help break up that crap & drain it out. Even tho it only lasts a little while, it's nice to breath for a few minutes.

It's amazing my plumbing drains. The crap that has been coming out of my head in the shower each morning is better than gorilla glue. To see it all go down the shower drain... gotta be plugged up somewhere....

urednecku

Site Supporter
It's amazing my plumbing drains. The crap that has been coming out of my head in the shower each morning is better than gorilla glue. To see it all go down the shower drain... gotta be plugged up somewhere....

:yum::yum: If your wife washed her hair before that started, you'r gonna have to just REPLACE the drain lines, cause that crap, mixed with hair, ain't GONNA come out!!!!:yum::yum:

3MT

maybe you should save that stuff to hang wallpaper with!! :mrgreen: I'm feeling much better now. Not quite completely recovered yet, but getting there.

rback33

Hangin in Tornado Alley
SUPER Site Supporter
maybe you should save that stuff to hang wallpaper with!! :mrgreen: I'm feeling much better now. Not quite completely recovered yet, but getting there.

Crap. Mine has evolved to this dry, unproductive cough. Downing drugs like mad. Got the antibiotics for the sinus infection, Musinex D for the other crud and eating cough drops like candy.. throat feels raw.... Gonna have the best abs on the planet with these coughing fits I am throwing though....:bangin:

urednecku

Site Supporter
rback, for the sore throat, try some Lady Velvet schnapps, in a spray bottle like the sucrets. Not to get drunk, (like I know ya would like to do, just to forget the crud) . There is just enough alcohol in it to take the sting out for a little while.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I think you're getting Sucrets and Chloraseptic spray confused there Redneck.
Sucrets are a throat lozenge that soothes and doesn't have the same ingredients as the other in their products.

Chloraseptic contains benzocaine-which does little in the long run to help a sore throat, because it's very drying.

Here's a good old remedy for the junk that's going around now, plus lots of rest, FLUIDS, and of course- the meds a doc may have put you on.

Attachments

• cold.JPG
    cold.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 163

urednecku

Site Supporter
OK PG, I think you'r right. I couldn't think of the Chloraseptic name. But doesn't Sucrets also make the spray?
ANYHOW, years ago I tried the Chloraseptic spray, and it had about as much affect as water. Poured the stuff out & filled the bottle up with the schnapps, & that did what the Chloraseptic was supposed to do.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm not aware of Sucrets making a spray.. and you're right about the Chloraseptic, the relief lasts a short time, and your throat may be even more irritated after using it more than a day or so.
;)
Benzocaine is one of the worst topical pain relief ingredients ever invented.
Remember Solarcaine sun burn spray when we were kids?
It contained the same ingredient ( I think they've changed it since).

3MT

Dang... I'm having a relapse. I have a dry unproductive cough and I still can't hear right out of my right ear. Seems like there is pressure in there. Any way I went back to the doctor's today and he said there is some fluid behind the ear drum that is causing the pressure sensation. (How can he tell that by looking on the outside of my ear drum)? I'm still not over the sinus infection. So back on some more antibiotics. I hope you other guys are feeling better by now. :beer:

rback33

Hangin in Tornado Alley
SUPER Site Supporter
Dang... I'm having a relapse. I have a dry unproductive cough and I still can't hear right out of my right ear. Seems like there is pressure in there. Any way I went back to the doctor's today and he said there is some fluid behind the ear drum that is causing the pressure sensation. (How can he tell that by looking on the outside of my ear drum)? I'm still not over the sinus infection. So back on some more antibiotics. I hope you other guys are feeling better by now. :beer:

He can tell because the tympanic membrane is pretty thin. Kinda like waxpaper I suppose and you can tell there is fluid by the dark appearance.

3MT

He can tell because the tympanic membrane is pretty thin. Kinda like waxpaper I suppose and you can tell there is fluid by the dark appearance.

Thanks. I just opened my mouth a while ago and I had this popping sound in my ear that really hurt. Right after that happened I could hear better for a couple of seconds then it went shut again. Is there anything you can do to help get rid of that fluid or does it go away naturally?

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks. I just opened my mouth a while ago and I had this popping sound in my ear that really hurt. Right after that happened I could hear better for a couple of seconds then it went shut again. Is there anything you can do to help get rid of that fluid or does it go away naturally?
I actually came down with an inner ear infection as a result of the recent virus I had.
I've been on Bactrim for it and it took care of it.

You don't really want to put anything in your ear MT.
If it's some junk in your inner ear (eustachian tube), it'll clear up sooner or later considering you're on antibiotics. ;)
The pressure and all those popping sounds can be maddening lol

rback33

Hangin in Tornado Alley
SUPER Site Supporter
It's a tuma.

Yeah... listen to AG and not Bobcat...

As she alluded to... it got better for a second because the fluid is in your inner ear. You opened your mouth and the pressure equalized through the eustachian tube like it should. This is similar to why kids should chew gum on planes. Unfortunately it is fluid not air that is causing the issues and the pressure resumed immediately. Like PG said.. the antibiotics and time will clear it up... u are no longer a candidate for tubes which is the only other option.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Sorry, just saw K-cop again a couple of nights ago. :rolf2:
Yeah, and I DID have the perfect LOLcat pic somewhere.
Little white kitty sitting ontop big white kitty's head.
Big kitty is saying "It's Not A Toooooomah" :smile:
Sadly, I wasn't fast enough to search for it this fine evening LOL!

3MT

I always listen to PG and never to Bobcat! :poke: PG, I'm not going to put anything in my ear, I was thinking about applying warm/hot compress on the ear/neck area. That's probably not a good idea either is it? Oh well, enough of my whining about my ear. :beer:

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
Bill Cosby did a public service ad years ago. In it he said your should never put anything in your ear... except your elbow!

NATO123

Banned
http://www.freestockphotosclub.com/nature/small-green-lemon-on-the-tree/I don't know whether this works to you.Because I experience this from a tropical country.When I get symptoms of cold and all the sinus infections I take the juice of 4 small green lemons ( I am not sure about it's real name or the botanical name) without water and added some salt and pepper .Very hard to take.But swallow at once.It works to me .But careful some fruits (lemons) in citrus family gives the negative effect in sinus.Practically realize which lemon is the correct medicine.In case of green lemon is tested by myself.
small-green-lemon-on-the-tree

Last edited:

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'd suggest this: http://www.unimedprod.com/

But then you might really hate me. I tried it once when I had a bad sinus infection and I think the sinus infection was more enjoyable! :eek:

This little water pot is a miracle for sinus suffers. I wouldn't want to be without mine, ever! Cheap to use, can be done as often as nessary, and has no side effects. If your in dust and dirt, it is the best home remedy around.:biggrin:

Kirk