• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

kayak suggestions

tommu56

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I tried out a Coleman Cruiser kayak yesterday and failed miserably any suggestion on what to look for?

A canoe isn't a problem and I use them all the time.
But we were looking for an ocean sit upon but I am all ears because with my inability to keep it up right has me looking at other options.

Part of my issue is my "trim and lean":w00t2: physique!!!
I need one that will handle me 330lbs and another person.

Remember I have a lot of ballast above and around my waste line:brows: helping and hindering me.

tom

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
Years ago, I had a Keppler foldboat and it was great, I used it all over the Prince William Sound, you can put a spray skirt on them and roll them over if you need to and put them back up in an instant (with a little practice). They make a wide selection of models for differnt uses.

http://www.klepper.ca/

You can put them in your trunk of the car, or fly out to remote lakes somewhere and use them....

Anyway, good luck! They are a blast!

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I had a romany Explorer 21" wide but 17'long. Swivel your hips to balance and use your paddle. You just have to learn . Slap that paddle down and move your hips if you start to go over. Learn on a single one ,It may be easyier. Some are more rouned on the bottom and really tip. A doctor I paddled with had one. If you leaned so far it would breakloose and you would be on your side in a heartbeat. It had other advantages that made up for it. I owned the klepper also. The one I have now is a sit on kind. It isn't good for camping.
Lots of fun surfing and good training. Take some classes. I did some training indoors in swimming pools. My worst spill was flipping the 17' over the end and getting thrown .
Don't get discouraged by your size. Just get a nice day and plan on getting wet.