• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Luck is running out.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
We have been dodging most of the snow so far this winter. Even now there are lake effect bands within 20 miles of us. Tonight into Saturday it looks like we are going to be in the heavy snow band with 7" plus forecast locally. Local gal says we here in the western hills area could see a foot easily. Time to plug in the skid steer and move some more wood over close to the boiler and cover it up before it gets here.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I've been watching the W. NY forecast closely as I'm driving through it later today and again on Sunday.

One of my destinations (SW of Buffalo) has gotten over 3' already in the past couple days.

I checked the Thruway and it appears much better today compared to yesterday. It's been a real mess from Buffalo to the PA line and I heard it was closed for awhile earlier in the week.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
The area you are going to as well as north of Syracuse on I-81 are all but undrivable. They have been getting hammered for 3 days straight and this storm will just add to it. Forecast is for 3 inches per hour up there.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I've been watching The Weather Channel, Buffalo news/weather and the following 2 sites which give I-79 and I-90 road conditions.
http://www.thruway.ny.gov/travelers/map/index.html?layer=incidents
http://www.511pa.com/Traffic.aspx?Region=Northwestern Region (Erie)

Everything I've been hearing is that W. NY (snowbelt section along Lake Erie) is going to get 3-5" today but that will taper off (or stop) by dusk this evening and there will be a lull until that storm named Elecktra or something like that pulls into the area late tonight and pounds the area all day Saturday.

If I pull through that area tonight, park tomorrow (when they're really expecting more snow) then pull out Sunday, I should theoretically be OK as I'll be dodging the storms.

Leni

Umm! I hate to tell you folks that it is in the upper 60's today and slated to go into the low 70's over then next few days.

bczoom, is this a trip that you can put off? That doesn't sound lke weather that I'd want to travel in. You could get stuck.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
It's going to be a beautiful weekend. :) High's in the low 20's, lows in the teens or single digits.

Roads are still listed as snow/ice but I think they'll get better. I only have to drive 270 miles.

We could theoretically postpone the trip but that would push it into January which is traditionally worse. The food has been bought, arrangements made... so we really want to try to do this weekend.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks Leni. I will be careful.

This is our Christmas weekend with my family. After this weekend, it's too hard to get everyone together due to other family commitments.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Cathy and I are headed for CT on Saturday the 21st. Although Ohio can be deadly treacherous, Pennsylvannia and Western New York worry us the most.
Muley be warned, you might have company.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
we have had 3 snow events that have all melted away now our town is covered in 3 inches of ice and even more else where. golf shoes or logging boots would be handy for walking around now.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Not nearly that bad in East Texas. We've been getting down below freezing at night but the days have been in the 40's and raining.

It better be dry tomorrow as I'm ringing bells for the Salvation Army for 3 hours at Walmart. Please be warm!!!! In the 50's wil do.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
We are at 9 right now with real fine snow. The heavy stuff will be Sat. afternoon and they now want 6-10 or 12+ depending on who is forecasting.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
In normal weather and road conditions, the Christmas trip from St Louis to the kids place in NE Connecticut is about 20 hours with pit stops. I am packing plenty of CD's, a book or two and plenty of road food snacks. The cold, snow and ice forecasts for the next two weeks suggests we may spend some quality time together in stalled traffic, or a ditch.

As we plan our strategy for the 1,200 mile trip thru the winterland of North east USA, my wife and I cannot but be somewhat regretful that Al Gore was soooooooo wrong.:whistling:

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
In normal weather and road conditions, the Christmas trip from St Louis to the kids place in NE Connecticut is about 20 hours with pit stops. I am packing plenty of CD's, a book or two and plenty of road food snacks. The cold, snow and ice forecasts for the next two weeks suggests we may spend some quality time together in stalled traffic, or a ditch.

As we plan our strategy for the 1,200 mile trip thru the winterland of North east USA, my wife and I cannot but be somewhat regretful that Al Gore was soooooooo wrong.:whistling:

You be careful.

As it turned out I only had to ring bells for 2 hours today. The temp was about 40 degrees but the wind was blowing straight out of the north at about 15 mph. It was bloody cold. We took in a lot of money though for the Salvation Army.

I don't envy you guys up north in the slightest.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well, I'm back. Friday night wasn't too bad. Not sure if I was riding on ice or just wet on the interstates but there was only about 40 miles of snow covered roads.

Saturday it dumped another 8" or so. Roads sucked but we only had about 60 miles to travel.

I thought Sunday was supposed to be clear. Well, it was near Lake Ontario but once we got near Lake Erie, there was all kinds of snow and near white-out conditions at times. Driving sucked until we got South of Erie PA and about 50 miles away from the lake.

Leni

Right now it is 74 degrees with partially cloudy and a light breeze from the north. The clouds are pretty thin. We may have some rain on Thursday.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
We have back to back Alberta clippers rolling in tonight and tomorrow night. They only expect a few inches from each. Still supposed to warm to 40 on Friday. That will make a slushy mess out of things.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Cathy and I are headed for CT on Saturday the 21st. Although Ohio can be deadly treacherous, Pennsylvannia and Western New York worry us the most.
Muley be warned, you might have company.
Ohio should be easy peezy driving this weekend. Temps are predicted to be 56 on Friday and 44 Saturday with rain showers.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Ohio should be easy peezy driving this weekend. Temps are predicted to be 56 on Friday and 44 Saturday with rain showers.

Thanks Doc.

Yes, it is looking better there for our trip.

Once just east of Columbus, we were in a 24 box truck, stopped in traffic on ice. The wind came and just slid us right off the highway. Another time just west of Columbus, we saw five individual cars, in a span of three minutes, just lose it on I-70 and spin right off the road. Ohio I 70 can be treacherous.

We plan on leaving St Louis 8:00 Friday nite and being thru Ohio by 5:00 AM. Breakfast on top of the mountain, Cabella's in West Virginia just east of Wheeling. Then Pennsylvania, New York and eastern CT will be in daylight

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
We plan on leaving St Louis 8:00 Friday nite and being thru Ohio by 5:00 AM. Breakfast on top of the mountain, Cabella's in West Virginia just east of Wheeling. Then Pennsylvania, New York and eastern CT will be in daylight
That's an awfully southern route you're taking... Isn't I-80 a faster, more direct route? I don't particularly care for I-70/I-76.

If you're through Ohio by 5:00 AM (you're already taking your time since you should be in Wheeling WV by 4:30 AM), what are you going to do for several hours waiting for Cabela's to open at 8:00?