• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Windows Up Date Pop-up

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
No!!! I have Microsoft updates install automatically. If I get a pop up from Windows that says I need to install something, I junk it.

Several years ago my wife got a pop up from Microsoft saying that an important update needed to be installed, which she did. It was ransomware and locked up her computer and required a payment of 50-pounds Sterling to unlock it. It took me 2 full days to get in and around it and get rid of it. She learned a lesson ... and so did I.

My updates come directly and automatically from Microsoft. Anything else gets trashed.

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
No!!! I have Microsoft updates install automatically. If I get a pop up from Windows that says I need to install something, I junk it.

Several years ago my wife got a pop up from Microsoft saying that an important update needed to be installed, which she did. It was ransomware and locked up her computer and required a payment of 50-pounds Sterling to unlock it. It took me 2 full days to get in and around it and get rid of it. She learned a lesson ... and so did I.

My updates come directly and automatically from Microsoft. Anything else gets trashed.

That's why I didn't click on it. Although surfing around the web it sure looks like it's the real thing.
But I'm going to wait and see if there is more about it.

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
I tried that link and that has nothing to do with the "Creator's" Update.
The notice kept bugging me until I finally scheduled an update.
It must have taken it at least and hour to do it.
Then as it was restarting it told me how great it is blah blah blah.
A better way to open tabs, more wonderful junk . . . excuse me that would be "Aps," (I guess?) to buy.
And it put an Icon (that looked like an envelope) for access to Hotmail or Outlook, (or whatever the hell they call it now).
I unpinned that Icon from my taskbar
And of course it touts "Edge."
Which means I will keep on using Firefox.

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
This "Creator's" Update sucks -it's legit from Microsoft but it still sucks. Now my Control Panel is all F up.
Thanks for the crap Micro slop

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
This "Creator's" Update sucks -it's legit from Microsoft but it still sucks. Now my Control Panel is all F up.

I keep getting it too, Cat.
Searched what it was for and turns out it's not really needed.

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
In general I avoid the latest and greatest update for a couple of weeks. By then the kinks are probably worked out and if it is fake you'll know it.,

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter

Cat,I don't know what all you may have added but if you scroll down on this page and click on Learn About Comprehensive Security, you'll find the only thing I cared to add from it.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/features?OCID=win10_null_vanity_win10features

It had to reboot a few times to complete the process, but was well worth it.
Didn't care for anything else that comes with the update.

The only thing I'm going to have to get used to is the two new things up above the tool bar.

Those set these tabs aside/tabs you've set aside , and there is a web note and share button as well on the actual tool bar itself.

I know there are probably some things you may use otherwise, but that's all I got from the update other than some changes with Windows Defender.